John ''Jack''

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Regular
What does everyone think to John with the nickname Jack? John is a big family name for both mine and Edward's family and I have always loved it and Jack too.

I know they are both popular but that doesn't bother us at all.

John Isaiah ''Jack''?

Thanks!

</div>
November 19th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't like Jack much on its own, but I love it as a nickname for John. I love John Isaiah, too.
November 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like it as a nickname for John. My grandpas name is John, he didn't have a middle name... and while I'm not a fan of John, I had thought about using Jack as a way to honor him. However, we didn't have a boy
November 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Coach's Avatar Super Mommy
John Isaiah is lovely! Very handsome.

I love both John and jack, individually.

I don't understand the NN Jack for John. I use a NN usually to be a shorter varient of the full name. Jack and John are both one sound and 4 letters. I'd use just Jack if I was planning on calling him Jack more then John.

"I KNEW I BELONGED TO THE PUBLIC AND TO THE WORLD, NOT BECAUSE I WAS TALENTED OR EVEN BEAUTIFUL, BUT BECAUSE I HAD NEVER BELONGED TO ANYTHING OR ANYONE ELSE"---MARILYN MONROE
November 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
i LOVE John nn Jack. Very traditional.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

November 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I love Jack but I'm not a fan of John. I'd just use Jack if that's what I was going to call him all the time.

November 19th, 2008, 08:15 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I absolutely love the name Jack. It's in our top 5 boy names. And, I just had a friend tell me yesterday that if she finds out she's having a boy when she has her sono on 12/04, she's naming him Jack. Usually I prefer putting the longer/more-formal name on the birth certificate even if you plan to always call him by the nn (because the formal name looks more professional for job applications, college applications, college degrees, wedding invitations etc etc) but in the case of Jack and John, I'd just go with Jack myself.

But, John Isaiah is a nice combo!

November 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't understand the NN Jack for John. I use a NN usually to be a shorter varient of the full name. Jack and John are both one sound and 4 letters. I'd use just Jack if I was planning on calling him Jack more then John.[/b]
Jack as a nickname for John comes from the medieval diminutive suffix -kin. The name John became 'Jankin' which was shortened to 'Jack.' In those times, it was common for more than one member of the same family to have the same name, so nickname were used more to avoid confusion between, say, a father and son who were both named John or two cousins with the same name, than just to be "short for" a long name. So you had nicknames like Jack for John, Molly for Mary, Sally for Sarah, and Nan for Ann.

In the United States and other English-speaking countries, nicknames usually are short for longer names, but this is not always so in other cultures. My aunt's name is Anna, and her childhood nickname was Anouska.
November 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I love Jack but I'm not a fan of John. I'd just use Jack if that's what I was going to call him all the time.[/b]
I agree with this! If that's what you're going to call him, why not just name him Jack? Jack is such a great name!
November 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love the names Jack and Isaiah! I think Jack works as a nn for John just fine!

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

November 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I like it.. I am a big boring traditionalist though LOL

November 20th, 2008, 05:56 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Funny you should post this, I have a friend with a 1 year old named John who over the last few months they've started calling him Jack since it suits him and his personality better.

I LOVE the name Jack.
November 20th, 2008, 07:12 AM
MamaBx3
I love Jack .. I see nothing wrong with Jack Isaiah .. I have never understood the reasoning for Jack being the nn for John
November 20th, 2008, 08:01 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
Quote:
I love Jack but I'm not a fan of John. I'd just use Jack if that's what I was going to call him all the time.[/b]

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with this! If that's what you're going to call him, why not just name him Jack? Jack is such a great name!
[/b]

Quote:
I love Jack .. I see nothing wrong with Jack Isaiah .. I have never understood the reasoning for Jack being the nn for John [/b]

She said John is a family name, which is why they are using it.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

November 20th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know that traditionally Jack is a nickname for John... but I Love the name Jack and do not like John at all!
I would just go with jack if that's what you plan on calling him anyway.
November 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I know that traditionally Jack is a nickname for John... but I Love the name Jack and do not like John at all!
I would just go with jack if that's what you plan on calling him anyway.[/b]
I think it's better that he has the choice, so he can go by either Jack or John when he's an adult.

I never understand the reason for "just name him/her [nickname] if that's what you're going to call him/her." What if the kid doesn't like being called by a nickname anymore as an adult?
November 20th, 2008, 11:26 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
I love Jack

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

November 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
MaryLovesChocolate
I'm not incredibly fond of the name John. I love Jack, though.
November 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I would just go with jack if that's what you plan on calling him anyway.[/b]
I think it's better that he has the choice, so he can go by either Jack or John when he's an adult.

I never understand the reason for "just name him/her [nickname] if that's what you're going to call him/her." What if the kid doesn't like being called by a nickname anymore as an adult?
[/b]

But Jack isnt JUST a nickname. It is a name that can stand alone as a full name just fine. It is very different than giving a child an obvious nickname like Tommy instead of Thomas.
November 21st, 2008, 01:40 PM
GraceInTheCity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like John. But, love Jack.

« Selah | Baby Names | Rena »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search