Arguing over names (advice needed) :(

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2008, 02:02 AM
mtowcs09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mtowcs09
We don't even know the sex of the baby and I'm barely that far along but we've already started arguing over names. He knew before I even got pregnant that I would be naming a girl after my grandma and it coincidentally is also my first name. The name is Margaret, well with that in mind if it was a girl I would call her by her middle name and use a pretty middle name. It's how my name works AND s/o's so I didn't see the big deal.

Well out of no where he tells me he wants to use 'Ann' because it's his mother,sisters,and a family middle name. Ann also happens to be my grandma's middle name (they call her Margaret Anne) and I don't like that combo since it's too much of my grandma, I tried compromising saying that we could choose something that resembles Ann or we could make it a 2nd middle name like my s/o's name. I thought we had compromised on that and then I tell him that I don't really like Ann, but Anne. He throws a fit saying "it's not the same" and all I can think of is "really?!". I'm having to compromise to use this name I hate and even have bad associations with it and he won't let me add an E?! For me, Anne looks prettier than Ann and it's less plain.

Am I being wrong or stubborn? I just do NOT like that name and don't know how we can compromise. Since he's only a boyfriend I'm fearing adding the name Ann when I hate it and he can just leave at any point.

Any advice is welcomed. Sorry for this being so long.

December 3rd, 2008, 03:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to SK.
Id suggest you sit down & explain to him when your both in a calmer mood that you dislike the name Ann & list the reasons why. Ask again if he's willing to use Anne - its stil the name he wanted but can please you as well.
Explain to him you fear because he's only the boyfriend he could walk out at anytime & you'd be stuck with a name you dislike, but in his respect you also have to understand that this is his child as well & even if he leaves you he may not disown his child.

How about some names that have the name Ann(e) in to use as a compromise?
- you can change the spelling to what suits you.

Annie
Anna
Annabel
Annabella
Annaliese
Anneka
Anneliese
Annette
Annie

Anastasia
Anaya
Andrea
Andreanna
Angela
Angelina
Angelica
Anita
Ansley
Anthea
Anwen

Names with Ann(e) in them;
Abrianna
Alannah
Audrianna
Breann(e)
Breanna
Brianne
Brianna
Cheyanne
Chrisanna
Dannielle
Deanna
Deanne
Diane
Gianna
Hannah
Joanna
Joanne
Jordanna
Julianna
Leanne
Leanna
Rayanne
Roxanne
Roxanna
Rhianna
Rhianne
Roseanna
Roseanne
Savannah
Shannon
Shayanne
Susannah
Susanne
Tatianna
Tianna

December 3rd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Quote:
FWIW Anne does look prettier and more complete than Ann. So I agree with you there.

As far as the arguing I would just drop it for now until you find out the gender of the baby. You may be having a boy so it could be just alot of wasted energy.

And if you are having a girl letting some time go by could be good for him to atleast let you add an E to Ann lol.

So just enjoy your pg and worry about names when you know what you are having.

GL[/b]

December 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
mtowcs09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mtowcs09
Thanks ladies! We talked about it today when we were calm and he now understands where I was coming from and decided we didn't have to use it. Hopefully if it is a girl the middle name won't be that big of an issue like that name was lol.

December 4th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Cordelia's Avatar Veteran
As someone else suggested, why not use a longer form, like Annelise or Annabelle?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search