Log In Sign Up

Expecting a baby boy name ideas


Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
January 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Newbies
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
My husband and I are expecting a baby boy in March. We have been discussing names a lot but we want the baby to be named after a family member. My husband is a junior. His name is Eric Jr. but everyone calls him Ricky. We are thinking about naming the baby Eric III. My husband is gping to be away for the next month because he doing training for his job. Talking about baby names is on the back burner for awhile. I have heard of Trey and Tripp being used as nicknames for males who are the third. I haven't talked to my husband about this. Do any of have any Tripps or Treys or do you have your nicknames for juniors and thirds. I think calling the baby Eric would be ok but Trey or Tripp would sort of give him his own identity. Please share any input or experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
January 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 36,283
No personal experience here. But, I do have a friend who goes by Trey because he is a III. I never knew that Trey wasn't his real name until I knew him for about 5 years. His real first name is Ernest, kinda glad he goes by Trey

I, personally, wouldn't want to do a Jr., III, etc. It's just not my style. I'd give a child the father's name as a middle name, but I prefer each child to have their own first name. I totally understand where you're coming from though, and I think it's totally sweet that YOU are being so considerate and open to keeping a family name on his side of the family going. That ususally doesn't happen! It's ususally the husbands that want it, and the wives that don't.

Is your father in-law still living? Does he go by Eric? If so, would it be too confusing having two Erics in the family? I do prefer Eric over Trey, but if someone is already going by Eric, I prefer Trey.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
January 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
SK.'s Avatar
SK. SK. is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3,471
Send a message via MSN to SK.
I personaly wouldnt have a Jr, but thats just me for you, Id rather use Eric as a middle name.
If you were to use Eric as a first name Id deff use a nickname to call him by.
I quite like Trey being used.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #4  
January 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,309
Jr's and III aren't my thing either but thats just me. I never knew that III's go by Trey or Tripp though and I do think thats an adorable tradition. Have you thought of using Eric as a middle name rather than a first name? It might give you more options and also make it less confusing if the family.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
January 28th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Newbies
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Quote:
No personal experience here. But, I do have a friend who goes by Trey because he is a III. I never knew that Trey wasn't his real name until I knew him for about 5 years. His real first name is Ernest, kinda glad he goes by Trey

I, personally, wouldn't want to do a Jr., III, etc. It's just not my style. I'd give a child the father's name as a middle name, but I prefer each child to have their own first name. I totally understand where you're coming from though, and I think it's totally sweet that YOU are being so considerate and open to keeping a family name on his side of the family going. That ususally doesn't happen! It's ususally the husbands that want it, and the wives that don't.

Is your father in-law still living? Does he go by Eric? If so, would it be too confusing having two Erics in the family? I do prefer Eric over Trey, but if someone is already going by Eric, I prefer Trey.[/b]
I agree Trey is sort of better name than Ernest. When I first found out that I was pregnant we went over names for boys and girls. We decided to honor a family member or someone close for our first child. I had a close cousin named Brian who died 8 years ago and I suggested that and my husband was ok about it. We also thought about Steven which is my father's name or Isaac which is the name of an uncle he is close to. My husband also lost a cousin named Jennifer about 10 years ago. That was the only girl name we considered and my hubby said if was girl we could call her Jenny or Jenna. We spent a lot of time thinking about boy names and two days before Christmas we found out that I was having a boy. We annouced it at our family events and a few relatives asked if we were going to name the baby Eric. So the idea sort of grew on us and we discussed more and my husband said he would like to name the baby Eric. I'm ok with it because my husband and his father are wonderful men. We plan to have more children so if we have another boy I will suggest Brian again. My father in law is still living and he goes by Eric. I don't think it would be too confusing in the family because my husband goes by Rick or Ricky. I like Trey and I think Tripp sort of sounds unique.

