Nicknames

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm sure everyone knows by this point how much I'm not a fan of nick names. I really prefer to name the child what you're going to call them. I do get the professional aspect of names, and I've since lightened my stand on names that are obvious nick names, like Alex and Lexi. But the name can stand on it's own, I personally prefer that it does. If I want to call my daughter Bella, I'd name her Bella, not Isabelle.

That being said, I actually LOVE nick names that aren't based on the actual name - for instance, my son is Luke and we often call him Bubba. Or calling the youngest kid in the family Rookie. Or naming your daughter Allison Celeste Edison and calling her Ace. THOSE nick names I actually like.

What's your take on nick names?
July 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I don't mind them one way or another...I do agree that if you know 100% that you want to call your daughter Bella, name her Bella, not Isabella...just seems pointless. That being said, if there is a family name that you MUST carry on despite the fact that you don't like the name, I completely understand (ie: not a fan of great gpa Theodore's name but carry it on planning to call your son Theo). I like creative nns though...my nn growing up was TJ which is my first and middle initials. I prefer something more creative such as the Ace reference or even using a middle name that's kind of a stretch (Maddox=Max, Anders=Ace, Brittany=Bree)
July 9th, 2009, 12:13 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I disagree in terms of the nicknames, but thats just my personal taste. For example, one of my top boys names is Theo, but I would name him Theodore, just so he has a more professional name for show. I think so many of the names given today are unsuitable for professional life and I really want to make sure my children have professional names, even if they only use it in their professional adult life. I don't think of a Lexi as a strong, independant business woman. I would call her Lexi and name her Alexandria. Just how I roll I think Kes and I are pretty much opposites in this opinion.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

July 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
*Hayley*
I completely agree with you, HOWEVER, we are naming our son Abram and we're already calling him Abe. With Cohen, I was deadset against any names that had nicknames, even for girls. I LOVE the name Madeline, but won't use it because I strongly dislike Maddy.
July 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
*Hayley*
double post

Last edited by *Hayley*; July 9th, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
July 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
*Hayley*
triple post

Last edited by *Hayley*; July 9th, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
July 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Well, what I meant by lightning my stance on names like Alex and Lexi, I meant those need more professional names.. so I'd name her Alexandria and call her Lexi. Well, *I'd* call her Alex.. lol
July 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I LOVE nicknames! I won't chose a name that doesn't have a possible nn. Of course that doesn't mean I don't like names that don't have any obvious nn's because I do, I just didn't choose to use them for my children.
July 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
I disagree in terms of the nicknames, but thats just my personal taste. For example, one of my top boys names is Theo, but I would name him Theodore, just so he has a more professional name for show. I think so many of the names given today are unsuitable for professional life and I really want to make sure my children have professional names, even if they only use it in their professional adult life. I don't think of a Lexi as a strong, independant business woman. I would call her Lexi and name her Alexandria. Just how I roll I think Kes and I are pretty much opposites in this opinion.
I agree.

July 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
I agree completely
July 10th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I have a different idea of what names sound too "nickname-y" than others. I think names like Sadie, Tessa, and Brielle can all stand alone. I haven't known any of those names being nicknames for longer names (even though they can be). Names like Lexi, Sam, Nick, Katie, etc.. are too informal to be used as a full name because they're mostly used as a nickname for a longer name.

I think a lot of names are youthful sounding and I might not use the name for that reason, but I wouldn't say it's because it's a "nickname" unless it was one of the names I listed above where they are usually a common nickname for a longer name.

I LOVE names with nicknames but I wouldn't use a name I didn't love just because I loved the nickname.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search