We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
After almost 3 years of TTC I got on the ball with fertility testing and I seem to be fine. Finally got an SA done and it came back "severely abnormal." We have an appointment with a male infertility specialist next week. I'm not finding much info about this or much hope. How am I suppose to think about all of this?
I'm so sorry you got bad news, can you share some of the numbers of your dh's SA? That way we can better tell how severe it is. Do know that my dh's was considered severe 4 years ago and we conceived our son naturally after 26 months of trying, I got my dh on a ton of supplements and had him stop some habits like hot baths, tight underware, etc...I believe all that really helped. We have been TTC # 2 for 15 months this time...I hope your wait ends soon and that you get your miracle you've been waiting for!
I'm sorry you have to go through this. Try not to panic until you talk to the male infertitlity specialist. My DH's counts were severely abnormal back in June 2010 (1.3 million/ml with 36% motility)....which shocked us b/c we had conceived our son naturally within 6 months two years before that. He went to a fertiltiy specialist urologist, who found a varicocele (bascially a varicoces vein in the testicle, it can cause the blood to pool and heat things up). DH had surgery in September and at his 3-mont post-op checkup things had improved to 12 million/ml and 50% motility with the total amount of sperm above normal. He has also been on a strict vitamin regimine, wearig boxers, avoiding hot tubs, etc. It takes at least 3 months for any changes you make to improve things, so it does take time to see results. DH's count is still on the low side so we are going to try doing IUIs next. Before, they told us IVF was our only option.
I know how devastating a diagnosis of MFI can be Hang in there, and hopefully the fertility specialist has some answers for you.
HUGS!! Hang in there! My Dh had all sorts of different analysis..they finally came to the conclusion that he had 0% normal sperm..at all! We literally had a 1% chance of concieving..even ivf failed..but now we are 15 weeks pregnant! It can happen..dont lose hope sweetie..i know its hard but hang in there!
I didn't think to ask for numbers. I figured I had to wait for the specialist. All I know my world came crashing down. The first year of TTC was mostly "not preventing" then the 2nd was full blown obsession. I always thought I would manage perfectly fine without kids but now, after 2 1/2 years of loving the idea, the thought of maybe never devastates me. We aren't getting any younger and we have no family here. Ok this has turned into a depressing rant... Sorry! I always told myself if we can't have kids then there must be a higher reason and I respected that. Now that I am faced with the reality I don't like it!
Anyway, I really hope I can get lucky like some of you. I am also trilled that you all have gotten so lucky!
The first intital diagnosis of MFI is hard...but we have a lot of miracle babies that happened here and I believe if the desire is in your heart to become pregnant, it will happen...people used to tell me maybe I wasn't supposed to have kids but I always knew that wasn't true because God gave me that desire and for me personally I believed in the bible that says seek God and he will give you the desires of your heart and it wasn't until I truly had faith in that, that it actually happened. I hope you don't have to endure much more of this trying, I would call and ask for dh's numbers, it may not be as bad as you think and we can also recommend lots of vitamins your dh can get on asap to start helping things.
Went to our first visit yesterday. We have a 0% chance concieving naturally. Even IUI is out unless this numbers improve somehow. He got the testosterone and genetic test done and his veins are on the small side. He has only 1.5million and 21% motility and 1% normal morphology. If the testosterone pills help and that vein surgery helps then IUI may be possible. IVF being our best bet.
I am so torn. I'd hate for him to have surgery and have it not help or find that I have an overlooked problem as well. We go back in a month to redo SA after testosterone use and talk about genetics. I guess it's a start but it's making me sick to my stomach. I'm not ready to give up but I feel hopeless
I'm so sorry that you feel so hopeless but please try to kept your chin up, 0% chance of conceiving naturally isn't true unless your dh has zero sperm and he doesn't, we were given a 1-3% chance of a natural conception and my dh's sperm counts were worse then yours to start, he only had 1.3 million sperm and 20% motility...we got him on lots of vitamins and supplements and improved his counts to 5.6 million and 50% motility...we don't know if it improved further because he hadn't been tested in 8 months but boom, we conceived our son naturally with that grim 1-3% chance we were given, it can still happen!
They are going to try and tell you IVF is best, thats what they did with us but we simply couldn't afford it because insurance paid none, if your insurance covers a large part of it, I'd consider it but I went for a second opinion because I was being pressured into IVF and just 24 hours before that second opinion appointment I found out I was pregnant.
Also know if your going back in 1 month for a repeat SA it will show little to no difference at all with being on the testosterone because it takes 3 months for new sperm to form and show any difference from any treatment, your doctors should know this and shouldn't retest your dh for 3 months after treatment of any kind. I really hope you get that miracle bfp!
How do you interpret the S/A? My OB/GYN sent my husbands off and then gave us a report and said we need to have another one done with a FS(actually she said two more S/A). I have the report and can follow some of it but she didn't explain it at all. I have discerned that his motility is low, 19%, but there are some other numbers I have questions about and some things they didn't test because it was collected at home, taken to hosp. lab and mailed to clinic 4 states away. Does that make a difference that it isn't on site testing? I have questions about other things like the difference between motility and motile/ejaculate(sorry if tmi) and I thought the motility grade was a,b,c,d but his is graded by number. Our insurance doesn't cover either, so wish I had more insight to where we truly stand before making the decision to go to FS.