stopping hormone treatment, looking to go donor route-q's for donor users

Forum: TTC with Male Infertility

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC with Male Infertility LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Regular
Hi,

So after nearly a year of my DH on Hormone Replacement Therapy Drugs ( he had to inject himself with two different meds , 3 x week ) and not seeing any results ( my DH's body doesn't produce enough testosterone to make semen/sperm) we have decided to stop treatment- mainly because we hit our insurance max and to even get through the rest of the year would be 6000$. We have talked about using a donor and IUI and we're both okay w/ this idea- however we recently discussed the idea of using a family member as the donor, my DH was hoping using his dad and or brother. While I can understand where he's coming from, the idea of using a family member as a donor sort of worries me, my concern is - what if the baby looks just like his BROTHER or his DAD, can I handle that? Can my sister in law handle that? Can my brother in law or father in law handle that? Can I get past the idea that my child's grandfather could actually be their father... ? Has ANYONE who used donor sperm used family sperm and what was it like for you?

I hope everyone is doing well and getting to their mommy dreams. Let's keep our heads up ladies!
xx
Scottiegrl.
September 22nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Veteran
I will be using donor sperm also. I can see his point of using family members but totally see yours to. I honestly feel there are sooo many donors out there that if you take the time and really look you will find someone who is perfect for you. It took me a few months to narrow it down and now feel very happy with my choice. I myself would not be ok using a family member, just because of legal matters, looks, feelings. I just couldnt. But totally your decision
September 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Regular
Hi Jessica

I appreciate your opinion and obviously my DH and I have some talking to do before we make this uber big decision. BEST to you on your adventure on getting pregnant! I have been to some of the sperm bank websites and it's almost FUN because it's like shopping in a weird way. I hope it works out for you!!
September 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
DH & I didn't even consider a family member mainly because he has 1 brother but it's not a good relationship. Together we searched through the different banks and chose a donor. We were successful our 2nd IUI cycle and our beautiful boy is almost 17 months now. Good luck! I sometimes forget to check in here on this board since we're not currently TTC ,but I'm always willing to answer questions or assist. PM me if I forget to check in to a message.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
September 28th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Regular
Thank you Becky! I think I am def leaning towards more a donor from a bank, I think in the long run that would make it best for us all. I can appreciate anyone's decision to use a family member but I don't think I personally could get that fact out of my head or when I looked at my child. Your son is adorable by the way. Gorgeous pics

Thank you !

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search