Help with numbers?

Forum: TTC with Male Infertility

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC with Male Infertility LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2011, 08:06 AM
CaseyCase's Avatar Super Mommy
I figured this is the best place for this, seems you all would be able to help the most

Hi, btw I'm Casey, and my hubby is Ryan.. we've been TTC for 11 cycles now, with a miscarriage @12 weeks in January..

My husband has celiacs disease, and we were recently pointed out that it could be a cause of low sperm count (he's also a personal trainer, in my recent research I also found out that could cause issues). Because we've been trying nearly a year, hubby set up an appointment for an SA.. just to make sure it wasn't on his end.

We were called with the results today. She gave me 3 numbers, she said "they were the important ones" but said she would mail us the full results???

This is what she gave me:

sperm count: 4 million
motility- 23%
morphology- 2% (she said Kruger? I have NO IDEA what that means).

I did some research since I got the numbers.. they aren't good, are they

I was reading on "next steps" and I read that our numbers even suck for an IUI? I know there are certain things you can do to get up the actual sperm count.... but what about the other numbers? 23% and 2%? Is there a way to get those up?

I seriously want to avoid medical procedures if I CAN.. but, I'm not opposed if we need that. We'll do anything for a baby. However, our insurance does not cover IVF.. it does cover IUI's. But, his numbers all need to be higher right?

I did get pregnant before, like I said.. I also hd a miscarriage. I don't know if that has anything to do with any of his sperm issues? I'm trying to research so much, and I'm just getting so much more confused. I'm sure it was a miracle I got pregnant... if I do so again, is another miscarriage just as likely?

The office is going through our insurance, getting us a referral.. I actually gave her the name of an RE I would prefer, as a good friend of mine sees him. She told me to expect a call sometime next week, or so... and they'll set me up with the appointment? She said we should have a consult to discuss what we should/could do and go from there..

I just feel disappointed, I'm sure all of you understand
And, I feel in limbo waiting now.. trying to research myself, and just getting overwhelmed.
Any advice?

May 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Super Mommy
Hi Casey! Welcome!
My DH and I are dealing with MFI too, and I know just how hard it can be!

I don't know a lot about how to improve motility and morphology. My DH's count was really low, so we have known pretty much from the first S/A that IVF was going to be our best option. I do know that some vitamins and supplements, as well as lifestyle changes, can improve sperm count.

As far as I know, 4 million would be too low for IUI to be a viable option. I think IUI is best when the count is only slightly below normal. The RE will go over all of this with you, and will probably want to run all the tests on you too, just to make sure you know exactly what you are dealing with. After they make sure you check out fine, they might refer you to a urologist to see if your DH might have a varicocele or some other physiological issue that could be causing the low count. In our experience, they also did some genetic testing and hormonal bloodwork on my DH to see if there was a specific cause.

I know how you feel about wanting to avoid MA. I never thought we would have to pay a doctor thousands of dollars just to get pregnant! I sincerely hope that they are able to find the cause of his low count and fix it so that you can get pregnant naturally!

TTC on our own for over 2 years
Dx with Severe MFI- Blood work shows no Microdeletion and no CF mutations

Ultrasound scheduled 3/22- DONE! Everything looks normal, other than some cysts on my right ovary.
HSG scheduled 4/14- DONE! Tubes are clear!!
On BCP until our IVF w/ICSI scheduled for August!!!
May 8th, 2011, 07:12 PM
wishfulgal
Hi and Do you know if the 4 million was the total count or the count/ml (concentration)? That makes a difference. I would recommend getting your DH on a vitamin regimine ASAP. I have everything my DH takes listed here:

L-carnitine (3000 mg/day) this is especially important

Acetyl L-carnitine (1000 mg/day)

Vitamin C (1000 mg 2x a day)

Vitamin B12 (1000 mcg/day)

Vitamin E (400 IU/day)

Zinc (50 mg/day)

Mega Men Prostate and Virility from GNC (2x/day)

N-Acetyl Cysteine (600 mg/day)

CoQ10 (50mg/day)

L-lysine (500 mg/day)

Alot of these can be found either at Walmart or Vitacost.com. The cost does add up but it is nothing compared to IVF.

My DH's counts improved dramatically after being on this regimine: from 3.2 million total sperm count with 36 % motility in June 2010 to 48 million total sperm count with 50% motility in December 2010. I wouldn't bother with Fertilaid or Fertility Blend, they don't have enough L-carnitine in them. He also had surgery on a varicocele (dialated blood vessel in his testicle). I would have your DH see a urologist and see if they can find any underlying issues.

Please don't give up hope. It is a difficult journey but there is always hope. My DH has a low count and I have a 2-year old son (conceived within 6 months without us even knowing we had a fertility problem), and I also conceived a few months ago although that sadly ended in m/c. There is always hope. Doctors are very quick to push you towards IVF when dealing with male infertility, but the fact that you have conceived naturally before is a very positive thing.
May 9th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Veteran
I agree with getting your DH on a vitamin regimen, I have heard that it can make a HUGE difference. My DH also had a varicocele repair although we got a BFP right before his repair which we were so excited about and I just miscarried. It is so unbelievably heartbreaking and frustrating, I know, we are going onto month #15 of TTC. Have your DH visit a urologist and see if he has a varicocle or something else that can be fixed. The only thing that keeps me going is feeling like I am least doing everything I can.
Megann & Greg married 7/18/09, expecting baby #1 April 14th, 2012

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 11th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Super Mommy
My DH is taking GNC mega man prostrate and virility formula
( he does not have prostrate issues but the ingredients also help sperm).
he has only taken it for a little over a week and we noticed a big difference in semen volume, sperm motility and count. so I firmly believe vitamins can help.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search