Now I'm confused on what to do

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Proud Momma
So we had our prenatal class tonight and the topic tonight was "interventions" when it comes to pregnancy.

You may recall that after my OB app't 2 weeks ago, he casually mentioned to me that he will usually throw it out there for his patients who have previously had a stillbirth that we could possibly induce early (but still full term - usually around 39 weeks). He kind of puts it in our hands to make the decision based on how we're feeling. Of course at the time I was all excited because I thought "ooooh Sweet Pea will be here sooner rather than later!"

Well after tonight's class talking about inductions, I'm now scared to do one! It just seems as if there are so many possible risks involved - such as fetal distress, fetal asphyxiation, possible resulting in c-section. Ugh.

Jon and I stayed after class so I could ask the teacher about it (she's a Doula, so obviously she's anti-inducing early unless for obvious medical reasons. She doesn't even believe in inducing at 10 days over the due date and thinks people should just wait until the baby is ready however long that may be!). However, she perfectly understands where I'm coming from in wanting to induce early to have that "peace of mind" and wouldn't judge us if we do decide to go ahead with an early induction.

I'm just so confused now. I'm worried that if we induce early that what if something goes wrong, but on the flip side, I'm worried that if we just wait it out, what if something awful goes wrong that way. Ugh, I would never be able to forgive myself either way if something were to go wrong, knowing that I had the option of doing the other one - if you kwim.

I guess I'll just have to wait until we're closer to the due date and see how I'm feeling.

I know I've asked about this before, but any input from you girls would be great.

Last edited by LaLaLa1; January 25th, 2010 at 11:52 PM.
January 26th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Super Mommy
Steph look up info and talk to your teacher about natural induction methods as well as things that can help ripen your cervix like Evening Primrose Oil to make induction go smoother. Don't forget that even if you induce, this is YOUR birth and no matter what YOU can still call the shots on what they do and don't do. There are definitely gentle methods to induction. When I was induced with Joey I was 3cm already so we just started pit. I had a WONDERFUL labor and birth experience, unmedicated, despite the fact that he was born sleeping. Really...it IS possible to have good hospital inductions despite what many natural birthing advocates will tell you.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

January 26th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I've been induced all 3 times, and I've never had a csection. My worst was actually with Cora. The guy who did my epi was terrible and it took 3 tries to get it in and bruised my back SO badly. Plus we had to use a vacuum to get her out and I had a 2nd degree tear.

With the other two, it went fairly smoothly. Patrick was posterior so labor took a bit longer than expected and he had a little bit of a hard time with the way his head was being squeezed, but that would have happened induction or not.

I do think that you should just see how you're doing. I really wanted to go into labor on my own with Patrick, but I was having nightmares and my blood pressure was rising and I was having headaches. The last two we believed were because of stress, so we decided it would be easier on us both if we just induced.

Anyway, like Kathryn said, it's still YOUR birth and they can't do anything you don't want them to do. Whenever my doctors suggested something, I started asking questions. Why did they think it was necessary? What were the benefits and the drawbacks? What exactly would it DO to me, physically? Most of the time the procedure can wait until you've gotten the answers.

good luck!

Last edited by Brittanie; January 26th, 2010 at 08:10 AM.
January 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been induced once and had pitocin to supplement labor once as well. For me with Cammie, I had to be induced. I couldn't take much more of the emotions and anxiety that I had at the end. That coupled with the medication made induction make sense.

I was induced at 36 weeks and at the time my cervix was long, hard and completely closed. I had cervadil placed and then 12 hours later they started the pit. Cammie was born 4 1/2 hours after the pitocin was started. Her labor was my shortest.

For me, I have not noticed a difference between natural labor contractions and pitocin contractions. Both were the same for me.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

January 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaF View Post
I was induced at 36 weeks and at the time my cervix was long, hard and completely closed. I had cervadil placed and then 12 hours later they started the pit. Cammie was born 4 1/2 hours after the pitocin was started. Her labor was my shortest.
With Erin my cervix was hard and closed too, but starting to efface. They used a foley catheter to start dilating me. It's basically a water balloon that fill up to 2cm or so and starts you dilating. They put it in a 9pm and gave me some ambien to make me sleep. At 4am I was 4cm dilated and they started the pit. Erin was born at 8:48am.

