Level 2 Ultrasound

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's scheduled for July 27. at Hershey Med Center.

When I told Bill about it all last night when he got home he got very worked up. Very worried.

And it's pretty much all he talked about today and he kept doing research. Actually, he found stuff about lean cords I never read and it did not make us feel any better.

We are acting as though everything is going to be fine but we feel worried and scared. He told me"I can't imagine how you feel, but I know I can't go through that again. I will punch anyone who says anything wrong" He meant if we lose another baby....it will be almost unbearable. Plus I would have to give birth under those circumstances again. And this is a problem....we are both thinking as if she is going to be born dead.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! And I know everyone wants to say don't worry, etc. But honestly, until they give us a reason not to, I don't believe anyone in our situation would be able to not worry. I mean...I'm 21 weeks and they are telling me exactly what they told me at the same exact point when I was pregnant with Roald. And while lean cords are not genetic...we read that "familial recurrences have been described". Plus....from whta we read they canot be diagnosed prenatally. So even if the level 2 shows nothing wrong except for that she is small...we are going to have the real possibility that she also has a lean cord...and from what we read on this very informative site...most babies with this problem are stillborn.

Kill me now. Or magically keep Vera safe and make it November so she can be born into our arms, safe and alive.

Sorry for the huge rant but I have so much emotion going on right now.

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
July 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Oh honey. I want to tell you that everything is going to be okay. I want to give you that guarantee. I do SO much. I can't and I know we both know it.

I'm praying for you though honey. SO hard. That's as close as I can get to magically keeping her safe.

July 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Bonnie, I am emailing my sister about this tomorrow morning. She is a genetic counselor, so she's an expert on "family recurrences". When you say lean cord, do you have a more specific term? Was it a velamentous insertion? Two vessel? Let me know if there are any specifics, and I will be sure to ask her about it tomorrow.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

July 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Proud Momma
oh hun, I would only imagine that you're worrying like crazy about this. You know we all have Vera in our thoughts and prayers that everything is fine and that you have nothing to worry about.

Many Bonnie.
July 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Rebecca-Roald had a very thin or lean cord with a severe Wharton's jelly deficiency...his real cause of death was determined to be "umbilical cord stricture" which can also be called cord contriction. Basically it means for some unknown reason baby's cord is very thin and has no Wharton's jelly where it meets baby's body, making fatalities very likely since the cord cannot withstand the usual twisting and tugging a healthy cord would. It is not a genetic problem but there have been cases where it has happened twice for people and one case in which a woman lost 3 babies to this same problem. Some sources say it CANNOT be diagnosed prenatally, while some say "it can be diagnosed with ultrasonography" (however I don't know if that is theoretical or actually PROVEN).

Babies are usually small for gestational age and fatalities usually occur circa 21 weeks (Roald died about 24 weeks and I had him at 24 weeks 6 days). I'm 21 weeks now. So who knows. All I know is we are going crazy. But we are already going shopping and everything since setting up the nursery will help plant the idea that she could be healthy and born alive more firmly into our heads.

July 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
She's at work now, but I'll try to get a hold of her tonight or tomorrow (I think she's off) to see what she knows. I did some googling myself, and I was unable to find any evidence of this type of cord structure abnormality recurring in subsequent pregnancies. "Thin Cord Syndrom" was first described in 1961, so they have 4 decades of information to back them up. You've described cases where it did recur, but that seems to be more horrible luck than a genuine genetic trend. Not that that will silence your fears of course. I'm going to go onto PubMed later and see what else I can dig up. Did the sonographer say anything about Vera's size? Because if she's normal size then that would seem to indicate that there isn't a thin cord problem.

July 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can only imagine the way you feel. I can imagine I will feel much the same. You, your husband and Vera are in my thoughts.

Do you mind sharing the website? I would like more informaiton aobut it too considering it is most likely the same thing that killed Colm.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Rebecca-Yes, she is small for her gestational age. That is exactly why we are freaking out. At my 21 week ultrasound with Roald he measured a week small. They didn't tell me 'til 6 days later. This is how it went:

Oct 23-21 week ultrasound
Oct 29-told he measured small, ultrasound slated for Nov 19
Somewhere circa Nov 10-Roald died
Nov 13-found out, labored Nov 14, born Nov 15

It makes me sick. I was exactly 21 weeks when we had Vera's ultrasound and she said she was measuring 19 weeks 6 days. But at her 11 week U/S they said she was pretty much perfect size, which makes me think my dates are very correct and she is small for some reason or another. Of course I am scared she is small 'cause of her cord. It just sucks because they are telling me the same thing they told me with Roald at the exact same time in gestation. So I am scared she's got a maximum of 3 or 4 weeks to live. I shouldn't do that but it's hard.

Meghan-sure, I will send you what we found. Bill saved it all somewhere so let me dig it out and I'll send it to you.

July 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
So I just got off the phone with my sister. She said that there is only one kind of umbilical defect that has any risk of recurrence, and that is an extremely short cord, and that's only if it occurs as part of a particular syndrome. Thin Cord Syndrome does not recur. The cases you mentioned are fantastically rare occurrences.

She said that the level 2 ultrasound is probably because you have a history of stillbirth. Vera may be measuring small because some healthy babies do that sometimes, but because of Roald they want to be sure.

My sister recommended that you call your doctor, explain to him that you are anxious, and ask him why he ordered the level 2 ultrasound. Then you at least know what to worry about.

I won't tell you that everything is fine, because I don't know that. But when I googled, I found this: Thin Umbilical cord. So clearly thin umbilical cords can be seen on ultrasound, and it looks like they monitor closely and then do a c-section.

I hope this helps. What I really want to do is give you a hug

Last edited by rebeccabaltimore and more; July 16th, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
July 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry you are going through this, Bonnie. I hope that there is nothing wrong and that Vera is fine. I am and will continue to think of you.

July 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM
littlebeansmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
One other thing to consider....if you're really worried about it.....can you call Hershey Med back and see if they can change the date of your u/s? I know that when I go to the Perinatalogist, the OB's office makes the appointment for me, but if it's not convenient, I'm supposed to call and change it. Would that be a possibility? Could you call them directly and explain the situation to them and see if they can move it up any into next week? Just a thought.
DS #1:

My precious angel DS#2:

My rainbow DS#3:

My Princess #4:
July 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
littlebeansmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Double Post.....stupid computer!
DS #1:

My precious angel DS#2:

My rainbow DS#3:

My Princess #4:

Last edited by littlebeansmommy; July 16th, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
July 16th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry you are going through even more stress. Can you call and ask for your u/s to be moved up? I thought they could tell if there was a cord problem with the blood flow in the cord? I will be thinking about you and Vera.

Owen, Avery, Samantha and forever missing Jake born still 08/01/99.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search