Not sure how to approach this.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I noticed that Jessica (silver11princess) is electing to have a c-section.

I am just curious if you plan on having another baby, and if you do are the doctors aware of this? There is a direct link between c-section and an increase risk of stillbirth in the subsequent pregnancy. They don't know why this happens, but it does.

Have the discussed the risks for future pregnancies with you? There are others beside the increase risk of stillbirth.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I'm not electing to have a c-section, but I did not know that there is an increased risk of stillbirth. That is a useful bit of info Meghan, thanks for sharing it!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

August 4th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Super Mommy
Based on my research, they are not sure if there is an increased risk or not. These studies also do not include information on women who have already had a previous stillbirth. Personally, For someone who has had a stillbirth due to a previous umbilical cord accident, I feel safer knowing that my daughter will not have to descend the birth canal with a cord wrapped around her neck. I worry too much that she would end up hanging herself. I imagine for everyone it is a very individual decision, but based on my research, the information can go either way. I also know that statistics can be read to pretty much point in any direction you want them to. I can't say that having a cesarean section this time lends me to worry any more about my future pregnancies any more then the actual stillbirth of Robert. Just my opinion though...
August 4th, 2009, 07:44 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a medically neccessary c-section with Patrick, he was a footling breech, so it would have been almost impossible to deliver him. I know I was not told of the risk for future pregnancy when I was being prepped for the c-section. I wouldn't have mattered in my case, because I would have had the surgery anyway, but knowing the risk would have been nice, you know? Informed consent and all that jazz.

I wonder now, even though I had 3 other perfectly fine labor and birth experiences, if my previous surgical birth contributed to Colm's loss. I hate wondering that, it hurts me to think that a choice I made might have caused his death.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Last edited by NutMeg76; August 4th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
August 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are definite increased risks involved with c-sections. There were many kids in the NICU that they called "wet babies" who needed some added oxygen support for a day or two because they weren't "squished" (for lack of a better word) going through the birth canal. That's about the least bad thing that can happen though. But C-sections have become a LOT better than years ago. There are much fewer risks in having subsequent children now than there were. Very little risk of uterine rupture if the c-section is done the easy way (there are things that hinder it being done this way and up the chances of uterine rupture).

I would really rather NOT have a c-section again. I have had two. I've never experienced labor at all. But I don't think I'll get a choice now.

The thing I think too few people are told... or at least it isn't explained well... is that c-sections are major surgery. You cannot lift after them, which means no carrying your child in his or her car seat/carrier. You are in pain. You cannot move around as easily. Now, for me, I'd rather have my child safe and be in pain. But if I had the option that my child could be as safe being born naturally, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't mean to burst in here at this thread, but Beth, I was wondering what ARE the things that cause there to be an old-fashioned uterine incision (the kind that increases chances of uterine rupture in subsequent pregnancies)? I'm just wondering because we plan on having 4 or 5 living children and I am just so scrared if any of my first few live births are C-sections that I will have that increased chance.

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
August 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I specifically asked my doctor about the risk of another stillbirth due to c-section, and he told me that there was no conclusive evidence to support that. I am seeing my OBGYN sometime this month and plan to discuss it with him as well, but I have to agree with Jessica that I find the idea of natural labor and the risks for the baby to be high enough for me to opt for the repeat section. Also, the amount of pain and restriction associated with a c-section is largely individual. Some have a great deal of pain and difficulty moving around, others bounce right back. I was one that bounced right back. I had one dose of pain medication after the section, and then ibuprofen thereafter. I was in the hospital for a full week because Connor was in the nursery on antibiotics (they did the section because I was running a fever, and he ran one on and off after he was born), but I carried him out of the hospital in his car seat. It really depends on the person, and my next c-section may not go so smoothly. My point is that stillbirth, like autism for example, is still largely misunderstood and unexplained. There are studies to support every facet of every argument. For every study that supports one theory, there are three that debunk it.
I don't want anyone to suppose that I am arguing about anything here (computers are not great for conveying inflection etc.), I am merely sharing my thoughts on this subject since I have experienced both stillbirth and c-section and therefore given it much thought and research. I just thought I should add that last part because I really didn't want to come off offended (or offensive for that matter..lol).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search