nervous - regarding u/s

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Proud Momma
I had an u/s on Dec. 30/09 more to calm my nerves than anything because she it didn't seem as if she was kicking all that much. My Dr's office receptionist told me they would call me if anything was wrong on the u/s.

Well I never heard from them and it took all my strength not to phone them last week to see how the results were, lol. Well I had an app't this morning and I asked how everything is looking and Dr. says "everything looks good, but the head is a little bit on the smaller side." He says it's still within normal sizing, but I guess compared to the rest of her body it's a bit smaller? Of course I wasn't thinking straight and didn't think to ask what the measurement was and what it should be at.

He wants me to go back for an u/s at 36 weeks (so about 5 1/2 weeks from now) to see if there's any change at that time. He also said it could have been the position she was in that may have made it a bit more difficult to get a proper reading of her head size and he tried to reassure me that it's nothing bad, but I'm really nervous about going back for the next u/s. What if her head hasn't grown by the time I go in at 36 weeks? But to me he seemed more worried than he was leading on to me - I hope I'm just reading into that too much though....

This feels like complete deja vu for me With Katrina, it was also regarding her head (more so her brain). But in Katrina's case, her head would have gotten extremely large (because she had Hydrocephalus alongside the severe Ventriculomegaly). Why do my babies always have something with their head? I'm so confused and worried. He doesn't seem to have an explanation for it.

Please keep baby Sweet Pea in your thoughts that everything is fine with her and please keep me in your thoughts that I have enough strength not to worry too much - I don't want to put any more stress on my baby girl, I'm already stressed in general. If she has a slightly smaller head, then so be it - as long as it's nothing that could cause major problems on her health.

On a side note, my Dr. was mentioning that with any of his patients who have had a previous stillbirth, he usually considers induction at around 38 or 39 weeks. He said he definitely won't make me go over my due date! So we should get to bring her home with us even sooner!

Last edited by LaLaLa1; January 12th, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
January 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Beginning at 28 weeks, I began having BPPs twice a week at the perinatologists office. From that point forward, Sydney was measuring 3 weeks BIGGER than my true gestation period, and one of the two perinatololgists in the practice kept commenting on her "big belly". So of course, I started joking around that "Pippi" was going to be the first female lineman for the NE Patriots ... on the outside. On the inside, I was completely worried that I was going to give birth to a monster of a baby with blood glucose issues.

On the morning of the day she was delivered, the perinatologist measured her at 9lbs. 8 ozs. via the ultrasound. But that was also the one and only time he also mentioned that there is a 15% margin and that she might be bigger, she might be smaller. Sydney ended up weighing in at 8 lbs. 1 oz. at birth. And her belly was completely normal sized.

While the ultrasounds and BPPs are a good way of measuring baby's size, amniotic fluid, nervous reactions, and breathing, they are not 100% foolproof. Don't panic about Sweet Pea's head size. After all, the doc did reassure you that it was still within normal range

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
January 12th, 2010, 01:31 PM
noworries
Ditto what Barb said. Ultrasound can be really unreliable when it comes to measuring things. I'm so sorry that you have to worry about this now and I'm praying that your next ultrasound shows that everything is fine.
January 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Super Mommy
ditto ditto. A week before he died they measured Joey to be 6 and a half lbs. And he should have GAINED weight during that last week. Well he was born at only 5lb3oz! They were a pound and a half off!!!! It was because he was so long, he was 21" but he was super skinny because he wasn't getting as many nutrients with his 2 vessel cord and omphalocele.

I know "try not to worry" is easier said than done...but ultrasounds are not REALLY that reliable when measuring size etc. BTW...enjoy your ultrasound. It is so funny later in the pregnancy because you can only see little parts of baby at a time. And hey, at 36wks you'll only be a short while away from meeting sweet pea! Thats also late enough that if they decide they want her out right then, she will be almost full term!! Steph how did you get to be so far along?!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

January 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Proud Momma
Thanks for the reassurances, girls I actually feel much better now as the day went on. It just scared me because it felt like such deja vu to me involving her head too somehow. I actually phoned back to my OB's office and wanted to clarify something about it and the receptionist said that the u/s tech just made a small note about it and that it's just slightly smaller (I guess they mean in comparison to her body).

Let's just hope she takes after her mommy - since I'm so tall, I always get made fun of for having a small head for my body by my friends (I'd like to disagree though lol). So I'm hoping she just takes after me haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_n_JsMommy View Post
Steph how did you get to be so far along?!
I know, eh!!!!

Last edited by LaLaLa1; January 12th, 2010 at 11:15 PM.
January 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto what everyone else said.

I am glad you are feeling better about it. I think if you have a small head, it would make sense for your baby to have one too

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search