Quote:
I personaly wouldnt have a Jr, but thats just me for you, Id rather use Eric as a middle name.
If you were to use Eric as a first name Id deff use a nickname to call him by.
I quite like Trey being used.[/b]

Quote:
Jr's and III aren't my thing either but thats just me. I never knew that III's go by Trey or Tripp though and I do think thats an adorable tradition. Have you thought of using Eric as a middle name rather than a first name? It might give you more options and also make it less confusing if the family.[/b]
We thought about using Eric as middle name before we found out we are having boy. We kept thinking of name combos for a boy. We thought about
Brian Eric
Isaac Eric
Steven Eric

We also thought about using my dad's name as middle
Brian Steven
Isaac Steven

I do like how the name Trey is used too. Tripp is starting to grow on me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
January 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 11,144
My ex is Miguel III and we used to argue about having a Miguel IV! I said absolutely not, you will have to have kids with someone else! And he did. He has a Miguel IV, they call him Quatro, or Q.

I like the idea of using his name as a middle name
__________________

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!


I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
January 28th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Quiet-storm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dadli
Posts: 1,952
Send a message via MSN to Quiet-storm Send a message via Yahoo to Quiet-storm
Jr's & III arent my thing. My boyfriend is a Jr. and he absolutely hate it. I'm another one who likes the idea of using his name as a middle name. I never knew that Jr's go by trey..But I think its cute though.
__________________
nessa
Hoping for my own miracle soon!
My Nephew TJ is finally here!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
January 28th, 2009, 08:37 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Guest
Posts: n/a
My DH's grandfather is named Donald, and DH's dad is Donald also. DH is Andrew Donald. When we first found out we were having a boy, I cringed at the idea of another Donald (I really REALLY didn't want to name my son after a duck with a severe speech impediment). Donald seemed to be the family tradition, so we changed the rules on the tradition.. we decided it wasn't the name Donald, but just naming the baby after dad! hehe
So my son became Luke Andrew. Tradition mostly followed, in-law naming crisis averted, and my son's name is Biblical and traditional, and has nothing to do with ducks.

Now that I told my story.. I was basically just saying that using Eric as a middle name would probably work just as well. I've never had a real desire to have a Jr., but if was super important to my husband then I'd go along with it. If it's important to your husband to pass the name to a third, and you're not opposed, you may as well do it.

Plus, I really love the name Eric.

You could also skip the Jr. and give him a different middle name of your choice and just call him that. I think Eric Steven sounds nice. =)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
January 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,601
If you really want to go with Eric for a first name, I'd give him a middle name you really love and call him by his middle name. (I'm not a fan of Trey or Tripp.)

__________________
Thank-you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
January 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Newbies
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Quote:
My DH's grandfather is named Donald, and DH's dad is Donald also. DH is Andrew Donald. When we first found out we were having a boy, I cringed at the idea of another Donald (I really REALLY didn't want to name my son after a duck with a severe speech impediment). Donald seemed to be the family tradition, so we changed the rules on the tradition.. we decided it wasn't the name Donald, but just naming the baby after dad! hehe
So my son became Luke Andrew. Tradition mostly followed, in-law naming crisis averted, and my son's name is Biblical and traditional, and has nothing to do with ducks.

Now that I told my story.. I was basically just saying that using Eric as a middle name would probably work just as well. I've never had a real desire to have a Jr., but if was super important to my husband then I'd go along with it. If it's important to your husband to pass the name to a third, and you're not opposed, you may as well do it.

Plus, I really love the name Eric.

You could also skip the Jr. and give him a different middle name of your choice and just call him that. I think Eric Steven sounds nice. =)[/b]
I really like the name Eric too and I think it wouldn't be too confusing with three Erics in the family. When my husband was little his family started calling him Ricky or Rick. He goes by that with family and most friends. My FIL goes by Eric and I don't think there would be too much confusion between him and my son. My husband left for his training on Saturday and we talked about it and it does seem important that his name tradition carries on. I'm not really opposed because we plan to have more or adopt children. I think for our next child I will keep Brian in my mind for a boy and Jennifer for a girl.
Quote:
If you really want to go with Eric for a first name, I'd give him a middle name you really love and call him by his middle name. (I'm not a fan of Trey or Tripp.)[/b]
My husbandand his father have the same middle name which is William. I do like that name and maybe calling the baby Will or Billy could be another option.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
January 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM
~Valerie~
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
If you really want to go with Eric for a first name, I'd give him a middle name you really love and call him by his middle name. (I'm not a fan of Trey or Tripp.)[/b]

Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0