input needed - baby name (x-posted)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay. So, names. I lean one way, Den leans another, and I really need some input from you ladies.

The name Den really wants to use for a girl is Cailet Amber. It's from a book he read years ago, he just loves the name (I picked out the middle name). I do think it's a lovely name, pretty sounding. BUT!!! All I can picture is a lifetime of people saying to her, "What?? How do you spell/pronounce THAT??" I just picture her hating us for giving her such a weird, made-up name. I mean, it's been on our minds for a while now and when I tell someone outloud they already give that to me. And I just worry that I'd be setting both me and her up for a lifetime of frustration. I suppose she could shorten it to Cailie if she wants, it's more familiar. But on the flip side, it IS unique, and she may absolutely love the fact that she has a unique name.

So please... what's your gut reaction to the name?

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
My gut reaction: it's a pretty name, and I think that even nowadays, ANY name can be questionable when it comes to spelling. Think about this: the name "Kayleigh." I've seen Kayleigh, Kaleigh, Kayley, Caylee, and now your example of Cailie ... simple enough name, many different variations on spelling.

And if she REALLY hates the first name you gave her, she can always have people call her "Amber" (which, by the way, I LOVE).

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
September 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Just wanted to Imput here.... my name is Ashley.. and I STILL have to spell it daily. I think this day in age it doesn't matter, people will ask you to spell it.

But, I love the name.. it's sweet!
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
September 22nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Everyone has oddly spelled names right now, I wouldn't let that dissuade you if you like the name. I think it's very pretty.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

September 22nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Super Mommy
I think it is really pretty. And when it comes to DH's and their girls, they always seem to know what they want! DH picked out Madylyn and I picked out a more unique spelling of it. I don't think you should worry what she will think later on. She will grow into it. I think it is a beautiful name.
September 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Proud Momma
I think it's a pretty name, Nat.

I was going to say the exact thing as most the other girls above said in that nowadays, people will put a spin on so many names, just to be different, that even a simple name like Abigail - I looked up top 100 names and these are all the spelling options that came up for Abigail: 1) Abigaile, 2) Abagael, 3) Abagail, 4) Abbagaele, 5) Abbagail, 6) Abbigail, 7) Abbigayle, 8) Abegael.

People will do anything to change it up from the "norm". So I think Cailet is actually pretty straightforward haha. Yea I'm sure she'll get questions about how to spell it (he!!, I get asked ALL the time how to spell Stephanie), but it'll be NO different than every other kid out there!
September 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I get asked about my name all the time too. It's another one that could be spelled a million ways (I have personally met Brittany, Brittney, Britany, Brytany and Bryttani, and twice someone who spells it like me)

Just to make sure I'm clear, how ARE you pronouncing Cailet? It's pretty when I read it, but I'm not sure I'm reading it how you'd say it.

September 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It'd be pronounced KAY-let.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic View Post
It'd be pronounced KAY-let.
That's what I thought. Okay then. It's pretty!

September 24th, 2009, 05:13 AM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that that particular spelling is best for that pronounciation. I honestly at first thought it was pronounced KAY-LEE but that is only because I know that name is popular and I've never heard kaylet yet. Bill and I personally like correct or original spellings of names...but, like you said, he got it from a book, so if that is the way it was spelled there I think it looks best like that.

I personally think there are some names people have to ask how to pronounce and that is fine. But sometimes I think nowadays the trend to spell one name ten thousand ways is really extreme. People are always going to be spelling the child's name incorrectly and most of the time it is as though a 5-year-old came up with some of the spellings of names I've seen. During this pregnancy I have actually had a few nurses and U/S techs tell us they like the name we've picked and that we wouldn't believe some of the popular names and crazy spellings people use.

But....that's just our opinion. People are free to do what they like as far as naming a child, that's just what I think/like.

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search