How often should you BD?

Forum: TTC with Male Infertility

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC with Male Infertility LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
How often should you BD with MFI?

I keep hearing diff things...
I need help!
September 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to piggy back on your question Amanda, I was also wondering when it's best to BD? We have issues with all numbers except for vitality, so I'm wondering if it's best to BD before O day, on O day? And like you said I'm also wondering how often?

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
Im sitting here googling right now tammy Im trying to google EVERYTHING with DH's numbers. So confusing!
September 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've heard a lot of conflicting things as well. The book TCOYF says to abstain a few days before your fertile period (if your lucky enough to have a clue when that is supposed to be ) and then BD every other day through the temp rise. I've also heard that the sperm get "stale" and quality (motility, morphology) goes down if you go too long without BDing. I know some ladies on here have had success with BDing every day as well.

As far as timing, I know for a fact my son was conceived 2 full days before I O'd (I got sick after that so we didn't get anymore BDing in.)That was also the 2nd night in a row that we had BD'd but before that we'd been doing every other day. I have heard that the day BEFORE you O is actually the most important day b/c there is such a short window that the egg lives. Personally my peak CM day seems to be 2 days before O (usually when I get my positive OPK if I do them), so I always try to hit that day if I can.

We have tried pretty much every variation of timing and frequency so far and are now just trying to hit a few of my fertile days and hoping for the best

My Ovulation Chart

Last edited by wishfulgal; September 3rd, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
September 3rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
*Mommy2Remington*'s Avatar ~MommyTo2~
Usually BDing every other day starting the day BEFORE ovulation is the key. However- not sure what is best.
We tried for 14 cycles straight- and did the "every other day rule" every single month. The month we got pregnant- we started to BD the day BEFORE ovulation and BD every single day for 5 days straight. According to my babys current size and due date- docs predict that I got pregnant (or that the sperm and egg met) 2 days after the LAST time we BDd...or 3 days after ovulation.
I also agree with the "sperm getting stale" thing. Our RE told us that obtaining more then 3 days in between is pointless- 2 days at the most! Sperm is made every single day- in fact is like a million or 2 sperm is made every single day (and it only takes one) so waiting a few days DOES increase your chances of having MORE sperm but it also needs to correspond with your egg. SO hubby can 100 thousand sperm- and catch the egg and result in pregnancy...OR hubby can have 10 million sperm AND catch the egg and also result in pregnancy-- Its not about the QUANTITY of the sperm-- its all about the QUALITY of the sperm AND egg. (we do have someone on here that got pregnant with twins who had a 100,000 count)
All in All-- you need sperm and an egg....you dont NEED a "ton" of sperm- you just need ONE "healthy motile" sperm and a HEALTHY EGG! It only takes one so don't fret tooooooo much about how much sperm hubby has- worry more about the sperm being "alive and active".
( I hope this doesn't sound ...rude?)

Last edited by *Mommy2Remington*; September 3rd, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
September 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Keri, I just really enjoyed your explanation. Such a good point! Thanks!
September 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Keri, I def agree with you about quality over quantity! My acupuncturist has been treating a man who has sperm count of over 1 billion! Yup, you read that right... and he and his wife have been ttc for over a year!

My DH also has motility problems, so if most of his sperm choose to tread water over swim, but they live a long time, I'm thinking they could still make it if we were a couple days too early? We both work shift work and his will take him out of town for a couple days at a time so sometimes it's hard to get things in when we're supposed to

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 4th, 2010, 08:17 AM
You are welcome!!!
My hubby had a 7 million count --could obviously be worse-- BUT~~~ He had just about 4% MOTILE rate...meaning only 4% of those sperm actually swam! So he had lazy swimmers. ALSO- and that particular SA test, he had about half of the sperm that came out dead AND/OR deformed like with 2 heads. So He had enough sperm to make a baby, but his sperm quality sucked!!
That was done in June of 2009- we were supposed to do another SA in April 2010 but got pregnant the month before so I don't know how much his sperm had improved in that time span.
September 4th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Keri, I can't remember if it was yourself I read about on another post, I'll go check after I ask, but did DH do anything to improve his sperm? My DH quit smoking and wow can we both tell a difference in his sploosh! First, his sex drive is through the roof which I love! And, there's lot more sploosh than there used to be, both fantastic signs I would say!

We're doing IUI with me on Clomid next cycle so I have high hopes

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 4th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Yes in April of last year he quit smoking and he quit drinking in Jan of this year.....it was amazing what it did to his 'stuff'~ He started producing more and it looked 'healthier'
September 4th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DH just drinks but he's cut down some, thankfully.
He still produces quite a lot his overall volume was 3 ml where average is 2(not suprising since Im always RUNNING to the bathroom when we BD)
I dont see a % on my paperwork of DH's motility so I dunno anything about that
September 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandapeek View Post
DH just drinks but he's cut down some, thankfully.
He still produces quite a lot his overall volume was 3 ml where average is 2(not suprising since Im always RUNNING to the bathroom when we BD)
I dont see a % on my paperwork of DH's motility so I dunno anything about that
That is really good!!! Strange that it doesn't show motility % on there....Hmm--maybe that means no news is good news???
September 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe I just dunno what Im looking for. so I just relooked. Our motility is 74% guess Im just an ignoramous sometimes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search