Many questions about donor sperm and IUI ???

Forum: TTC with Male Infertility

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC with Male Infertility LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Veteran
Im new and have many questions. Im considering going the donor route and iui. I have been reseraching it for some time. My situation is, 2 pregnancies but miscarried both. Now single, 36 and just found out i have many ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids. Im getting a little nervous about my time running out. How do i even start this process? Do I talk to my regular obgyn and tell her i would like to start the iui process? Does the doc contact sperm banks or do I do that? How many iuis is the average? And will i have testing or blood work monthly from af to o or do i just do opk and call them when positive? Im sorry i have so my questions. Also i think my insurance (tufts in mass) covers alot of it but it says after 6 or 12 months of trying. Considering im single and not trying would some of it still be covered? Thank you so much for any info you can give
June 19th, 2011, 07:51 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
IUI is usually done by a RE, not an OBGYN. You may need a referal though based on your insurance, doctor, and RE clinic. What I would do first is research some clinics in your area and see if you can get some information from them. If you have already had your regular check up this year with your OBGYN, then I would bypass that all together unless you need that insurance referral.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
June 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Veteran
Oh i didnt know this. I have had my yearly check up but have 2 appointments in the next few weeks to recheck on some ovarian cysts. Ill bring all this up when i go in
June 20th, 2011, 06:13 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
I would definitely bring all this up when you go in next for a visit. Do you have a good relationship with your OB? If not, you may want to find another one if it's possible. They can help with the process. You will probably need a RE as well, but I have heard of some OB's doing the IUI or at least signing off on the paperwork for the donor sperm. You will be the one to contact the bank you wish to use, choose the donor, and set up all those details. I've yet to hear of any insurance company covering those costs (donor sperm), so do your research on those as wells. There are several to choose from in this country, and the price varies alot. All the banks we had looked at required a doctor's signature to purchase from the bank too. As far as the IUI, it depends on each situation. I had a medicated & monitored IUI. Clomid, estrogen, HCG trigger, progesterone & u/s to see when I would be ovulating. I worked with an RE. I've heard of others not having all that monitoring, some had monitoring without the medications, and even some that have done the insemination at home or with an OB not an RE. It depends on the doctors, cost, insurance coverage, etc. Insurance varies so much on coverage, so I don't have much suggestions for that except pull out your book and see what it does/does not cover.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
June 20th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Veteran
Thank you so much for all the info. Its all so much and overwhelming. I have contacted a sperm bank for prices and how this all works. They made it sound very easy. Also do you have to use sperm banks in your area? Or could someone from mass use one in cali? Im thinking mine may need monitoring considering i have cysts, fibroids and 2 miscarriages. Medicated, im not to sure. Im going to start really tracking cycles now and using opks ahead of time in hopes that that will help the doc. Im really hoping my doc here in the area can do this. I searched for re's and most are a distance from me. The sperm bank i contaced was 580 for closed profile donor and 680 for public. I thought that sounded like alot. When you did yours did you conceive and if so how many tried did it take and if not good luck with your trying

another thing to is im afraid of which sperm banks to trust! How do you know when searching online if they are legit??
June 21st, 2011, 05:07 AM
It can be overwhelming. ((hugs))

I'm going to try to break down your questions to help with answers -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicat375 View Post
Thank you so much for all the info. Its all so much and overwhelming. I have contacted a sperm bank for prices and how this all works. They made it sound very easy. Im really hoping my doc here in the area can do this. I searched for re's and most are a distance from me. The sperm bank i contaced was 580 for closed profile donor and 680 for public. I thought that sounded like alot.
The prices vary so much, but that sounds about right. Also check into the shipping cost as that can vary too. One advantage to local bank is you can sometimes pick up and save on the shipping. There are also ways to minimize the costs, you can skip on some of the "frills" of baby photos of donor, photo matching (some banks will do this for free, others charge), and there were even a few banks that charged more depending on the education level the donors had (for example, a Master's Degree or PhD were extra $$$$) As far as easy, ONCE we choose the donor and knew what we were doing (in our case working with an RE and having a monitored cycle), it was easy. RE told me when to order, I called sperm bank and they shipped the vials out. Ahead of time, you get everything ready. In most cases your doctor has to sign paperwork for the bank and the bank needs this done ahead of time. In our case the RE required a counseling session before they would even approve us proceeding using donor sperm, and I also had to have other tests done prior to make sure I was a good candidate for the IUI (dye looking at my tubes to spot any potential problems, various u/s, and lots of bloodwork. I felt like a pin cushion). So talk to your doctor ahead of time before narrowing down the banks, and see what they suggest in your case. If the OB can do it, if you do need to see an RE. They may even recommend some banks. Choosing the donor took weeks too, that can also be overwhelming, so prepare yourself for that. But also realize that this child will also have 1/2 of your characteristics in him/her so the donor traits may or may not be apparent. Right now, our son looks so much like me, it's eerie.