January 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am normally for waiting until labor starts on its own. One reason being is that there is a hormone interaction ebtween you and the baby, where the baby releases a hormone when they are fully cooked that triggers your body to start labor. It makes labor more 'natural'.

With that said. Your doctor is already doing one thing I find important and waiting until 39 weeks. At that point a lot of the risks of late prematurity are elminated. Even if you do end up needing a c-section as a result of a failed induction the baby will have a great chance of not needing a nICU stay.

Two things that are better to aovid because they pose a risk of hypertonic uterine contractions are cytotec (VERY VERY bad) and cervadil (not as bad as cytotec). These super contractions can cause fetal ditress and even death. So aoviding cytotec especially is advised for all pregnant women, but some doctors still use it, why? I don't know. A low pitocin drip if you have a favorable cervix is usually okay.

If you are under tremendous amounts of stress at the end it can cause your body to NOT want to go into labor, so an induction may be best for you.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 26th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know I will be worried about that when my time comes. But to ease your mind, when you go in labor on your own, you still have similar risks. For example, when I was giving birth to my daughter almost 8 years ago, my labor started on its own. It was progressing fine until a point where I was about 7-8cm dialiated, her heartbeat started to go down for no reason. The doctor got so worried, I remember he started getting a team together to do an emergency C-sec. Then after a few minutes, her heartrate stabilized, and I had her naturally. After she was born he still was puzzled as to why her heartrate went down.

January 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sitting in the same boat. I'm generally against inductions and had I not lost a baby I wouldn't even consider it. But after Devin died I was induced (with cytotec, actually - the reason they use it is that it's extremely cheap). And my labor was a very easy, good labor. So I'm not in a total panic about induction, I did it once and was fine (without an epidural). But then I wonder how much of that easy labor was due to my body being ready to have the baby because he had passed away? Would it be the same if the baby was healthy and just not ready yet? I have no idea.

My plan is to make it as long as I can. I really would PREFER to go into labor on my own. I want my chance at a totally unmedicated birth. But I also allow that if my anxiety gets to be too much, then I'm open to induction after 38 or 39 weeks. I'm just going to keep my options open and take it one day at a time.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 26th, 2010, 03:51 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I should add I was induced with cytotec for Colm because before 30 weeks it is not as dangerous, plus he was already dead so I wasn't worried about the risk to him of course.

I think that there is more of a chance of fetal distress from the epidural than a gentle induction. Plus, you can have them start the induction with pitocin only, if you have a good Bishop's score, then if you don't make progress you can stop, go home and try again. As long as they don't rupture your membranes you can stop an indcution at any time. For some women this works. THey start pit, don't get any dilation then go home only to go into full blown labor shortly after.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 26th, 2010, 04:19 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been induced now 5 times, never went into labor on my own (I had pre-eclampsia with my first 3 pregnancies, so that was the main reason for induction)..Really it's up to you, but i'll just share a little of my experiances with you....My first induction was really hard, my body wasn't ready, it was long in and out of the hospital for 10 days and they ended up using a cathider in my cervix to get labor started, she was born 2 days later....My 2nd was pretty much the same, it took about 2-3 days of inducing...My 3rd time they actually did use cytotec and I know that it's dangerous in high doses (That's what my doctor told me), and they only used half a pill in me...It actually put me into labor, I got to labor on my own for a long time, walk around and my water broke on it's own too....It was by far my easiest labor, but i'm not saying that nothing can go wrong, that was just my experiance...My 4th was actually a hard induction, just long and painful, bad epidural etc...I'd like to mention that none of my babies ever had problems during my inductions...I was also induced with Cytotec with Ella too...THey started me on that monday the 12th all day the 13th and it didn't do anything except give me cramps and soften my cervix a little (and I think I dilated to around 1), I didn't actually go into labor till they started the pitocin...So that's a little what my labors were like, and I will probably asked to be induced again because i'd rather go threw a little more pain than the "what if something happens"...I know that inductions can go wrong, but I think if you have a doctor that knows what they are doing, I think it's safe...If your water isn't broken they can always stop the pit or whatever if the induction isn't working...If the baby is nice and happy, no problems I think most doctors will do that before jumping to a c-section (at least my doctors were like that)...Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search