I might be in labor? help

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2009, 10:47 AM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At 4 AM I started having contractions every 5 minutes or so that felt like mild period cramps. I woke Bill up at 5 and we had sex. Afterward I told him I thought I was contracting and he told me that down there I felt "wider, sloppier" than I normally do. I fell asleep around 5:30 and woke up at 10:30. Still contracting. Seemed about 40 seconds long 4 minutes apart. Called the OB and they told me to wait til they are 60 seconds long to call back. I'm 36 weeks 2 days. I am having a hard time believing I am in actual labor. Besides walking are there any ways to speed it up? I tried to feel for myself if I am dilated and it sort of felt different down there and seemed like I could pretty easily get 2 of my fingers in?

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
October 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
noworries
Ack. I don't have any advice. Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and praying that if this is the real thing, everything will go wonderfully.
October 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Proud Momma
could they be Braxton Hicks? I dunno...my labour with Katrina was a blur because I was in a very bad state of mind...so sorry I'm not the best to help you with this.

I guess I'd say just pay close attention to them though...if they seem to get stronger, closer together then definitely call your Dr. again or just head to the hospital?
October 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
This is what I learned in the hospital last year when we took a childbirthing class --- when they are one minute long and are 5 minutes apart (like they always say on TV and in the movies), head to the hospital.

This is what I learned from watching the Golden Girls (paraphrased) --- Blanche's daughter Rebecca woke Dorothy up in the middle of the night and asked "I think I'm in labor ..." Dorothy replied "How is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?" Rebecca responded with "Put it this way ... if I had military secrets, I'd talk!"

Dorothy said "SHOW TIME!"

((LOL ... sorry, I had to put some humor in here cuz Bonnie, I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that if this is the real deal, EVERYTHING is going to go just fine!!! PLEASE keep us posted!))

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
October 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
With Patrick I had several periods like this. Strongish contractions that lasted for 12 hours or so and then would peter out.

I've never actually gone into labor on my own though, so I don't know how to tell if it's labor when you don't KNOW you're in labor!

October 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
littlebeansmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
When I went into labor on my own at 38 weeks with my first, I woke up to some bloody show. This was accompanied by some period like cramping, about every 40 minutes or so. This lasted all day, with the time between cramps getting closer and closer together. Finally it was 8pm and they were 6-7 minutes apart (I don't know how long they were, we never worried about that part) and I STILL didn't think I was in labor. I took the humor advice Barb gave and went to the hospital when I thought they were getting too painful, still 5-6 minutes apart. I doubted I was in labor the whole time. Here, we got to the hospital and I was already dilated to 4cm and they were admitting me. DS arrived about 4.5 hours later.

I did a lot of walking that day. We went to walmart and the grocery store and up and down the street. Other than that, I didn't do too much. One rule of thumb I remember hearing is when you can't talk through them, it may be time to head to the hospital.

Good luck.
DS #1:

My precious angel DS#2:

My rainbow DS#3:

My Princess #4:
October 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had started labor on my own both times. I agree with other ladies that when you feel it's hard to talk thru the contractions and you feel like you need to take a breath, head to the hospital. Both times I went to the hospital when my contractions were 5 min apart and lasted longer then one hour. Both times I was about 3-4cm dialated when I got to the hospital.
Good luck! KUP!

October 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
omg how exciting

i hope now i ve replied to this baby is well on her way?

i will deffo be thinking of you hun and if its labour some elv's

cant wait to meet our cyber neice

October 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Super Mommy
claire i'm cracking up - cyber neice! awesome!

Bonnie! ELV's mama! Can't wait to hear an update!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

October 28th, 2009, 05:26 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If this is it, I hope it goes really well for you!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
October 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I have my fingers crossed for you guys!!! I agree, if you can't talk through them it's labor.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Ugh. When they became 60 seconds long 5 minutes apart yesterday they told me to come in for an office check. I had been contracting for 12 hours. Vera was moving like crazy with every contraction (it was hard for the nurse to even get a heartbeat count) and I have had bad rectal pressure and backache. But of course...as of 4 PM yesterday I wasn't dilated. So I guess these are (assuming they still are) Braxton Hicks. The back pain and rectal pressure are the things that are most uncomfortable. The contractions just feel like moderate menstrual cramps. I just want real labor to start now. Ugh!!!!

If I'm not dilated I don't know why Bill thought it felt different down there during intercourse. Is that normal for pregnancy? I was in a different than usual position and we had been together the day before yesterday in a diffferent position but he said then it felt normal. He just said it felt like it was alot easier entrance and not really much squeeze?? Is that normal for late pregnancy even if you're not dilated?

Anyway...now I am just uncomfortable all the time. Not the usual pregnancy uncomfrtoable but feeling like every few minutes I have period cramps, a build up of gas and I just have like a constant backache. Come on! Time to come out! You got us all excited!

October 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
d'OH! Bonnie, I've been monitoring JM all day for an update from you --- tell Miss Vera to stop fooling with her JM Aunties like that (LOL!!).

I can't answer your questions about how the nether-regions should / might feel this late in pregnancy, but I might guess that things might be 'stretching' a bit in preparation for childbirth ..? I dunno.

In any event, you will now be monitored verrrrry, verrrrry closely by us, you know that right??

So exciting!!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
October 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Well, before dilating the cervix and pelvic floor soften and efface. Did they tell you whether you were doing either of those (you usually efface first, and then dilate)?

Good luck honey!

October 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Brittanie-no they didn't tell me that. Today we had our weekly NST and ultrasound and she was measuring 2 and 3 weeks behind in growth again. At 32 weeks she had caught up but now everything-head, legs, stomache, etc. is all measuring 33 weeks or 34 weeks. So they told me to do a 2 hour kick count when I know she is awake and if I get a poor count to call right away and they are adding another NST every week. I think next week since I am going to be 37 weeks I am going to tell them I want to talk about induction because now I feel worried again and I just want her out.

October 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Super Mommy
I think that once you are 37wks there is no reason not to talk about induction with all you have been through. You want her here, and you want her born while you know she is healthy and can handle labor. You should be enjoying your pregnancy and enjoy meeting your baby not be a nervous wreck. I definitely agree you should talk about induction next week!! Think of you often!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search