Induced Early for Subsequent Pregnancies?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2009, 02:03 PM
SimplyJenalee's Avatar Super Mommy
My current due date with Tessa is December 12th. My OB told me I will be induced no later than 39 weeks which is December 5th. I delivered Alyssa on the 1st of December and more than anything I would like to have Tessa before the 1st.

I was just wondering for you mommies that had babies after your loss...did they induce you early? If so...how early?

I just don't understand that if the baby is considered full term at what like....37 weeks....why can't they just induce me then?

I just want Tessa out and in my arms before there is even a chance for something to happen. I loss Alyssa at 39W6D. If they would have induced me at 39 Weeks like they are this pregnancy I would have a bouncing 8 month old right now...but I don't.
August 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Proud Momma
I was thinking of asking the Dr.'s the same thing for sweet pea here. I hate thinking the word "induce" for this baby because we had to induce Katrina for a different, horribly sad reason, so I haven't thought too much about it and don't want to bring it up to my Dr's until we're passed the 24 week mark and know everything's going well with sweet pea.

So I totally understand why you would want to do that. I don't see why they should have a problem or anything. People go in for scheduled c-sections at around 38 weeks, so why not induce instead, we still want to go through natural labour.
August 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with Owen at 37 weeks 5 days. I was going to be induced 4 days before his due date but had a kind of breakdown thinking how I had to be pregnant on Jake's birthday and emotionally couldn't handle it. They gave me an amnio and owen's lung were developed so they induced me and I had Owen the next day. I was also induced with my other 2. Avery at 39 +3 and Sammy at 37+4 after another amnio. I think it is 38 weeks when they consider you full term. I should say I had the amnios because I had gd and that slows lung development.
I felt the same, I just want my baby in my arms crying knowing he was alive. I would talk to your doc about options and let them know what you want and maybe they can induce you a bit earlier.

Owen, Avery, Samantha and forever missing Jake born still 08/01/99.

Last edited by LauraG; August 1st, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
August 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah with alyssa they had to induce labor after we found out she was gone. I was only dialated 1 cm when I was admitted to the hospital. It took days for my body to actually cooperate. I was admitted Saturday afternoon and delivered her Monday night. If I had it my way I would love to have constant monitoring the last month but that isn't an option. I will be a kick count queen!
August 1st, 2009, 06:04 PM
TanyaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It may be different in Canada and is definitely different from one Dr. to another but the idea of being induced early or even asking for a section early wasn't an option for me. We lost our son around 37 weeks and I delivered him VBAC as my first dd was a section. With my 3rd, my pregnancy after my loss, I wanted to go early and I was in fact told that I could go 10 days overdue before they would do anything. Sucks! But, I was due Oct.14 and on Oct.17 I started having contractions completely on my own for once and on Oct.19/07 I had my 3rd (and likely final) baby by VBAC with no intervention aside from my waters being broken by the Dr. I hope for your own sanity that they can do an induction early for you. It was incredibly hard to go overdue after a loss but for me, I am really glad that my final pregnancy and delivery were the "perfect" one! Good luck!

August 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
littlebeansmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I was told already that I will be induced by week 39. My doctor gave a very in-depth explanation for me, let's see how much of it I remember. He said that the risks of induction at 39 weeks were less than the risks of letting me go to 40 weeks, but he said that inducing any earlier, could pose other complications. He said that the risks drop significantly when you get to 39 weeks. It's like having a spontaneous delivery at 37-38 weeks, the risks are about the same. But if you delivery earlier than 39 weeks with being induced, there are more complications that could happen to baby. He also told me that if my baby exhibited any signs of slowed growth from about 32 weeks on, that they would not hesitate to deliver because the risks of allowing the baby to grow in the womb were more than delivering them and giving them medical help in the NICU.

So instead of having this baby Feb 10th, he or she will be arriving around Feb 3rd. Now I went into labor on my own 2 weeks early with my first, so that's just an estimate if I actually make it that far.

