Beta issues and feedback UPDATE post #47

Need Help Navigating JM?

Post here if you need help with anything at JustMommies. If you are having problems registering at JustMommies please contact us at boards@justmommies.com

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Need Help Navigating JM? LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichelle77 View Post
I LOVE the colors and the new "look"! Absolutely adorable!

HOWEVER.....I, too, am extremely disappointed in all the ads and top stories down the right hand side of the page making the boards SO MUCH smaller. I don't like feeling like these things are being crammed down my throat when I come to visit my boards. Sorry, that's just my opinion and the opinion of many of the girls on the board I host also.
Ditto! I understand there will be ads, but when they are crammed on the side of the same page as when you open the threads in the forums to read, it's a bit much. I am on many other message boards and non have gone to that format yet. I hope they don't as I will not be able to tolerate the messages being all squished up to one side of the page with those big distracting advertizing all over the right side of the page.

The new design looks great, reducing the forums 1/3 of the size is not great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsol View Post
I understand the purpose of any 'free' forum is to generate ad space, and this is how revenue is generated, but the new layout with half the screen taken up by advertisements is simply too imposing - and nearly irritating. I am not certain I would continue visiting as often if forced to look at that.
Yes, it would limit my patience on this site as well. At least we still have Facebook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Melissa View Post
I am a long time JM user, gosh I love this place so much - I think the colors are awesome, but it is quite difficult for me to read the forums without being distracted by the ads and articles on the right hand side, it bothered me so much that after 20 minutes of trying it out, I had to switch back.
See, there are so many of us saying this and so many more talking about it on the individual boards that are not posting here, please reconsider the ads on the side of the forums pages. At the top or bottom is fine, but you are squishing up the main reason we are here, which is to talk to other mommies!

June 23rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverla View Post
Rachel, I think it's the sister site links that people are calling "ads". I understand your need to have them and all. I think the objection is more to do with them being so in your face and squishing up the bit you actually want to read. To be honest, the more I look at it, the less I mind, so maybe getting used to it will help, though I do think it may shift the atmosphere a little bit.
I see and actually just to clarify those will eventually be sponsor ads. I was under the impression that they were just for our sister sites, but I was mistaken.
June 23rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post

I believe this has been fixed. Can you try clearing your cookies and cache, closing out your browser and then try to log in again.
Nope, still does not work for me. I cleared my cache and cookies and still cannot log in using the beta version. Tells me my info isn't correct or whatever it says. I have to switch to classic, log in and then go to beta still

I'm using firefox if it helps you - and I'm on a MacBook.

June 24th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I still can't log in and post over there either. I have cleared my cookies and cache again and it's not having it. I'm on IE8 on Microsoft Vista.

June 24th, 2009, 06:38 AM
jaydensmom0327's Avatar Jaydensmom
Send a message via MSN to jaydensmom0327 Send a message via Yahoo to jaydensmom0327
i like the look but i dont like the threads being squished for ads make them smaller and it will be ok

also i just seen this

see what i mean

Last edited by jaydensmom0327; June 24th, 2009 at 06:58 AM.
June 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika♥Chris♥Lexi View Post
Nope, still does not work for me. I cleared my cache and cookies and still cannot log in using the beta version. Tells me my info isn't correct or whatever it says. I have to switch to classic, log in and then go to beta still

I'm using firefox if it helps you - and I'm on a MacBook.
I'm having this problem to, started yesterday & continues today. It won't let me log in (and I have set to remember me), once I switch to classic - I can log in & switch back to the beta. I'm also using firefox.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
June 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Momma2My Lil Js's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momma2My Lil Js
The ads are annoying but since I switched to beta again last night to give it another try, I am sorta getting used to them. I just wish there was a wider width available to those of us with larger screens and resolutions. It looks like 2 inches of blue empty wasted space on each side.

June 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its going to be great!
June 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Are the login issues going to be fixed for the switch?

June 25th, 2009, 06:22 AM
^ I was wondering the same because I wouldn't be able to log in.....

June 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM
My co-host wouldn't be able to either if it won't be fixed. I will try mine again tonight and see if it works. I should hope the switch would not be made if a lot of people can't actually use the beta version...that seems crazy.

June 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Patty-
I tried a different browser (safari, I usually use firefox) and still can't log in using the beta. I still need to log in with classic.. and then switch to beta. Doesn't matter what browser I use, it doesn't work for me on any of them. Cookies and cache have been cleared many times

June 25th, 2009, 03:46 PM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Any update on the log in problems? I am worried since the switch is near that I'll be shut out once Classic is gone

June 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~~Sara~~~ View Post
Any update on the log in problems? I am worried since the switch is near that I'll be shut out once Classic is gone
We are not going to be getting rid of the classic version until the log in issues are resolved. Hang in there. We are working very hard to get this fixed!

June 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your hard work.

June 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
We are not going to be getting rid of the classic version until the log in issues are resolved. Hang in there. We are working very hard to get this fixed!
Phew! LOL

June 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is the point of a message board, when it's consumed by ads? I understand needing the revenue, but seriously - they're taking up about 40% of the content view width. To make it all worse, despite having High res and a wide screen - the silly programmer set the forum area to static width, so it doesn't automatically stretch for higher res. It's absolutely horrible. less than 1/2 of my available screen is actual message board.

June 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rachel~ View Post
I don't like it. How do I switch back to the original?

Unless I use the Firefox browser, I can only read the message boards- can't reply to anything, can't view my private messages, can't see any signatures or avatars.

And what is up with the overlapping ads?!? It's bad enough that the space for the message boards is so tiny now, but now I can only see half of what is there sometimes because the ads cover it up! I was always under the impression that the message boards at Justmommies were the thing that people came here for. Now it seems like the message boards are an afterthought.

Oh well, at least it's still free.
There have been several posts about the log in issues and the ads overlapping. We are working on getting these fixed ASAP. We still have the Classic option right now so if you are having issues with logging in or out or having problems with ads overlapping certain pages, can you switch your option back to the Classic option for now. We hope to have this fixed very soon.

Thanks for your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat View Post
What is the point of a message board, when it's consumed by ads? I understand needing the revenue, but seriously - they're taking up about 40% of the content view width. To make it all worse, despite having High res and a wide screen - the silly programmer set the forum area to static width, so it doesn't automatically stretch for higher res. It's absolutely horrible. less than 1/2 of my available screen is actual message board.
We are working on a variable width option for everyone right now which will help with the gals that have larger monitors. If you see post #47 I explained everything there. For now, everyone still has the option to use the Classic version. If you go to the drop down menu at the very bottom of the boards you can switch to the Classic version.

June 25th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HarpersGirl
Other than the width which I think has been spoken about enough....

I'm having troubles with my Quick Reply. When I type out a sentence, and look back to correct something, I cannot click the word and start typing because it deletes everything Ive written. Insted of just adding a letter to a word, it actually deletes the next letter in replacement of the one I am typing. I have to hit enter, finish my edited word, and then delete the spaces to bring the rest of my sentence back... anyway to fix this?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search