Beta issues and feedback UPDATE post #47

Need Help Navigating JM?

Post here if you need help with anything at JustMommies. If you are having problems registering at JustMommies please contact us at boards@justmommies.com

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Need Help Navigating JM? LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I am running into a few overlap issues in the User CP and a few other areas on the forums...

Screenshots: (Photobucket resizes down, if you need full screen or more info let me know.)

Main User CP page:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../screeshot.jpg

PM page:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...creenshot4.jpg

Edit Subscriptions page:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...creenshot3.jpg

FAQ Page:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...creenshot2.jpg

It also does it when editing my signature, but that is almost expected as the signature width is all the space you've got and the preview is too wide once put beside the CP menu.

I'm using FF on Windows, with plenty of resolution (1680 x 1050).

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
June 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been using beta all day, and in the past couple of hours have run into problems.

When I first switched over, the font was still regular size. Now it's teeny tiny and I can barely read it.
Sometimes the words get all smushed together to where it just looks like a dot, and I have to scroll down and back up to get them to "fix" so I can read it.

Also, as I'm typing this, the letters are very spaced out (almost like an extra space between some of them) and some are super close together. The smileys look off too, but I'm assuming that's because my font is squished so small. <-- those two Ls at the end of that word look like 1 L because they're smushed.

Oh, and I'm using IE... if that matters.
June 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
I am running into a few overlap issues in the User CP and a few other areas on the forums...

Screenshots: (Photobucket resizes down, if you need full screen or more info let me know.)

Main User CP page:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../screeshot.jpg

PM page:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...creenshot4.jpg

Edit Subscriptions page:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...creenshot3.jpg

FAQ Page:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...creenshot2.jpg

It also does it when editing my signature, but that is almost expected as the signature width is all the space you've got and the preview is too wide once put beside the CP menu.

I'm using FF on Windows, with plenty of resolution (1680 x 1050).
We are working on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
I've been using beta all day, and in the past couple of hours have run into problems.

When I first switched over, the font was still regular size. Now it's teeny tiny and I can barely read it.
Sometimes the words get all smushed together to where it just looks like a dot, and I have to scroll down and back up to get them to "fix" so I can read it.

Also, as I'm typing this, the letters are very spaced out (almost like an extra space between some of them) and some are super close together. The smileys look off too, but I'm assuming that's because my font is squished so small. <-- those two Ls at the end of that word look like 1 L because they're smushed.

Oh, and I'm using IE... if that matters.
We are having some issues with the fonts showing up tiny in IE. We are working on this as well.

June 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
sunshyne57's Avatar ~Angela~
I agree with some of the other ladies. I don't like how much space the ads to the right take up. Maybe they can be put at the very top and at the bottom instead of the side? I like the width of the classic view. Now its just really small and crammed. Other than that, I think it looks great!
June 20th, 2009, 05:45 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
We are having some issues with the fonts showing up tiny in IE. We are working on this as well.
I just wanted to say that it's working great now!!!
June 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne57 View Post
I agree with some of the other ladies. I don't like how much space the ads to the right take up. Maybe they can be put at the very top and at the bottom instead of the side? I like the width of the classic view. Now its just really small and crammed. Other than that, I think it looks great!
I agree that the ads take up too much space and that the actual area for our forums is too narrow now.

Also, when people "quote" other messages, the text is being cut-off midword. Check out post numbers 4, 10 & 22 in this topic: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f7...otw-jacob.html

Thanks!

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
June 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
I LOVE the colors and the new "look"! Absolutely adorable!

HOWEVER.....I, too, am extremely disappointed in all the ads and top stories down the right hand side of the page making the boards SO MUCH smaller. I don't like feeling like these things are being crammed down my throat when I come to visit my boards. Sorry, that's just my opinion and the opinion of many of the girls on the board I host also.

June 20th, 2009, 08:45 AM
~Sandy~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My question is will we be able to maybe switch between Classic view and the new view once it goes live? I haven't really found any bugs, but I find the ads to the right very distracting and the size of the forum feels weird to me. I think it would be ok if it was so small but in the center of the screen, but off to the left makes my eyes hurt lol. That is just my personal feedback though.

I love the new colors though
June 20th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichelle77 View Post
I LOVE the colors and the new "look"! Absolutely adorable!

HOWEVER.....I, too, am extremely disappointed in all the ads and top stories down the right hand side of the page making the boards SO MUCH smaller. I don't like feeling like these things are being crammed down my throat when I come to visit my boards. Sorry, that's just my opinion and the opinion of many of the girls on the board I host also.
I think that everyone is just not quite used to the new format. I think most of the bigger sites are formatted closer to how we are now. I actually like the smaller space because instead of a paragraph looking like one line of text it looks like a paragraph.

We have a lot of great content and wanted to make it more easy for forum members to find it. I love having the top stories and news on the forums. Then I don't have to go back to the home page. I also think having the pregnancy newsletter located on the forums makes it easier for new members to find and sign up.

I know it is an adjustment but I think once you get used to it you will enjoy all the new features. We really needed to do an overhaul on the site. Most of the site was being manually updated and so we really had to address that. Now it is all dynamic and much more manageable.

I know that each time we have updated the site people initially had issues with it but then later down the road they got so used to it they couldn't imagine it the way it was before. Give it time.

We got a lot of member feedback when we designed the site. I personally think the colors and layout is fab but of course I am probably a little biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy™ View Post
My question is will we be able to maybe switch between Classic view and the new view once it goes live? I haven't really found any bugs, but I find the ads to the right very distracting and the size of the forum feels weird to me. I think it would be ok if it was so small but in the center of the screen, but off to the left makes my eyes hurt lol. That is just my personal feedback though.

I love the new colors though
Once we make the switch to the new design, you will no longer have the Classic view option. I think it just takes a little getting used to.

