Sperm analysis questions~ PLease help

Forum: TTC with Male Infertility

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC with Male Infertility LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
New to the boards

Me: 34, DH: 35
DD: 21 months, au naturale

When DD was 6 months we started to try for number 2 and here I am many many sad months later. Went to OB last Thursday. Showed him my charts... He said they looked like I was ov but had a progesterone test done today to be sure, awaiting these resuts. NOW:

Hubby had SA today and these are the REALLY confusing results:

Sperm count: 249 million per mL (yes, that is what this paper in front of me says!)

Volume: 3 mL

Total coiunt per Specimen: 747 million (90-750 normal range on the paper)

Motility: 75%

Progressive Motility: 75%

Sperm forward progression: 8 (range: 6-10) this one is also confusing

Sperm NORMAL morphology: 80%

Sperm ABNORMAL morph: 20%

Comments: few pinheads, roundheads

After I got my progesterone tested today, I asked to get the SA results. The secretary came back and said, "the doctor said it was normal results". So I asked for the copy. They gave it to me. And no I have spent many hours online trying to find out if that abnormally high count could be the reason for our fertility issues.

Has anyone encountered this? I have read that polyzoospermia (count greater than 250 million per mL) could be a cause of MFI. So my question is this is 249/mL not considered polyzoospermia??? Is the fact that his total sperm count was within normal limits a good sign? I don't have an appointment with doc until thursday (3 days away) and I am just being overly anxious. I was hoping to have an IUI in 2 weeks, well I guess I am looking for some sort of hope. Aren't we all.

I am hopeful that we did it once 2 years ago...maybe we can do it again!

Anything you have to say would be helpful.

Thank you, babyhaze2
January 3rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Yes indeed men can have counts that are too high but I have not looked into the numbers much with that, but a friend of mine's husbands counts were actually too high and causing MFI, but I will inform you that she was successful twice on the first shot with IUI, a singleton girl the first time and twin boys the second time that she unfortunately lost at 23 weeks....so IUI is a very good option for a count thats too high. A normal total sperm ejaculate starts at 40 million per ml, not sure where that 90 per ml came from, thats high...my paper says 40 million+ per ejaculate is normal....doesn't given an upper range limit though.

Last edited by Joliving4Jesus; January 3rd, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
January 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I can honestly say I've never heard of having too many sperm. What causes the issue with that?

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you well. Hopefully if your DH has the polyzoospermia IUI would be a good option for you.

My Ovulation Chart
January 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Yep, not nearly as common but I believe they wash and eliminate quite of bit of sperm for the IUI process, therefore making it a great option for polyzoospermia.

January 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
My Hubby had counts like that too in the beginning..i dont think its anything to be too concerned about!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
January 11th, 2011, 11:26 AM
AHH! First, Thanx to ALL that responded! It really has put me to ease a bit.

OK. So, my progesterone level was 7.6, which I thought was too low, but Doc again said, NOPE all is good. Today I am going for my CD3 blood work. Fasting all day has been a blast

When OB/GYN called to report that my P4 was fine and that I am ovulating, he suggested that I stard clomid this cycle. WOW! Clomid? I was ready for baby #2, I am not sure I want to risk having baby #2 and #3!

I asked, insted of clomid, can't we just to and IUI? He said no. First clomid, then a HSG if need be, then an IUI. Is that right?

I made an appointment with RE for next week, to be sure this order is correct, and for them to look over DH analysis. I don't want to be on meds if it is simply DH sperm count.

I read someplace the w/ polyzoospermia that there is something missing in the head of the sperm making fertilization difficult. I couldn't tell from the article if they meant every sperm was missing this vital enzyme (or whatever it is) or if just the majority of them are. There isn't too much data on polyzoospermia.

Ugg.. why is this so hard

I will update with my new numbers tomorrow as well as what the RE says!
January 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM
joliving4jesus: I just wanted to comment on the 90 million thing. THat is referring to the TOTAL sperm count. So since my DH had 3 mL of sperm, you take 249 million x3 = 747 million on the Total sample. So my question was even though 249 million per mL was over the limit, the 747 million was in the 90-750 million per sample, will that keep him out of the polyzoospermia group? Guess I will find out next week at RE...and I will keep you all in the loop~!
January 11th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Gotcha, I was going by my dh who had like 2.1 ML and they said 40 million total sperm count was normal for his ML...makes sense with the 3 ML thing.

Really it depends on your doctor, some doctors will let you go straight to IUI, my OB made me get an HSG first though because IUI would be pointless if their was blockage, so we did HSG, dh got his SA, then she gave us the option of moving onto IUI right away or giving clomid a shot alone for however long I wanted, I chose to do the clomid alone for 2 months, on the second month now, if nothing this month we'll move onto IUI next month. But being that your dh's counts are so high you have a very high chance of multiples with clomid...I would be closely monitored to make sure your not producing more then about 1-2 eggs on the clomid...and I would consider a natural IUI cycle with no meds or your chances will improve even more with multiples.

January 11th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Yea Jo! That is EXACTLY what I thought. If it were up to me I would have an unmedicated IUI. I can't even think about twins right now. 3 in daycare would be enough for DH to jump off GW bridge!! I will know more next week after RE appt. I will be CD 8 on that appointment. Maybe enough time to try an IUI this month if she sees fit?? Let ch'a know if DH sperm count is considered polyzoospermia and if my wapping 7.6 is sufficient enough to consider that I am actualy ovulating...

Time for dinner. Have a good night.
January 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Keep us posted, CD 8 should still be plenty of time for IUI...I went in on CD 10 one time and my OB said she would have went ahead with the IUI if I had recently had an HSG but I hadn't so we had to do that first...good luck in whatever you decide this cycle.

January 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM
quick update, called regular ob/gyn today to find out about cd 3 labs and he said they were not in the computer yet...I had them done 4 days ago. So I called the lab myself to ask why it was taking so long or to see if they lost them. They said one test was still pending and it should be ready today. What could take so long?? I am so anxious to get these back. Also, due to a death in family re appt. had to be resceduled for following week. Guess I will try on my own this month...again.
January 21st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Another update: it is officially not DH. It is me. ;( FSH 12.2 moving on to IVF next month. Thank you all for listening...babyhaze2 out

Tags
polyzoospermia , sperm analysis

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search