how would I know if I'm leaking amniotic fluid?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Proud Momma
I'm actually really scared about this. For the past couple of weeks, I've noticed that my underwear is always "wet". I went to my Dr's last week and got tested for yeast and bacterial vaginosis and they came back negative, because I thought it was discharge. I asked my Dr. if I could possibly be leaking fluid and he just said "you'd definitely know if you were" - but what does that mean? Does that mean I'd feel a gush come out, because I don't feel a gush of fluid, but sometimes I'll just be walking around and all of a sudden I'll feel that it's wet down there and I'll go to the washroom and there'll be a huge wet spot - sorry tmi.

I was reading up on it and there's apparently a quick test they can do to see if I am leaking or not. I'm really nervous about this, but my Dr's convinced that I'm not leaking, so I don't know who to turn to...but he never even checked me or anything, so I'm a bit miffed about this. I have my OB's app't in 2 weeks, so I'll ask him then, but it would be really hard for me to get in for an app't sooner than that because he's so busy.

Do any of you know what it would look like if I were leaking?

Last edited by LaLaLa1; October 5th, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
October 6th, 2009, 01:06 AM
CherryFrog1926's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to CherryFrog1926 Send a message via Yahoo to CherryFrog1926
i'm a lurker ( lost my baby girl at 19 weeks a little over 7 years ago.) i had this with my son. I wrried about it also. The dr checked to show me that it wasnt my water. Then told me that with pregnancy you get alot of extra discharge that can sometimes be very watery and be constant. But if i was worried later on to go in to L&D and they would check to be safe and ease my nerves. You can always go in and tel them what is going on and your situation and i'm sure the nurses would be more the happy to ease your mind and check. xxxhugsxxx sweetie i'll be keeping you in my thoughts
October 6th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to jump in but came across this from the JM main board and wanted to tell you that on month 6 of my pregnancy i was leaking fluids and i was scared it was amniotic fluid also. My GYN sent me ASAP to a hospital were they took a sample with a special collector. If it turns blue it's amniotic fluid if not your clear. I was clear. The test to see if you are leaking amniotic fluid is free (in Greece) and happens in less than 10 minutes counting the time you take ur underware off.......go to a hospital and have it done.....

I wish you the best

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

October 6th, 2009, 04:54 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I'd call the doctor and tell him that I'm still leaking. He ought to do the test just to see for sure what it is. But yeah, it's probably watery CM. But then late in pregnancy my friend was leaking fluid and it didn't really occur to her - it was a slow leak. Just get it checked, to be safe!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
October 6th, 2009, 05:42 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HOnestly, I am pretty sure it is just CM. Your cervix is constantly regenrating the mucos plug and sometimes will feel watery. It is very normal.

But, like the PPs said, if you are worried go have them do the test, it is painless and will make you feel better if you know for sure.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
October 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Popping in... I leaked all of my fluid over the course of 2 days during my last pregnancy and didn't realize I was doing it. Now, it DID come in little gushes, even though it was a slow leak. I wouldn't leak for a bit, and then I'd sneeze, or I'd stand up after sitting for a while, and would just get a little "whoosh" of discharge that actually soaked my undies the first time it happened. As for what it looked like, it was... well, it wasn't as watery as I would have expected it. It was sort of a watered down Jello consistency, not runny but not totally solid either, and just a little cloudy (though that may have been related to his infection and meconium).

So yeah, no, it isn't true that you would guaranteed know it was happening. Definitely ask to get it checked since it has kept up, if nothing else to put your mind at ease.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
October 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Super Mommy
With me, CM is always plentiful during pregnancy for the same reasons your nose gets stuff etc during pregnancy. All your mucuous membranes are swollen and over-active. But if you are concerned MAKE them check. They really can't say no to you.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

October 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that is is probabaly not your fluid. But understandable you'd think maybe it was. I have read and heard alot that when losing fluid it does usually at least start with a rather large gush and then it is more like a leak or numerous gushes and is much more noticable when lying down, assuming baby is head down, because when you stand up the baby's head works as a cork. But this early in a pregnancy I don't know if that's still the same. You should try smelling it, they say amniotic fluid has a sort of sweetish scent to it?

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
October 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I get gushes of watery cm like that ALL through pregnancy...each time, so I guess it's what's normal for me. With both Cora and Erin I thought I was leaking fluid. I never was. But I agree with that you should at least call your doctor. It never hurts to make sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search