Prenatal problems (tmi)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
So, my gyn has me on a prescription prenatal called prenate DHA. He thinks it's ultra-mega-awesome because it has DHA in it, which is good for babies' brain development. It also has Colace (a stool softener in it). But despite the Colace, it makes me SOOOO constipated. Now that's not the issue - the issue is that when I'm this constipated, I get really nauseous. And I get headaches. And I eventually have panic attacks.

My old prenatal didn't make me this sick. It also costs $40 less. But it doesn't have DHA in it. I really want to switch back, because I really don't need this much nausea right now, let alone when I'm pregnant and morning sick. But I also want to do what's best for my baby.

I would ask my OB, but I don't see her for another 2 weeks, and I cannot wait that long.

What would you guys do?

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I woudl switch back to the old one. It is better for you to feel good and actually take the vitamin. You can always try again taking it in a few weeks.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 26th, 2009, 03:02 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to say if you're personally having problems with it I would ask to be switched back. If it helps you feel less sick then you should be able to take in more food which can help of course.

Plus remember....for thousands and thousands of years women have had successful pregnancies without having DHA prenaatal vitamins lol. I always have to remind myself of stuff like that. But I'm the same way; I'm paranoid if I even miss my vitamin for one day.

I actually take Prenate DHA and think it's great. But for me I was 25 weeks when I had Roald and until then I had no constipation or hemorrhoids. After having him I developed hemorrhoids somehow. I'm back on them and am very regular, defnitely not constipated. But everyone's different.

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
May 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
littlebeansmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I would probably switch back. Gosh, my new ob/gyn asked me what prenatal I was taking and when I said Walmart brand, he told me it's one of the best around. Now granted, it doesn't have the DHA stuff in it, but I didn't take that stuff with my DS#1 and he's a pretty sharp cookie if I do say so myself!
DS #1:

My precious angel DS#2:

My rainbow DS#3:

My Princess #4:
May 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would switch back. Better for you to feel good and not have panic attacks imo.

Owen, Avery, Samantha and forever missing Jake born still 08/01/99.

May 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Oh honey, don't forget that you can get DHA by itself! The enfamil lipil is a DHA/ARA supplement. If it's the DHA that he's going for, take it separately! I have the hardest time with prenatals when I'm pregnant. They make me SO sick. I'm lucky if I feel well enough to take one once a week.

So, yeah, switch back and look for a separate dha supplement.

May 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
I take what Brittanie mentioned in addition to my pre-natals from Target. Do what makes you feel better. You should call your Dr. and explain what is going on.

May 27th, 2009, 10:18 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Count me in as someone who wouldn't take vitamins that make her sick; I'd switch back! Typical prenatals make me sick too, but the prenatal vitamins that I'm taking now are AWESOME (and I have yet to be sick like with any other prenatals)! Alas, there is no DHA in it, but it's got everything else I need.

Switch back. There's no need to make yourself sick

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
May 27th, 2009, 06:11 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
So I have gone off the prenatal from hell, and I'm taking a prenatal break through Monday. I already am starting to feel a little better. Then I'll go back on my old prenatal and a DHA supplement.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Sounds like a good plan.

May 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear you are starting to feel better.

Owen, Avery, Samantha and forever missing Jake born still 08/01/99.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search