June 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
I also think having the pregnancy newsletter located on the forums makes it easier for new members to find and sign up.
At the risk of sounding argumentative..... This is actually, honestly, one of the things that bothers *me* MOST. I come to JM for support and comfort while enduring infertility (10 YEARS of secondary infertility for me) and TTCw/MA. It's kinda like going to my OB/GYN's office and being faced with oodles and gobs of pregnancy magazines. I just think it would be nice if there was some way to be senstive to ALL of the members. (Keeping in mind there are SEVERAL boards related to infant loss, miscarriage, infertility, stillbirth, etc etc etc.)

I currently enjoy being able to go DIRECTLY to the boards I frequent (I have them bookmarked) and not be *forced* to stare at diaper ads and article links about potty training and being a SAHM.

I'm sorry......I am probably more affected and hormonal about it right now as I am getting ready to face, most likely, yet ANOTHER BFN in a few days.

June 20th, 2009, 09:50 AM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I absolutely love it! The classic version is very wide and in my opinion, too stretched out.

I have one suggestion though, is there any way that we could have the ability to bookmark certain forums? I visit several forums (April 08 PR, October DDC, Cesarean Mommies, Progressive Mommies, Closely Spaced Siblings, Traditional Parenting.. a lot!) and I would really love to have the ability to have them all easily accessible. I think overall it would increase readership of the forums, especially the ones at the bottom of the page as they are often forgot about about not visited as frequently. Please get back to me as I am very interested in this possibility.
June 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We are listening to what everyone has to say. We may not be able to come up with solutions to make everybody happy but we do try to take everyone's thoughts into consideration. Thanks so much for sharing your input with us.

We are still working on some bugs so bear with us. When we go live with the beta version we should have all the bugs worked out.

June 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Sarah - I do this all the time. When you visit a forum, in the top left I believe it's called Forum Tools, you can click and choose Subscribe to Forum. Select No Email (or whatever you want, I do no email), and click through ... all your subscribed forums will appear in a list in the main page of your User CP.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
June 20th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Delsol's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I understand the purpose of any 'free' forum is to generate ad space, and this is how revenue is generated, but the new layout with half the screen taken up by advertisements is simply too imposing - and nearly irritating. I am not certain I would continue visiting as often if forced to look at that.

June 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Mama Melissa's Avatar Bienvenue ŕ Canada
I am a long time JM user, gosh I love this place so much - I think the colors are awesome, but it is quite difficult for me to read the forums without being distracted by the ads and articles on the right hand side, it bothered me so much that after 20 minutes of trying it out, I had to switch back.

June 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichelle77 View Post
At the risk of sounding argumentative..... This is actually, honestly, one of the things that bothers *me* MOST. I come to JM for support and comfort while enduring infertility (10 YEARS of secondary infertility for me) and TTCw/MA. It's kinda like going to my OB/GYN's office and being faced with oodles and gobs of pregnancy magazines. I just think it would be nice if there was some way to be senstive to ALL of the members. (Keeping in mind there are SEVERAL boards related to infant loss, miscarriage, infertility, stillbirth, etc etc etc.)

I currently enjoy being able to go DIRECTLY to the boards I frequent (I have them bookmarked) and not be *forced* to stare at diaper ads and article links about potty training and being a SAHM.
This is a very good point. Is there any way to vary the content advertised on certain boards? For example, the pregnancy newsletter would be best plugged on the DDCs and pregnancy boards but kept away from loss boards, where as some other resources might be more appropriate on those.

Also, for various boards based around lifestyle, entertainment, beauty and home I am certain there are articles on JM that would be really useful to advertise on those. I don't know what the software or the way the ads have been set up would allow but perhaps targetting certain features to certain boards would bring about further interaction between the main JM site and the boards by linking to topic-appropriate content?

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

June 21st, 2009, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty_X View Post
This is a very good point. Is there any way to vary the content advertised on certain boards? For example, the pregnancy newsletter would be best plugged on the DDCs and pregnancy boards but kept away from loss boards, where as some other resources might be more appropriate on those.

Also, for various boards based around lifestyle, entertainment, beauty and home I am certain there are articles on JM that would be really useful to advertise on those. I don't know what the software or the way the ads have been set up would allow but perhaps targetting certain features to certain boards would bring about further interaction between the main JM site and the boards by linking to topic-appropriate content?
I don't know how difficult this would be to implement. I will have to find out. I am trying to collect everyone's feedback though and understand what you are saying.

June 21st, 2009, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Melissa View Post
I am a long time JM user, gosh I love this place so much - I think the colors are awesome, but it is quite difficult for me to read the forums without being distracted by the ads and articles on the right hand side, it bothered me so much that after 20 minutes of trying it out, I had to switch back.
I really think this is just because you are not used to it. If you had joined JM with this layout it wouldn't be such a change. I like the narrower format better myself but I do understand it is a big adjustment.

Just to put things in perspective I went cruising the internet and pretty much every large parenting/mom site had a layout that was similar to ours.

Part of the reasons for the redesign was to make the site more dynamic and also more manageable. In a previous post I mentioned that much of the site is updated manually so the redesign will greatly improve the overall site. Since it is dynamic there won't be broken links and other human error issues. It will allow us to do so much more with the site and make it much easier to update.

June 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is there anyway to remove and put the advertisements in a different place to stop distraction.

June 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been using the Beta to try & get used to it......my 2 complaints so far:

1. The narrow forum size. Everything is just too crammed now.

2. It is soooo slow to load using my cell phone (and I even have it set to not download images). It also keeps logging me out & when I log back in, it takes me to the main JM page.....but as soon as I click the link to go to the boards, it logs me back out again. (all on my cell....Palm Treo smartphone).

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search