Would you...

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to SK.
Would you use a name that BOTH you & your SO have loved for 2 years & despite trying to settle on other names always go back to that one?

Even if it was a rare name that hadnt been in the top 1000 for pushing 50 years & youve had negitive reviews for?

Im not going to post the name as I have before & gotten bad reviews, but I more wanted your thoughts on the questions above.

February 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that if you BOTH love it, and you always come back to it, I would probably go for it. I actually avoid names that are on the top 100. I would take your family and friends opinions, if you have asked, into consideration.

Half of the people liked Greysons name when we were deciding, and half hated it. The girls name was the same. I dont really care about the negative feed back. = ) I mean, I asked because I do want to know what peoples opinions are but they were never enough to sway my own opinion.

I am so curious about the name now....

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
February 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I'm pretty sure I know which name you're talking about I"m not a fan, but if you like it, USE IT!!!! It is your child and once its their name, everyone will love it for them. If thats the name for you, please use it

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

February 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
hettyhoo's Avatar Mom to Ty & Grae
If you keep coming back it then I would say that might be the one.
When I named my daughter Grae, I got all kinds of flack from my family, but I just knew it fit and after she was born everyone agreed.

Now I wanna know what the name is too...lol

February 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you keep coming back to it, use it. It doesn't really matter who does or doesn't like it. It is your child. Go for it!!

>
February 2nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
Honestly it doesnt matter what we think or what anyone else thinks, if you and your SO love it and you keep coming back to then you should absolutely use it.

I think i know what name your talking about but i still think you need to tell us LOL
February 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you guys both love this name, and if you both keep coming back to it... I think that is a HUGE sign! Use it. I think you'll be disappointed if you don't.
February 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its more important to pick a name that would be good for the child than picking a name you both love because when it comes down to it - it's not your name. It's your childs name. There are a lot of names that both DH and I love but we know aren't realistically good first names for children. They are GP's - Guilty Pleasures. I would use them in the MN spot though, for sure. So if you can honestly see a child/teen/adult loving the name, use it. If you think its something a child/teenager/grown woman would hate to be named... don't use it.

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
February 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Quiet-storm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Quiet-storm Send a message via Yahoo to Quiet-storm
I'd use it. When it comes to names everyone has an opinion. But if you feel like she's a _______ name her that. Do the people in RL feel the same way about the name? I really want to know though lol
February 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd definitely use it. Most of the names I like best other people don't like. But it's me and DH whose opinion really matter, so that's all I care about!

And the fact that it's a rare name would make it even more appealing to me!
February 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
I think its more important to pick a name that would be good for the child than picking a name you both love because when it comes down to it - it's not your name. It's your childs name. There are a lot of names that both DH and I love but we know aren't realistically good first names for children. They are GP's - Guilty Pleasures. I would use them in the MN spot though, for sure. So if you can honestly see a child/teen/adult loving the name, use it. If you think its something a child/teenager/grown woman would hate to be named... don't use it.[/b]
I agree with this, except I'd like to add if she hates it she can legally change it later anyways.
February 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
I would use it if you love it. You can always come up with a nickname later if you feel the need.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

February 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I think its more important to pick a name that would be good for the child than picking a name you both love because when it comes down to it - it's not your name. It's your childs name. There are a lot of names that both DH and I love but we know aren't realistically good first names for children. They are GP's - Guilty Pleasures. I would use them in the MN spot though, for sure. So if you can honestly see a child/teen/adult loving the name, use it. If you think its something a child/teenager/grown woman would hate to be named... don't use it.[/b]
I agree with this, except I'd like to add if she hates it she can legally change it later anyways.
[/b]

Thats true, but coming from someone who hates her name....changing your first name would be weird >.< I've been thinking about it, but my whole life I've been Tanya...it would be sooo weird to just change it one day, you know?

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
February 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to SK.
Thanks for all your replies

I worry the name wouldnt worry amazingly for a baby but as an adult to be honest I dont see that it would be to much of a problem, we have a nickname picked out we like for it. DF can picture it easily on any age.

I think were pretty much set on the name, no matter how much we try to stay away from it we keep going back to it & its been that way for 2 years so I think maybe its a sign that were meantt to use it

February 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
~Valerie~
If you both like it and keep going back to it, I say go for it
February 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I could care less what other people think. If I love a name I'm going to use it, so yes

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

February 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Wednesday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Coming from someone whose child is named something people often hate, I would say go for it. If your kid ends up hating their name later on, it will have very little to do with how unique it is. I hate my name (Amanda) and wish that my folks had stuck with what they had orginally planned on naming me (Fair/Fayre), but they were too worried about what others would think.

February 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had Laylah's name picked out when I was pregnant with Lucas. When we got pregnant with her, we looked through other names, but always came back to Laylah.

If the two of you love the name, use it.

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

February 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Quote:
I'm one of the few that agrees with this. When picking out a name, I think parents should not only think of a name that they love, but how others will perceive that child when he/she is applying to a job, to college, for a scholarship, etc... So, instead of asking people "do you like/love/hate this name?", maybe you could ask, "how would you perceive a child/adult with this name?" What characteristics are important to you for your child to be perceived as? Smart? Strong? Elegant? Funny? Rich? Earthy? Then, will people perceive your child as having those characteristics with the name you're giving her?

And yeah, a kid can change her name when she is an adult; but after she has gone by one name for 18 years, it's not easy to get everyone calling her a new name.
February 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I'd use the name as long as you wouldn't mind being named that yourself.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search