hormone levels

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Proud Momma
This may be a silly question, but I've never had my hormone levels checked with this pregnancy or with Katrina's. I'm always reading on my March DDC and from you girls who are pregnant that during the 1st trimester you knew what your levels were and if they were increasing or whatever. I phoned my Dr's office and asked them about this and she was very confused about my question and then when she finally understood, she said there's no reason to have it done unless there's a suspected problem with the pregnancy.

Why do some people always seem to find out their hormone levels to make sure they're increasing? It would be comforting to know that everything is going well with baby sweet pea here, since my next u/s isn't until Sept. 9/09.
August 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Super Mommy
I believe they typically do it for people who have had a previous miscarriage. I kind of fooled my doctors into checking for the levels. I called my ob and they sent me for the levels to confirm the pregnancy, then I went to my family doctor and she sent me for them to confirm my pregnancy. I just needed the peace of mind so I made sure I got it! Maybe you could ask your regular family doctor and see if they will send you? It doesn't hurt to ask!
August 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I don't know. I never had my hormone levels checked either. Or maybe I have and they just didn't tell me the results. I didn't realize people kept track of their own HCG and progesterone levels until I joined JM.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

August 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Steph, are you talking about HCG levels? I'm suspecting you are but wanted to be sure.

If you are talking about HCG levels, I had mine checked during two months' worth of IUI cycles but that's only because I was going through fertility treatments. Since I was going through those treatments, I believe it's their MO to check something like 11 or 12 days (I can't remember now) after they do the IUI procedure (IVF, ICSI, etc. may be different, so don't take my word as gospel). That's to make sure the egg implanted and the hormones were being produced accordingly.

I had mine done one month where they wanted to see "5"; mine was 2.5. The second month, my number was 137. Two days after that one was done, the RE's office wanted to see it at least double; mine was 343. In other words, yah I was pregnant and no, I wasn't miscarrying. After that, my HCG levels were never checked again.

This pregnancy, they weren't checked at all but I suspect at some point they might level off (or even disappear) so that you won't get an accurate reading the farther along you are in your pregnancy? Or did I read that about HPTs somewhere, like, if you POAS after your 5th month or so, the HPT won't detect HCG anymore because there is no more being produced ... something like that.

Sorry to ramble

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
August 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The very first time I was pregnant they did a quantitative hcg blood test at the family doctor's office. Then I miscarried. When I was pregnant with Roald, they did it again to confirm the pregnancy and then again a week later to make sure levels were rising. This pregnancy the OB office sent me to a lab for a quantitiative hcg to confirm pregnancy and make sure I was as far along as I said I was. I guess it just depends on the area, but I thought it was routinely done for everyone. Maybe in some areas you must have had a prior first trimester loss for them to do a quantitative?? If so, they might not do it for you because you had a second trimester loss and actually in most if not all states legally Katrina's birth would be a stillbirth and not a miscarriage (on paper I'm saying, I KNOW she was a stillbirth!) because you were past 20 weeks gestation. In any event, ask them if you could have it done or go have it performed at a lab, though you may need a referral from a doctor.

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
August 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh-and I meant province not state since you live in Canada. And I agree with Barb-I think passed a certain point in the first trimester the placenta (I think) stops making hcg or only makes a certain amount or makes less of it and it cannot be used to accurately detemrine gestational age anymore (plus there are other physical ways of checking to make sure pregnancy is progressing after the early first trimester). I know it would be really nice for you to know, but I am fat and this pregnancy I began to feel my uterus my pressing in my pubic area at 9 weeks and gradually every week it grew and that kept me pretty calm and assured. Since you are thinner, you should defnitely be able to at least start using that as a tool to assure yourself in the next week or two?

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
August 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Super Mommy
I had my levels checked with Joey because I was having ovarian cramping they did an ultrasound at my first appt to make sure it wasn't a tubal, but I had found out so early because I was charting that they didn't see a thing on the ultrasound so weren't even sure what was going on. I had quantitative hcg done 48hrs apart, then an ultrasound a week later and then two weeks later to date.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

August 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
It's between 10 and 12 weeks when the hcg levels start to plateau. From what I understand they like drawing beta levels starting early because the further along you are the more inaccurate it is.

That being said, I've never had it done (just did a lot of reading) and I agree, the ones who get their levels checked are usually either women who have had a previous miscarriage or undergoing fertility treatments.

Don't you sometimes wish that you had a little window into your belly so that you could just see what was going on in there?

August 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie <3 View Post
Don't you sometimes wish that you had a little window into your belly so that you could just see what was going on in there?
YES!!!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
August 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never had a beta done, or if I did I never got the results. I have been pregnant in three different states too.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 15th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie <3 View Post
I used to say this all the time when I was pregnant with Joey. He moved SO much it always felt like he was doign aerobics in there or something and I wanted to see why he was so busy!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

August 15th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My experience (from JM and other parenting boards) is that beta levels are checked more frequently in the U.S. It isn't something that is done here unless a problem is suspected. I think the reason for this is that in the U.S. (privatized health care) these decisions are more at the doctor's discretion? I could be wrong about that, though. I asked my doctor about it when I was pregnant with Eva, and he said that they don't do them unless a problem is suspected because they are tests that can cause unnecessary worry and stress. That being said, I had several quantitative beta hcg tests with my ectopic because they suspected it was ectopic from the beginning and a couple with this pregnancy due to the heightened risk of another ectopic. I understand the worry. I wanted constanted reassurance that everything was OK. To be honest, I still do.

August 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Proud Momma
Barb: yea, I *think* I'm talking about HCG levels? lol

Laurie: That's what I thought as well - that it's something that's done more in the US (but that could be b/c there's way more Americans on here than Canadians). I asked my sister and she had never heard of it either.

but thanks for your responses, everyone. I forgot I started this one!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search