Update on us/DH's varicocele surgery (x-posted)

Forum: TTC with Male Infertility

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC with Male Infertility LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, DH had his varicocele repair surgery on Friday. His urologist said it went very well and he found/reparied a "sizeable" varicocele. DH was glad to hear it was "sizeable" and said he was glad he didn't go through all that for a little dinky thing . Larger varicoceles are more likely to be the cause of low sperm count, so hopefully this helps. His recovery is going well, his incision is sore, but surprisingly he says "the boys" feel fine . He can't lift more than 15 lbs (Including Mason ) for the next 4 weeks, so I can't wait til that time is up.

His next SA is about 3 months from now (that's the soonest we can expect any improvements) and then another one 6 months post-op to see if there are any improvements. We could use all of the prayers we can get that this helps. I'm trying to stay cautiously optimistic that we will be able to get pregnant naturally again someday. It's hard to stay positive when we've been trying almost a year. I can't believe a year ago we were so excited for me to get AF back so we could start trying for #2. I never took it for granted that it would happen right away since it took 6 months to get pregnant the first time, but I sure never expected a severe male infertility diagnosis and to still be trying (and not even expecting to get pregnant any time soon) a year later

AF just showed today (no surprise, I don't even get sad about it anymore ) and we are going to try to go more the "casual TTC" route for the next few months. I don't think it's possible to truly NTNP when you know your cycle as good as I do and you really want a baby, but I won't be doing OPKs or temping or anything. I'm sure we'll end up DTD a few times in my "fertile" period and whatever happens, happens. I want another baby more than anything in the world, but I've given up thinking that there is really anything else *we* can do to make that happen. I've even started drinking coffee again. It occured to me that I had given it up for the length of an entire pregnancy, and I don't even have a baby to show for it. Doggone it, there are women who get pregnant while falling down the stairs drunk....I think I deserve some cotton pickin' coffee !

My Ovulation Chart
September 12th, 2010, 10:07 PM
*Mommy2Remington*'s Avatar ~MommyTo2~
Im so glad that your DHs surgery went well! Im SUPER hoping that the surgery fixes your 'glitch' and that baby of yours show up in your tummy sooner then later
As for the coffee??? GO FOR IT!!! Like you said- there are some girls that get pregnant by just looking at a man so you go and enjoy yourself. Things WILL and CAN happen...even while drinking coffee
Keep up posted! My thoughts are with you and your hubby
September 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
So glad all is well!! I sure hope you get that bfp before he even has to do a follow up..and you and Kari are right..go for the coffee..i quit giving up anything i love b/c its been 3 years and i have nothing..like what you said..about the drunk girls..even crackheads get pregnant..we can too! good luck hun!
September 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Regular
Wow! I got on here to ask a question about the embolization surgery and here you are sounding almost exactly like me! I hope things continue to improve-my husband had his surgery the last week of August and he's back to more than normal-he started back on P90X a week ago, the freak!

So my question was how soon can we see "improvements"-in our situation his count was fine, they were literally just not moving, not one-you say they said three months? Three months is a LONG STINKING TIME!!
September 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi.leigh View Post
Wow! I got on here to ask a question about the embolization surgery and here you are sounding almost exactly like me! I hope things continue to improve-my husband had his surgery the last week of August and he's back to more than normal-he started back on P90X a week ago, the freak!

So my question was how soon can we see "improvements"-in our situation his count was fine, they were literally just not moving, not one-you say they said three months? Three months is a LONG STINKING TIME!!

3 months is the soonest the surgery can help b/c it takes about 3 months for a new crop of sperm to mature (I don't really understand why, but that's just how it is) So any changes that are made now, you can't expect to see results for at least 3 months. The varicocele surgery can take even longer than that...I've read stories on other boards where the SA was no better at 3 months or 6 months and then at 8 months or something it was all of the sudden "normal". Ugh. I know how frustrating it can be to wait! I hope your DH's surgery is a success!

My Ovulation Chart
September 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM
adamsgirl
I hope hope hope the surgery works! I know how hard the waiting is so hopefully it will go fast and once you do get pg I promise it feels like you just started trying yesterday, even after years! LOL I am sending all the positive sperm vibes I can for the next, well as long as it takes!!
September 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
Well I hope it somehow doesnt take 3 months and you get it going now!

TTC #1 for five years
Battling PCOS and Male Factor Infertility
September 15th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Regular
Thanks, and thanks for the info! Hoping a little miracle happens SOON for you guys
October 1st, 2010, 08:32 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
Thank you for posting this! This is one of the options Dh and I are considering. Did the doc say your DH can DTD now? Or does he have to wait the 3 months?
October 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Regular
I'm not the original poster, but my DH's urologist said by all means do NOT stop trying just in case! 3 months is when he'll get a follow-up SA since it takes the 70-something days to "repopulate". Miracles happen though! We're exactly halfway there today... our countdown ends November 13!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search