asking the Dr. to be induced a bit earlier

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Proud Momma
I know a lot of us having gone through previous stillbirth would like to be induced a bit earlier with our rainbow babies - just to ensure their safe and healthy arrival. I've been talking to Jon about bringing this up to my Dr. and he doesn't agree with this. For one, he thinks I'll look like a nutcase for even bringing this up (he doesn't fully understand the worry I go through on a constant day to day basis), two, where I live they apparently won't induce until at least 10 days overdue, and, three, he doesn't think 38 weeks is far along enough for her to be born....I guess his rationalization is that if she doesn't make her own grand entrance by 38 weeks, then this means she isn't completely ready to come out yet. I keep telling him that 38 weeks is technically considered full term (I am right, yes?) and her lungs and everything should be completely developed by then.

I honestly think I'll have a breakdown if I have to go a day over my due date. I'm already going to be (and already am) freaking out as we approach the due date, but it really, really scares me thinking that I may actually have to go over and worry even more.

I keep telling Sweet Pea that it would be super duper nice if she makes her safe and healthy arrival into this world about a week or two on her own before her actual due date. Now I just hope she listens to mommy
December 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to agree with your husband on his theory. Babies that are induced before 39 weeks tend to have an increase in NICU stays and require supplemental oxygen.

On the other hand I can see how you feel as far as not wanting to go too far past the EDD. Maybe talk to the doctor and your hubby about inducing at 39 weeks? That way it will be before your EDD , but after when the lungs are really fully mature. Sort of a compromise?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah there is really no right answer here. I mean, inducing babies before they're ready does tend to increase the chance of lung maturity problems - here they typically do an amnio to test for lung maturity before induction. But yes, 38 weeks is considered full term.

For me, I think after 38 weeks the chance of the baby having problems is pretty slim.... but the chance of ME having problems is very HIGH. I haven't decided to be induced early, but I haven't ruled it out early... I just want to see how I feel when I get there. If I'm having a huge amount of stress and anxiety, then it might just be better to induce. But then again, induction will probably lead to a harder labor than it would have been spontaneously so I'd like to avoid it as much as I can.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
December 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
38 weeks is considered full term because we expect that sometimes we are a few weeks off our dates. Technically it takes 40 weeks for a baby to be fully developed.

I knew a few babies in the NICU when we were there were full term babies (38 weeks) who had lung issues. It's just a scarey thing to induce before the baby is showing signs of needing out. It increases the likihood of a c-section and complications after birth.

But all that said, I understand the desire. I don't expect to make it to my due date at all.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
December 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
littlebeansmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't have to ask, my OB just plain said he wouldn't let me go past 39 weeks and it's 39 weeks for the exact reasons stated above.

IF we knew the reason our DS died at 28 weeks, I think I'd be more willing to wait and let nature take it's course. My first was born naturally at 38 weeks and the labor was nothing compared to my induction with my stillbirth. I would definitely opt to wait if I knew what caused KT's death and had the assurance that testing this time around showed the baby was healthy. Unfortunately, we didn't get a reason, and so I'm on board with the OB that if this baby does not make his appearance by 39 weeks, we'll induce.

It's definitely hard to balance emotions with what is in the best interest of our rainbow babies.
DS #1:

My precious angel DS#2:

My rainbow DS#3:

My Princess #4:
December 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeansmommy View Post
I didn't have to ask, my OB just plain said he wouldn't let me go past 39 weeks and it's 39 weeks for the exact reasons stated above
This is kinda what happened to me, except it was my perinatologist that didn't want me to go beyond 38 weeks and my doctor agreed with him. Furthermore, the hospital I delivered at has some sort of policy (not sure exactly what the policy is, but OB said "they have this 'policy' about delivering earlier UNLESS the perinatologist recommends a baby be delivered earlier ...") which would've prevented an earlier-than-39-week delivery of Sydney; luckily, my perinatologist AND OB were both onboard with a 38 week delivery because oddly enough, gestational diabetes was on my side and Sydney was a 'big baby'.

