Scheduled IUI consult

Forum: TTC with Male Infertility

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC with Male Infertility LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Well I feel a little guilty but I scheduled an IUI consult at my Ob's office today, I never knew they did IUI's but I was on the site the other day looking for something and seen that they do them and its only a $20 co-pay to consult with my ob, where it would be $250 to consult with an RE, so we set up an appointment for Monday, Oct 18th.

The reason for the guilt is when we were trying for our son years ago we went to urologists, ob's, RE's...etc...and they all kept giving us grim hope and told us our only option was IVF...well I refused to believe that and we couldn't afford it, so I kept my dh on many supplements and kept praying, I have a strong faith in Christ and just believed he would bless us...the wait was hard...27 months later we conceived our son, naturally...I felt beyond blessed and felt my faith paid off.

So now I feel like I am not trusting as much but this time my dh is getting older, he is 10 years older than me, he is 38 and I don't want him to be too much older before we have # 2...I do not want to go through 27 months of trying again, we are already onto month # 11 and I just can't handle another 2 year wait so we're considering IUI since its tons more affordable than IVF. We have no idea where dh's counts stand, right before we conceived our son they stood at 5.3 million count, 60% motile, and 60% morph....since then he was diagnosed with mild diabetes and put on meds for it which I've read can affect fertility so I am concerned his numbers are much worse now. So I am sure they'll request another SA and then decide if they will even move forward with IUI, they want to see at least 3-5 million for IUI. So this is where we stand, maybe I'll get blessed again and not have to make this appointment. When trying for our son I scheduled a second opinion with a new RE 1 day after my period was due, well I tested positive just 24 hours before that appointment and got to cancel, that was awesome! I'd love to see that happen again.

Last edited by Joliving4Jesus; September 20th, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
September 21st, 2010, 10:53 AM
*Mommy2Remington*'s Avatar ~MommyTo2~
Don't feel guilty silly!!!! This is all part of TTC !! I did 2 IUIs as well...and yea- felt like I was 'giving up' on the possibility of conceiving on our own but after the first IUI was done- I felt like I was more or less taking CONTROL of our infertility....rather then let it beat us. Does that makes sense?
GOOD LUCK!! I can't wait to hear about it and I'm hoping you have good news to share with us at the end of October!!! *fingers are crossed for you and DH*
September 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
I know how you feel of sorts, like by doing IUI youre taking God's will into your own hands but I assure you that you arent! God will NOT give us a baby before HIS time so if it takes you IUI to help get to his time then so be it!
Try not to feel too bad on yourself hun! Good luck with the IUI!
September 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree, you shouldn't feel guilty. I'm in a similar position (having conceived naturally before) and I'm also a Christian. But in a way I see infertility as a disease that needs to be treated. 100+ years ago, many people with diabetes died b/c there was no treatment, and many infertile couples remained childless b/c there was no help for them. I don't think it is wrong to go ahead with treatments that can help you overcome infertility.
On the other hand, I know how you feel b/c I am also hesitant to go ahead with IUI (I don't think it's an option for us at this point with DH's counts). I feel like God gave us one baby without medical assistance, and I should have faith that it can happen again. But we did go ahead with DH's varicocele surgery. We will probably never do IVF mostly b/c we can't afford to spend that much on a one time shot at getting pregnant, and I can't imagine the disappointment if it didn't work. But we will probably start the adoption process before too long if the surgery doesn't work. That won't mean that we are giving up on ever having another biological child, just that we need to move forward with growing our family and that seems the best way for us to do it.

My Ovulation Chart
September 23rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Thank you ladies, I feel more confident moving forward with this, I don't even know if it will happen because I have no idea where dh's counts stand, I am super worried they are going to be bad. I think even though they like to see 3-5 million, they will try with less and said they have had a few instances of couples getting pregnant with IUI with only a few hundred thousand sperm.

I am trying to put the guilt aside, I don't want God to think I am not trusting in him but I feel compelled to look into it, I know God can stop me like he did last time a day before I was going to get a second opinion, if he doesn't, I am going to move forward and I believe if I am meant to go through it, it will fall into place, if not, things won't happen.

September 26th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really wanted us to be able to do this on our own as well, and someone once told me... God wouldn't have created doctors if he didn't want them to help us! They were put here to help people like us, so God is still doing his thing, and even though it's not natural, it's still what he wants for us

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 1st, 2010, 07:29 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
I'm struggling with the same feeling. It took us 13 months to get pregnant and we had a m/c, so now I am trying to decide what my timeline is before we do IUI. MY DH is against it. He thinks I'm giving up. But I can't go through that wait again. Hugs to you. We all have to way the pros and cons, and the biggest pro —*a baby — is what is telling me IUI is the right choice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search