I hope that helps a little. I know it's going to be tough those last couple of weeks to wait.
DS #1:

My precious angel DS#2:

My rainbow DS#3:

My Princess #4:
August 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
littlebeansmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyJenalee View Post
If I had it my way I would love to have constant monitoring the last month but that isn't an option. I will be a kick count queen!
Have you been told what monitoring you will be having in your last trimester? I already have a plan of action in place with my OB where we will be doing an u/s at 32 and 34 weeks at least (I think my OB wants more, but that's what the perinatalogist recommended), as well as I will be seen weekly once I get to about 28-30 weeks. I know that we're also going to be doing non-stress tests weekly during the last month and a half to make sure that everything is ok and for my peace of mind. I, too, will be doing kick counts like a pro before this pregnancy is over.
DS #1:

My precious angel DS#2:

My rainbow DS#3:

My Princess #4:
August 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM
What I have discussed with my OB at my last appt was that starting at 30 weeks I would have a weekly appointment with him as well as 2 NST's a week. Thankfully I will be going twice a week but that doesn't give me the best feeling only bc I had an appt just 2 days before with Alyssa and they said everything was fine when obviously it wasn't...but I never had a NST with Alyssa and my OB said those are very important in my case. I live in Michigan and am going to a great hospital (University of Michigan) and I know they will induce me at atleast 39 weeks....im just hoping it will be okay to induce before Dec 1st with is right after 38 weeks. BUT if the risks are too high for Tessa I would definately put her first. I just know im going to be so stressed and an emotional mess around the 1st....and around the end of this pregnancy too.

Thanks for all of the information you all provided me!
August 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was concerned about whether they would induce me early, and it was one of the many factors that lead to my choosing a repeat section. I'm not sure exactly when they will do the section, but it should be no later then 39 weeks, I think. I am due December 7 but I am hoping they will do my section November 26 (I would be 38 weeks 4 days, I think) since my OB does sections on Thursdays.

August 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
TanyaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to add that I also did weekly appointments starting around 34 or 36 weeks (can't remember) and did NST as well as biophysical profiles every week. I also had hired a doula who let me use her dopplar from about 24 weeks on until delivery.

August 2nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeansmommy View Post
I was told already that I will be induced by week 39. My doctor gave a very in-depth explanation for me, let's see how much of it I remember. He said that the risks of induction at 39 weeks were less than the risks of letting me go to 40 weeks, but he said that inducing any earlier, could pose other complications. He said that the risks drop significantly when you get to 39 weeks. It's like having a spontaneous delivery at 37-38 weeks, the risks are about the same. But if you delivery earlier than 39 weeks with being induced, there are more complications that could happen to baby. He also told me that if my baby exhibited any signs of slowed growth from about 32 weeks on, that they would not hesitate to deliver because the risks of allowing the baby to grow in the womb were more than delivering them and giving them medical help in the NICU.

While I'm all about having my baby out and living in my arms, I would urge you not to deliver *too* early. The NICU is NOT a fun place to be and nothing is guarenteed in there. I've seen and heard of too many children who were born a few weeks early that had major RDS and other issues and spent a long time in the NICU.

But 38 weeks is considered "full term" in most places, but we must remember that really it is just because the doctors give themselves a two week buffer of being off in their measurements of conception time. To fully mature a baby needs 40 weeks. Earlier than 38 (really I'd say 39) and you risk lung development issues, feeding issues, etc.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too think about how my next pregnancy will be. Of course Colm died much earlier in pregnancy, so that may cloud my judgement.

I have done a lot of reading about birth in many ways. Unless there is a specific reason, such as a confirmed problem with the baby, or with mom, it is best for baby to wait until 39 weeks for induction or elective c-section. Babies born before 39 weeks that re iduced or sectioned have a higher rate of NICU stays than babies born after 39 weeks.

