Pretentious baby names?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Pretentious:

1. characterized by assumption of dignity or importance.
2. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.
3. Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.

Do you think baby names can even BE pretentious? And what are some you think would be considered so? I suppose pretentious can be subbed out for snobby, also.
January 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't but pretentious is exactly the word my husband uses to describe the name Bianca...which I love but can't use because DH hates it.
January 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
~Valerie~
i don't think a name could be pretentious
January 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Regular
I do think they can be... like Channing, Preston before it became common, Carrington, Brockway. Y'know, Gillsford Flosswell Rudolph Vandermont the Seventh or something like that.
The whole 'OMG let's use surnames for girls!' trend strikes me as being pretentious, but that's just my opinion.

</div>
January 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
I dont think a name itself can be pretentious i think the name sounds more like it would belong to a person who would be pretentious, stuck up or snooty.
January 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Quiet-storm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Quiet-storm Send a message via Yahoo to Quiet-storm
Quote:
I dont think a name itself can be pretentious i think the name sounds more like it would belong to a person who would be pretentious, stuck up or snooty.[/b]
January 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I think a name is pretentious if the parents are using it just to try to give off a certain image. A lot of surnames as first names- the fancy-sounding preppy ones like Carrington and Preston and so on sound pretentious to me. Same with most surnames on girls before that became a major trend. Before they became popular, names like Ashley and Whitney were more common among upper-class people who had them as family names (and were more often used for boys...), so parents who wanted to be seen as upper class themselves used them. Of course, after getting more exposure, they became common and stopped being pretentious. Now if I hear about a kid named Kennedy I usually assume the parents used it because it's trendy right now and they just heard it somewhere and liked it, but if someone used it a decade ago, people might have thought they wanted people to think they were related to the Kennedys.
January 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Yes, I think a name is pretentious if the parents are using it just to try to give off a certain image. A lot of surnames as first names- the fancy-sounding preppy ones like Carrington and Preston and so on sound pretentious to me. Same with most surnames on girls before that became a major trend. Before they became popular, names like Ashley and Whitney were more common among upper-class people who had them as family names (and were more often used for boys...), so parents who wanted to be seen as upper class themselves used them. Of course, after getting more exposure, they became common and stopped being pretentious. Now if I hear about a kid named Kennedy I usually assume the parents used it because it's trendy right now and they just heard it somewhere and liked it, but if someone used it a decade ago, people might have thought they wanted people to think they were related to the Kennedys.[/b]
I agree with this.
January 29th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I_Run_with_Scissors
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I think a name is pretentious if the parents are using it just to try to give off a certain image. A lot of surnames as first names- the fancy-sounding preppy ones like Carrington and Preston and so on sound pretentious to me. Same with most surnames on girls before that became a major trend. Before they became popular, names like Ashley and Whitney were more common among upper-class people who had them as family names (and were more often used for boys...), so parents who wanted to be seen as upper class themselves used them. Of course, after getting more exposure, they became common and stopped being pretentious. Now if I hear about a kid named Kennedy I usually assume the parents used it because it's trendy right now and they just heard it somewhere and liked it, but if someone used it a decade ago, people might have thought they wanted people to think they were related to the Kennedys.[/b]
I agree with this.
[/b]
i still don't think that's the name itself being pretentious, that's the parents being pretentious. Pretentious is character trait, a name doesn't have a personality,the name does not feel it is entitled, and a name cant have a character trait, it can be a name associate with someone who would have that trait.
January 29th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a thing against Trevor for this reason..

January 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
If the parents make the name Pretentious, I was counting that as the same thing. If you name your daughter Gwyneth because you want her to seem more sophisticated than she probably ever will be.. then that makes the name pretentious.
January 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with this.
[/b]
Me too.

People -are- judged by their names. So just like there are tacky stripper names, frilly girly names, there are pretentious sounding names.

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
January 29th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I think certain names give off a pretentious vibe... I always thought Sebastian kind of sounded pretentious but probably because it reminds me of the Sebastian that Ryan Phillipe played in Cruel Intentions. Prescott is another name I think sounds pretentious.

January 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
Quote:
Quote:
I dont think a name itself can be pretentious i think the name sounds more like it would belong to a person who would be pretentious, stuck up or snooty.[/b]

[/b]
Me too. Preston is one of those names for me.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search