Quote:
Also do you have to use sperm banks in your area? Or could someone from mass use one in cali?
- No, you can use any of them in this country (and probably some in other countries if they'll ship - I did NOT investigate other countries). I live in Maryland and we used a bank in the midwest. There were banks much closer, but we did not go with them.

Quote:
Im thinking mine may need monitoring considering i have cysts, fibroids and 2 miscarriages. Medicated, im not to sure. Im going to start really tracking cycles now and using opks ahead of time in hopes that that will help the doc.
You may very well have to be monitored, bring all this up to the doc and see what they suggest. I had PCOS with the insulin resistance, wonky irregular cycles, and was also older (was 35) so medicated & monitored was best for my situation. Tracking your cycles, I think would be a great start. Go visit fertility friend here on the internet (fertilityfriend.com), they have great resources to learn how to track your system with temping and checking your cervix position & fluid/mucous. This was a great help with me figuring out if/when I O'd when we were TTC.

Quote:
When you did yours did you conceive and if so how many tried did it take and if not good luck with your trying
We were successful, the 2nd cycle and our precious boy is in my siggy. Over a year old now.

Quote:
another thing to is im afraid of which sperm banks to trust! How do you know when searching online if they are legit??
Check out the BBB (Better Business Bureau), Google them, look for reviews, also look for online communities of other women using them. There are tons of sites out there on the internet, like here on JM, that are specific to using donor sperm and using individual banks. Some of the banks themselves have forums set up on their web sites. I belong to another online group with ladies who have used the same bank I did, some even the same donor. These ladies are like me, where DH is unable to produce sperm, some are like you SMBC (single mother by choice), others are with same sex partners. I like that I have this other site (which is a closed private group), where we can share photos, and get to know a diverse group of individuals who have used the same path to have children.

I hope I answered your questions, if not please feel free to ask away.

Good luck!!! I know it is overwhelming, so hang in there.

Last edited by BeckyM; June 21st, 2011 at 05:16 AM.
June 21st, 2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran
Thank you soooooo much for your time and all of the info. It was more than i could have asked for
June 21st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Super Mommy
I have heard good things about California cryobank. I was considering the donor route a few years ago myself. I do know that if your set of doing IUI there are some OB's and even midwives that are willing to perform the IUI. here in portland we have a midwife that does IUI in the comfort of her clients home. You could also try ICI in your own home which has close to the same success rate as IUI.
June 22nd, 2011, 02:56 AM
Veteran
That is one of the 2 i have been in contact with. The other one is New England something..not sure i would have to look. Been researching Xytex to. Just afraid to send that amount of cash on line or over the phone. I have no idea what ici is ?
June 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Super Mommy
ICI is intracervical insemination ,semen is placed at the opening of the cervix so it gives sperm a head start,my DH and I tried it this cycle. waiting to see if it was successful.
June 23rd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Good luck, Lisa!!!

June 23rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you Becky!.
June 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM
hopingforbabymc's Avatar Finally Pregnant!
Good luck Lisa!!

Team BLUE!! Two precious boys born on October 28th, 2013.
Liam - 6lbs 7oz
Micah - 6lbs 10oz
June 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks Marlena !. Good luck to you too!.
August 3rd, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hey friends, thanks for your discussions i really got very good knowledge about the topic after reading it. you have done really good work.
October 1st, 2011, 09:50 AM
Rowan's Mamma
The only thing I would add is that you check with your dr. on if they will only use certain banks. My RE would not let me use Midwest, which is what I wanted due to price- but was told no due to the fact that they did not meet the standards that they had put in place at my RE's office. It added insult to injury because my state, NY, already has strict guidelines in place and am not allowed to have sperm shipped to my home. We ended up going with Xytex, in GA. We bought IUI, unwashed vials as my RE wanted to do the washing in the clinic.
IUI w/ DS - 8/29/11, BFP on 9/10/11, beta 9/12/11 (172, 15dpiui).
Heartbeat 120, seen/heard at 6w4d, HB 10/14/11 (8w4d) was 175
DS born 5/14/12 at 8:02 AM, 7 pds 3.5 oz 20 1/4 in
October 1st, 2011, 08:03 PM
Veteran
They did give me the name of 3 different places. I ended up choosing one of those

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search