I can't say of course exactly how I will feel next time. But I am pretty sure I will wait to go into labor naturally, unless otherwise recommended because of a risk to me or to baby. Inductions in general are not as safe as spontaneous, low intervention births. I want what is best for my baby.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Erin was induced at 38 weeks on the dot. I lost Cora at 38w1d. My doctor wouldn't go any earlier than that, and I wouldn't go any later, so 38w it was. With her I had an NST weekly after 30 weeks and a biophysical profile ultrasound every other week after 34 weeks.

With Patrick I had an NST twice a week and an bpp every week with my weekly OB appointment. (would have started earlier but I didn't have insurance until then). We induced at 39w3d with Patrick. I wanted to go into labor on my own, but after 38w I started having nightmares every night and the stress was making my blood pressure go up a little every appointment.

The only complication either of them had was pretty bad jaundice (both of them) and Erin had to be put on a light for it.

I really want to go into labor on my own next time...

It was really hard for me to be pregnant on Cora's first birthday. But as I was only 33 weeks....anyway, I hope everything goes well for you.

August 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all your great information. I ofcourse will do whats best for my baby but just the emotions I am feeling now...I can't imagine how it will be when im 38 weeks. This timeline of this pregnancy being almost exactly of Alyssa's is what is really hard for me. I was due Dec 1st with her....December 12th with Tessa.
I am going to make sure I discuss my feelings with my OB at my next appointment. Thanks again ladies. You are all so amazing.
August 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am in a similar boat. I am due November 24 and Roald was born November 15. I want to be induced at 39 weeks most likely. I originally felt I would go to 40 weeks and then be induced if I didn;t go on my own by then. But with there being issues with this pregnancy I don't think I can do that. I don't want to have her on Roald's birthday so I don't WANT to be induced before 39 weeks but I will do what my doctors deem fit as long as we feel comfortable with it since Vera isn't growing right.

I know sometimes they will do amniocentesis for women who want to be induced after 37 weeks to make sure baby's lungs are all right. If they aren't, they usually won't induce until 39 weeks then.

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
August 4th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Super Mommy
We already have a plan in place with our Perinatologist and OB. We will begin NST 3 times a week around 33 weeks alond with weekly BPPs. We are also going to be seeing Dr. Collins from the pregnancy institute and I will have a half hour of nightly fetal monitoring. This monitoring is sent real time to our OB and Dr. Collins. If the baby shows any signs of distress, the baby will be taken by c-section. Our perinatologist is completely fine with an amnio at 37 weeks and if her lungs are mature, she will be take by c-section then, as long as nothing happens earlier. I discussed all my concerns with the perinatologist at our pre-conception counseling. Robert was quite big for his age, and so I assume Madelyn will be the same. After my experience delivering Robert, I will not go through induced childbirth again. I am aware of the risks of taking her early, but I feel the perinatologist would not let us do something if it wasn't in her best interest.
August 4th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
You're working with Dr. Collins?? That's so awesome!! I really wish I'd been able to. Doesn't seem too important now, since my babies both were born healthy, but it would have helped relieve a lot of anxiety in my 3rd trimester!

August 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I told my mom about Dr. Collins, and now she wants me to work with him even though I lost Ethan at 18 weeks due to a very clear problem that we have corrected for. I am not planning to be induced early myself, but I have high blood pressure and diabetes, so if either one starts to become dangerous they will consider inducing early.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

August 4th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Super Mommy
As far as I know, Dr. Collins is interested in umbilical cord accidents. His monitoring program watches those who have lost a baby due to uca because he has found they have a decent sized risk of reoccurance. Unfortunately it is something you have to pay out of pocket for (my parents are being generous enough to pay) and you have to pay to fly to New Orleans for a visit with him. It will be our saving grace though and will probably be one of the only things that gives me peace of mind. His information on uca is amazing. I've spoken with him a few times and he is a really nice guy.
August 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Super Mommy
Jessica how did you contact him? I emailed them (from the pi site) asking for info. My first ds (born healthy on his due date) had the cord twice around his neck and my ds2 was still born at 40w2d with the cord tightly around his neck as well as a 2vessel cord (SUA). About how much does the program cost? you can pm me if you don't want to post it. Thanks!!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search