Religious Debate- Spirituality Forums

Need Help Navigating JM?

Post here if you need help with anything at JustMommies. If you are having problems registering at JustMommies please contact us at boards@justmommies.com

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Need Help Navigating JM? LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2005, 08:36 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
As Justmommies has grown we have had more interest in adding different spirituality boards as well as a Religious Debate board. We already have one discussion on here about adding LDS or Catholic Parenting forums. We would like to know which forums you would be most interested in adding.

We plan to add a subforum to the Heated Debates board for Religious Debate. We would like the Spirituality forums to be for support and encouragement and not debate.

We want to know which other Religious forums you would be interested in.

Catholic Parenting and LDS Parenting have already been suggested we just need to know how many would be interested in that. We also need to know about other religious forums such as Pagan/Wiccan, Muslim, Buddhist, etc. If you have any religious forums you would be interested in seeing here please let us know.

We also need to know if you would actually post on them. Although we are very open to adding any religious forum we don't want to add a board that will not be posted on.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 4th, 2005, 09:09 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally posted by DynamiteLotus@Aug 4 2005, 10:52 AM
I think this is a wonderful idea and think my input is best illustrated like this, having the third tier built as needed:

I'm very interested in seeing the Christian religion represented because those are the teachings that I personally follow, Baptist (Southern Baptist).* I would post a great deal there.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I appreciate your input, but I think adding seperate subforums to the General Spirituality board will lead to further debates as well as taking away from the purpose of the board. My preference would be to set up complete seperate forums for different religions, but perhaps grouping seperate denominations of a same religion group within subfolders. I do not think Catholic and LDS will fit as a subforum of Christianity. Knowing enough about both faiths, the belief systems are different from protestant Christian beliefs. I think they would need seperate forums. We are just looking to see if there is enough interest for this. As of now everyone has kind of been grouped together.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
August 4th, 2005, 09:27 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally posted by DynamiteLotus@Aug 4 2005, 11:17 AM
My second tier was the division of the religions that hopefully would keep seperate.* I put the Catholic denomination into the Christian religion because, to my understanding, Catholics believe in the same way souls go to Heaven.* I don't know this for a fact because I am not Catholic and have not done a great deal of study.* We have a devoted Catholic friend and his understanding of going to Heaven is the same as ours.

But besides the point, would it make more sense to just skip the dividing of religions and just go with seperate forums for different denominations?* Like having forums for Baptists, Catholics, Buddhists, etc...?
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

That could be done as well if there was enough interest. Any forum can be created if there is enough interest. I guess right now our thinking is having a Religious debate board added to our debate board, a Christian parenting board, a Catholic parenting board, and an LDS parenting board and add other religions as we see the need.

Teresa

August 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
We are catholic, and I am newly converted and I think it is a great idea. I think it would be someplace for me to turn to ask questions about Catholism or anything about Baptism, etc.

I think that keeping the different religion boards seperate would be the best idea, since just because some things are taught the same way, that there are other things that aren't. Also these rooms could have areas (maybe a sticky) to answer FAQ that people have about different things in each Church (i.e. differences in communion, baptism, questions about the Pope, etc) I think that some of the other forum titles Erin brought up are a good idea (i.e. Prayer room, etc)

Hope that helps.

Christina

P.S. I have the Caticism (sp) of the Catholic faith and a few other books that provide answers to questions like the ones I pointed out above, and would be happy to do the sticky post for the FAQ for that board. Just let me know if you need my help!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

August 4th, 2005, 09:55 AM
idachick's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to idachick
I posted on the other topic about the different (new) religious forums, but I thought I'd post over here to let you know that I REALLY am interested .
I know there are quite a few LDS (mormon) members on this site (myself included) and I don't know about the other people, but I would really like (and would really participate/post) on a LDS subforum. Everyone here at JM is really nice and all, but not everybody speaks the 'lingo' (i.e. when I say Sunbeam in Primary, LDS people know instantly, but its greek to everyone else).
I moved from Idaho (majority LDS) to Virginia (LDS population VERY small) a year ago and even though there are other LDS people here where I live, they haven't exactly been the most friendly. I think if I could post on a board with other LDS members, it would really help me (and my feelings of homesickness ) Just my personal thoughts here.

Thanks for the great idea!!! You have no idea how excited I was to even see the possibility mentioned!!!

August 4th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I personally enjoy having a common board for general spirituality since we can all learn from each other and not everyone is quite sure what relgious path is right for them. But at times, debates can be sparked and so having a religious debate board is also a great idea.
I think maybe having a poll over at the spirituality board (for traffic purposes) to see if there is interest in having other faiths represented with a board might be a good way to find out if more boards are needed.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 4th, 2005, 12:54 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
The poll is a good idea, but truth be told, I don't go into the spirituality boards, so for other people like me, they wouldn't be aware of this poll. Maybe the poll could be done there and posted on this board or on the Announcements board and we can go there and vote. That way, I think you would get a more truthful number of people interested and not just the people that look at that board regularly.

Christina

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

August 4th, 2005, 02:51 PM
sandycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sandycheeks
I am probably pentecostal, but really I'm not labeling myself. I am just a worker for God.

Aboute Religious debate boards, I think its a good idea to have it because we can ask questions about certain things in the bible that we dont understand and see everyones view on it. But I dont like the idea of fighting ya know. God doesn't want us fighting about religion or our beliefs, and if a lost person seen us fighting that might turn them away. But I think its a good idea to discuss what we think about different sins, and different parts of the bible and learn about different religions, I just hope no one gets offended or mad.

I'm pretty open minded about things, and I want to learn about all religions.
August 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would like to keep the general spirituality board as a place for all faiths to get together and learn from one another, but I would also like a Spitirtual Debate board too.
By the way, LDS (or Mormons) are Christians too.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

August 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would participate in a Catholic board, would help me learn more about my religion.

<div align="center"></div>

August 9th, 2005, 11:49 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
The religous debate subforum and the Catholic & LDS boards are up!

Teresa

August 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to point out... in case it makes any difference to how you set up the forums..
Catholics are just as much Christians as the Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, etc.
We believe that the only way to God and heaven is through Jesus Christ, our Savior.

hope that helps !

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search