My perinatologist did caution me, however, that at Sydney's 37.5 week delivery, he didn't know if her lungs would be mature and that she may have had to spend time in NICU (I immediately had horrible flashbacks for Julia's time in NICU; not fun at all) but not to worry because she was far enough along to not have to spend a lot of time in NICU. As it turned out, Sydney was just perfect and didn't need NICU time.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
December 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We induced Cammie at 36 weeks for many reasons but my anxiety was definitely one of them. We did do an amnio prior to her delivery and it showed lung maturity. She had no complications at birth and did not require any time in the NICU.

She did develop jaundice and was hospitalized at 6 days old which is more common in premature babies but not uncommon in full term babies either so who knows if her prematurity contributed to it or not.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

December 20th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Proud Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaF View Post
We did do an amnio prior to her delivery and it showed lung maturity.
That worries me too. I'd be scared of any risks that may be involved with doing an amnio. Ugh, what if they push the needle in too deep? At what point would they not have to do an amnio? Would 38 weeks need one if they decided to induce then?
December 21st, 2009, 07:18 AM
TanyaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I'm on the other end of the spectrum on this decision. I thought that I wanted to be induced as I approached the 37 week loss point of my son with my now 2 yr old daughter. But, as I got closer and got past the point of loss, I started to feel more confident that I was bringing that baby home. I was fine with going to my due date but asked how far over I would go before they could consider an induction for me as I did not want to go 10 days over due. The staff stood firm at the clinic that I was going to with the 10 days. I started to get a little upset and scared again but luckily, only 3 days over I started labor on my own! I should add that the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy included Dr. appointments, bio physical profile appointments and NST's. I truly felt that I was being monitored as closely as I possibly could be monitored and that should any other outcome happen (another stillbirth) that there really was nothing that could be done. There is nothing saying that inducing early, or having a section was going to "save" a baby. I've always wondered, if my son had been born alive, would he have survived anyway? Is there anything saying that he wouldn't have died in a few hours, days, even months? We will never know. So, to keep on track here, I started labor on my own at only 3 days over and had no intervention aside from one half does of morphine for the pain and my water being broken. I had hired a doula who was with me the whole time along with my husband. I had many moments during my long labor that I thought I couldn't do it any more and became scared again but when it finally came to pushing time, my mindset changed and I knew we could do it! I would truly never have had it any other way!!! I was so proud to have a vaginal delivery with no induction after my first being a c-section and my stillbirth being a VBAC with induction. I just wanted to know that my body could do it the "right" way and give us a perfectly healthy little baby. Each person has their own way of coping with this time. You will choose the right decision for you based on the options that the medical staff are giving you. Just remember to be your own advocate or to have someone you trust state what you want. They must still listen to you.

December 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Angel Katrina View Post
That worries me too. I'd be scared of any risks that may be involved with doing an amnio. Ugh, what if they push the needle in too deep? At what point would they not have to do an amnio? Would 38 weeks need one if they decided to induce then?

ACOG guidelines state that before 39 weeks a test for lung maturity should be performed. I believe that there are other ways besides amnio to check this, such as watching the practice breathing during US, etc. As far as reliability of the amnio I read that it isn't 100% accurate, so I am not sure if I would want the risk of the test if it wasn't going to show for sure if the baby was ready.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really don't know if there's much risk to doing an amnio when you're close to term - they are performed with an ultrasound to see where it's going. I know with early amnios, in your second trimester, most of the risk is in that it could cause labor to start (cause a miscarriage), which isn't a factor close to term. I would certainly talk to the doctor about risk factors before making a decision.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
December 22nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
I know for a fact that I will not be going overdue with my next baby. My DD was 6 days overdue and Kaelen was 4 days overdue when we found out he had passed away and there is no way I could do it again. I will specifically be asking the doctor at my first appointment about when he/she will be willing to induce me if I haven't had the baby naturally by that time and if the answer isn't 38 or 39 weeks, I'll be finding another doctor who will... I just can't do it again... I can't wait for 40 weeks to come around and see it go and sit there waiting... It was hard enough when I had no clue that something bad was going to happen but now I would not be able to handle it at all.

