A few naming questions

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think its weird to name out of season? I like the names Autumn, Winter, Noelle, and April but I wonder if I name a child born out of those specific times will people think its weird? On the other hand if I name it appropriately is it too cutesy and matchy? What are your thoughts on this? Would you find it odd to meet someone named Noelle who was born in June or an Autumn born in Feburary? On the other hand what if you meet someone named April born in April would you feel their parents couldn't come up with a better name or were trying to be too cutsey?

Another question I have has more to deal with me. I like the names Violet, Rosalie, and Lilianna. My husband is actually receptive to both Rosalie and Lilianna but here is the thing, my name is Jasmine. I know its inevitable that both Rosalie and Lilianna will be shortened by others into Rose and Lily. Now with my name being Jasmine do you think its a bit cheesy that we are all flower names? I think it might be cute when they are little but when they are 15 are they going to think its the corniest thing ever? Out of the 3 names I listed I personally like Violet the best because for me I think of the color before the flower and I feel that with Violet I might be able to get away from the strong flower association or am I wrong? (my husband dislikes Violet because it makes him think of Violent he says) And lastly for Lilianna (Lily) is it completely out of the question because we live on Lily Lane? We won't live here forever (hopefully less then 5 years) but would you think its odd to hear a little girl say "My name is Lily and I live on Lily Lane?"

Thanks for the insight.
January 26th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Personally I can not stand names like Winter, Autumn, April, May, etc. It seems wrong to have a Winter born in the summer, but if he/she (I wouldnt even know which because it is a name of a season not a person) was born in winter I would think it is lame and corny.

I also think all being named flowers is a little predictable too.

But I dont have a problem with a Lily that lives on Lily Lane. I have never introduced myself as Dani that lives on *insert street name here*
January 26th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Veteran
My middle name is Noel and I was born in September and my brother's name is Winter and he was born in October, so I don't see a problem with it.

Mommy to two beautiful girls (5 & 3)
Expecting #3 in December

January 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't care for the month names like June, April, May etc. I have a grandma named Ollie May, everyone calls her June and she was born in June. The Autum, Noelle names I don't mind and I don't think it matters when you are born. How many adult people know when your birthday is? As for Lily, I wouldn't care if I lived on Lily Lane, you won't be there forever.

>
January 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I personally think its far to matchy to only use things in their season or time, because then it seems like you only used it because of the season/time.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

January 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I'm not a fan of season and month names myself. However, I do not think its too cutesy or matchy to name a kid Autumn if they were born in that season or April if they were born in that month. I think its perfectly fine to name a child a certain name because that name has significance surrounding the baby's conception and/or birth. (I've known of some people who've named kids after where the baby was conceived - Austin, Paris, etc... It's not something I would do; but it's nice for someone else.) My SIL's mom was due with her on Christmas Day, so they called her Holly (even though she was born 6 weeks early). I think that's cute and fitting. And, I wouldn't name a baby Noelle who wasn't born (or at least due) in December.

As far as the flower names, I think it's fine to go with Lilianna and Rosalie. It might be too cutesy to go directly with Lily and Rose....but those would just be their nicknames. And, for all you know Lilianna will prefer to go by Anna and Rosalie will want to go by Rosa/Rosie.

And, I think it's fine to name a baby Lilianna/Lily even if you live on Lily Lane for a little while.

I think it all comes down to personal preference. Lots of people on this forum like to have sibsets (their kids' names going together well in style) while others believe sibsets are matchy, cheesey, or whatever.
January 26th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
I like Season names but only if the child wasnt born in that season, i love Autumn but i wouldnt use if for a girl born in the fall, i like August but wouldn't name my son that if he was born in August

I do think so many flowers are a little on the cutesy side but since Rose and Lily wouldnt be their given names i think that you could pull this one off, i personally wouldnt but it is doable If at 15 they feel its corny they can go by their full names.

Violet kinda makes me think of violent too when i type it out i always check to make sure i didnt accidentally type violent its one of those names that makes me do the double take (like virginia)

I would laugh to myself if i met a little girl named Lily who told me she lived on Lily lane, id probably think the parents named her after the street, which fine enough i suppose, but since you dont plan to live their forever i wouldnt worry about it
January 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont like them if the child was born in that season.

Autumn born during the spring is nice. Autumn born in autumn makes me think her parents had a brain fart.

January 27th, 2009, 10:58 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I love the name Winter (but for a girl, not a boy), and I don't think it matters if that's when they were born or not.

As for flowers, I don't see anything wrong with "theme" names - and if your girls think it's lame when they're 15, they can demand to go by their full names.. or even their middle names or just a different nick name. Though it IS inevitable that there names will be shortened when they're little - my son's name is Luke, and for the last 16 months I've been telling my MIL almost daily how much I HATE it when she calls him Lukey - it sounds like loogey! But she won't stop. *shrug*

As for Violet.. I think of the kid from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.. which really isn't a better reference than "violent," hehe.

I don't think Lily Lane matters. If anything, if she wanders out the front door when she's four she can at least tell people where she's from.
January 27th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would rather see it opposite than matching.. if that makes sense.. Like April born in April would be kind generic you know?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search