We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Well the last time I posted here I had good news, my dh's counts and such were looking fairly normal, back in Nov 10' his counts were 55 million, 58% motility, and 3% morph (slightly low), but we were very optimistic with these numbers, but since we are here 8 months later with no BFP still, we decided to see a male factor specialist/urologist to perform extensive testing on dh again since it had been about 6 years since his last extensive testing. Well we went in for the results today and his numbers are much worse then they were 8 months ago, they are now only 20 million count, 37% motility, and 2% morph. They also found bilateral varicocele's and I am a bit shocked because 6 years ago they found no reason for his low numbers (6 years ago his numbers were only about 3 million count but we conceived our son naturally surprisingly!). Now, our insurance covers varicocele repair so we're highly considering going that route...does anyone have success with this repair? I am reading around online and not reading a lot of success, some claim it did improve the numbers but still didn't result in a BFP. Part of me is telling myself, try a couple IUI's before the surgery and the other part of me is saying go straight for the VR to start quickly and hopefully improving his numbers. The doctor told us our chance of success with IUI was low according to his numbers from last week. But why such a dramatic drop in numbers? He claims that with varicocele the numbers can go up and down but I find that unlikely according to what I've read online, most that have varicocele the numbers range really low between 2 million-20 million but never 55 million like my dh had 8 months ago...so what do you think? I am kind of confused
So sorry to hear that, I personally would get the VR because 3 months later you could have your BFP naturally.
also remember that sperm count can fluctuate a great deal even monthly, so its up to you if you want to try the IUI .
I'm sorry to hear this. (((hugs))) I don't have any experience with this, so no personal advice on how to handle. I think though (like Lisa suggests) that I would consider the surgery especially if insurance is willing to cover it. Good luck!!
We also had our son naturally right after we got married, we didn't know my hubby had a sperm count issue. After two years of trying we went forward with the varicocele surgery, we wanted to try to to have a child naturally verses IUI (religious reasons) At 3 months the doctor was happy with my husbands results and said that he expected them to continue to get better, but if we were not pregnant by 6 months after surgery to come back to see him...well 6 1/2 months after surgery we got our BFP. We would definetly go back and do the surgery again.
My DH had the surgery in march. We went that route because insurance covered it and I really wanted the chance to have a natural BFP. We have not had a follow up SA but if we haven't gotten pregnant by september I think we will have it done again. It's a hard choice, my DH was in a lot of pain for about a week and I felt so bad but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I did get a BFP right before his surgery in march but sadly it ended in a miscarriage. It took us 14 months to get that one so I am really hoping it happens sooner for us post surgery.
__________________ Megann & Greg married 7/18/09, expecting baby #1 April 14th, 2012
My Dh had the surgery in September 2010. His numbers went from 3 million total with 36% motility to 48 million total with 50% motility and we conceived naturally 3 1/2 months later. However, that ended in m/c in January 2011 and now we have had no luck in the 7 months since my m/c and Dh's counts have stayed in about that same improved range. We even did one IUI with no success. I guess I would still say the surgery is worth a shot. We have a lot higher chances of conceiving than we did before. DH says he doesn't regret it at all even though it doesn't look like it was the magic bullet for us.