a question about GD

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Proud Momma
So I did my 1 hour test yesterday for GD and I have this really bad feeling that I'll probably fail and will have to take the 3 hour one only to confirm that I do have it. I was only a few lbs overweight going into this pregnancy (because I never lost all the weight after losing Katrina) but I've gained way too much weight this pregnancy so far - which I know isn't necessarily an indicator that someone has GD, but my OB did say it could explain why I'm gaining weight so fast. On the other hand, everyone has said they really don't understand where this "supposed" weight is going. Even my OB looked at me and was confused. He said it's most likely because I'm so tall that I have more places to store any excess weight. But in saying that, since my previous app't 4 weeks ago, I gained yet another 7lbs. I was so upset because I seriously fixed my diet (not that I really needed to in the first place), but I still ate properly and I went on walks during my lunch break at work so I could at least get some exercise. I was so confused how I could of still gained those 7lbs.

I know a few of you girls have had GD and I guess I just want to be prepared in case I do end up having it. Would I technically be considered "high risk" if I have GD and is it something that can be easily managed if I follow a strict diet? Or does this mean there will always be more complications that will make me worry even more? Speaking of diet, what are the main foods I would have to cut out - other than the obvious - sugar. I know I would have to cut out carbs, but does this mean altogether or just cut back on the carbs?

Thanks for any help
December 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
GD does not necessarily make you high risk, and goof blood sugar control really prevents complications from ever happening. You definitely don't cut out carbs, it's about eating the right carbs in the right amounts at the right times. Here are some basic diet guidelines and plans:

Gestational Diabetes Diet

What type of diet should I follow if I have gestational diabetes? | BabyCenter

Diabetic Diet Sample Plan, Meal, Menus and Recipes

Sample Diet for Gestational Diabetes - LoveToKnow Diet

Honestly, GD isn't much to worry about if you are good about following the diet. Testing for it early like they do they pretty much keep you from getting any of the complications - assuming you follow your doctor's instructions. I'm a regular diabetic and follow the diet 24/7/365 (it's the same as the GD diet) and it's really not that hard.

As fr the weight gain, I gained to much too quickly last pregnancy when my diabetes was undiagnosed, this pregnancy my weight gain is much better. Like your doctor said it's not really a GD symptom, but if you have GD it's probably related.

Feel free to PM me or grab me on FB with any questions, I am a total diabetes pro now. And if you stop on over to the High Risk board there are other ladies with GD too - they're not high risk but JM closed the GD board so they all hang out on my board now.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Proud Momma
Thanks Rebecca. At least now I'm prepared *if* I do have GD. I guess I'll phone my Dr's office on Monday to see if the results are in.
December 19th, 2009, 10:12 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Steph, everything Rebecca said

I had GD with both pregnancies, and while it feels like a PITA to control your blood glucose levels, it's really not hard at all when you get into the swing of things. Finger sticks, monitoring carb intake ... it all becomes second nature.

And for me, it was also no big deal to inject insulin 5 times a day. Even when we were eating out at restaurants, I'd sit right at the table and inject.

PM me if you need more info, insight, or just want to vent about GD. I'm happy to help when / where I can

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search