December 22nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Super Mommy
I actually had an amnio done with Mady at 37w 4d. I am not afraid of needles, so I wasn't that worried about it. All they did was an ultrasound to see where Mady was. Then they cleaned my belly, put the ultrasound wand back on, and pushed their finger into my belly to show where to put the needle. Then they put the needle in (no worse then an IV) and I watched them draw out the fluid. The biggest risk to a late-term amnio is that it will break the bag of water or send you into labor. Which is what you are hoping for anyway! It was over in maybe 5 minutes and then I was monitored for about 30 minutes afterward. 4 hours later, we got the call that her lungs were mature! She was delivered that same day and we had no problems with breathing or anything. She did have jaundice, but not too severe and it actually had no correlation to being early. It is because we had RH incompatibility. Overall, we had a great experience and I would do it again this way in a heartbeat! Other thing I wanted to mention is I talked to our perintaologist because I thought practice breathing would indicate mature lungs. It actually has no correlation with the state of the lungs. It just means they are practicing. It is not an indicator of lung maturity. The amnio is the only way before 39 weeks that they can be assured of lung maturity and unfortunately, it still does not mean your baby won't have any problems. Some docs don't require an amnio after 38 weeks, but it is different for every doctor.
December 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I am going to asked to be induced at 39 weeks, if the baby seems ready. If my OB wants to wait, I am going to ask to be induced the very first day after 40 weeks. So far my OB has been awesome about doing things a little differently because of the trauma of losing Ethan and all the complications I had earlier in the pregnancy. She let me come to L&D to get checked out for minor spotting even though they normally only do that if the bleeding is heavier or there is cramping with it. And they did my anatomy scan at 17 weeks (and even had to split it over two visits, one at 17 weeks and another one in 2 weeks) because I lost Ethan at 18 weeks and was losing my mind. I'd like to go into labor on my own, and if my mother's labors are any indication I'll deliver around the 38 week mark, but I'm too neurotic this pregnancy to go more than one day over my EDD!

As for amnios, I had one this pregnancy (that's how they did the reduction) and while it hurt a lot during, it was over quickly and it didn't hurt my little man at all. They are very routine so you don't have to worry about them poking the baby. I didn't even have any cramping afterwards.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did have some post-amnio complications in that they irritated an abdominal muscle during the procedure and I had some pretty severe pain and started contracting. I was actually hoping the amnio would put me into labor!

I got the call the next morning that her lungs were mature and we induced that day

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

January 1st, 2010, 10:32 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Erin was induced at 38 weeks on the dot. I lost Cora 38w1d and I was NOT going there. She DID have pretty bad jaundice, but so did I and several of my siblings (and I was 4 days overdue), and so did Patrick. He was induced at 39w3d (I had been having nightmares every night past my loss point and my blood pressure was going up with every appointment 2x a week).

Aside from the jaundice, neither one had any problems. I don't know what uninduced labor is like, so I can't weigh in on how much harder it was, etc.

Good luck honey

January 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Super Mommy
on the labor issue, i had one spontaneous labor and water birth and was induced with Joey.

My first labor was 24hrs start to finish. 7hrs from 5cm to birth. About 3-5hrs of really hard labor.

My induced labor was 18hrs from when they started the pitocin but I didn't really feel any contractions until they broke my water at 5cm. It was 3hr45mins from 5cm to birth and probably could have been less if I had given in to pushing sooner.

I really had no difference in intensity I will have no problem being induced again.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

January 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
I won't be induced because of my previous c-section, it is too risky in my opinion. But, even if I had not had a c-section I would agree to be induced only if the baby was at risk. Induction, although it is normally just fine, carries increased risk. Many times 'emergency' c-sections for heart decels are not actually a result of labor, but are really because the over stimulation of the uterus is causing harm to the baby.

For me, the risks of induction are not enough for my peace of mind.

Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search