How many middle names is too many?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Some people think that two is weird, some people think three is perfectly normal. How many middle names do you think is fine, and what's excessive?

Also, if you have a child with one middle name.. can the next one have three?
January 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it depends on why they have one, two, or three middle names. We do 2 middle names for family tradition. I would feel like im cheating one kid by giving him/her one, then the next child 2.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
January 27th, 2009, 09:42 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I'm REALLY not for more than 1 middle name.

January 27th, 2009, 09:43 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
I think it depends on why they have one, two, or three middle names. We do 2 middle names for family tradition. I would feel like im cheating one kid by giving him/her one, then the next child 2.[/b]
For me.. I want to name my her after a friend of mine, my husband wants to name her after a friend of his, and plus I like a third random name that he refuses to let me use as a first name. So if we did them all.. she'd end up as

Ariadne Morgan Clover Denise or
Madeline Morgan Clover Denise

I'm pretty sure that would be considered excessive, but I just can't choose one!
January 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me I can't imagine using more then one. I feel like the name becomes too much and also I wouldn't be sure what to write on forms for middle name/initial.

I do think though if the 1st kid has 2/3 middle names you have to continue with the trend. It would look weirder if one child had 2 middle names and the other only had 1. I feel that way when some kids have middle names in a family and others done have a middle name at all. I like symmetry in that respect.
January 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
I do think though if the 1st kid has 2/3 middle names you have to continue with the trend. It would look weirder if one child had 2 middle names and the other only had 1. I feel that way when some kids have middle names in a family and others done have a middle name at all. I like symmetry in that respect.[/b]
So if my son only has one middle name.. you would say the girl should only have one, as well?
January 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Yeah, I'd say if your son has only one middle name to go with one middle name for your daughter. Having one child with 1 mn and another with 3 mns, that really looks out of balance. But then, lots of people do not even like sibsets. So, go with whatever you're comfortable with.

But, the two names you gave are quite a mouthful, especially when you attach the last name to them. Also, I do not care for 3 names back to back with 2-syllables each. You could always save 2 of the names if you have another daughter.

January 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Yeah, I'd say if your son has only one middle name to go with one middle name for your daughter. Having one child with 1 mn and another with 3 mns, that really looks out of balance. But then, lots of people do not even like sibsets. So, go with whatever you're comfortable with.

But, the two names you gave are quite a mouthful, especially when you attach the last name to them. Also, I do not care for 3 names back to back with 2-syllables each. You could always save 2 of the names if you have another daughter.[/b]
Well, we're not planning on having another kid.. if we want a third we're going to adopt, and they already come with names. So this would be it. =/ You see my dilemma.. haha
January 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely prefer only one. TBH i've never even heard of more than one middle name..

January 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think any more than 2 is overkill. DS has only one but I have thought about giving the next one 2 middle names (if we can't agree). One the first middle name really goes on any paperwork, so it doesn't much matter. And it is a lot less confusing than not having a middle name at all.

>
January 27th, 2009, 11:50 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
We're doing two because its a family tradition on DH's side. I prefer one and definitely think that if your first has one, they all have one.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

January 27th, 2009, 11:52 AM
MamaBx3
I'm not a fan of more than 2 but honestly, Its what ever YOU want.

As for people not thinking it's right to give one child one middle name and the next one, two - they are individuals. They aren't suppose to match
My first dd has 1 middle name and my next two have two. I'll let you know in a few years if she feels cheated
January 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have 2 middle names and on official paperwork I use the first one.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
January 27th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to SK.
Me & DF have a rule, because we both have large families & because we have different taste in names we each pick a middle name we want & then have a first name that we both like.

Logan is Logan Ashley Gerald.
Ashley after my cousin, Gerald after DF's uncle & Logan because we both liked it.
Although he only gets called Logan Ashley.

We plan to do the same with future children, but thats just what suits us

Ive never seen the problem with 2 middle names, a friend of mine has 4 middle names - which is personaly to much in my opinion.

January 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Send a message via MSN to Hopingfor1soon Send a message via Yahoo to Hopingfor1soon
I really think it depends on your reasoning behind the names. I think any more than 2 middle names is excessive no matter the reason though. I think if you can choose 2 that honor people or have meaning behind them that is great, if not than maybe just choose 1 random name.

And as far as your son having 1 and the next having 2 middle names. I dont think it would ever be a problem or make them feel less important. I know a couple families where this is the case and there has never been an issue!! Good Luck though!!

January 27th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a friend with 9 middle names. I think her parents are weird.

January 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Quiet-storm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Quiet-storm Send a message via Yahoo to Quiet-storm
I think that three is alot. I have two middle names but I only use one. I have three other siblings and they all have only one middle name.
January 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I prefer one or two. I love two middle names but DH didn't go for that so we gave our daughter one.

January 27th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
one or two middle names is enough for me

both my sisters have 3 names one has a double first name the other has 2 middle names i only have a first and middle name i dont feel cheated the both my sisters drop one of the extra names anyways
January 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM
twingirls52905's Avatar loving my new baby boy
Send a message via Yahoo to twingirls52905
I say one or two max.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search