old-fashioned or not? + how common?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
when i mentioned the name Sylvia to my mother, she got kind of quiet, as if she didn't care for it, and then told me that it sounded very old-fashioned.
really?? i know it is more common in europe than the U.S., which is a small part of the appeal (the big part: it rolls off the tongue in the most lovely, beautiful way! )... but i would never have thought of it as old-fashioned.

what do you ladies think? i'm super-super-picky about names, and i'll use one that i like whether it's old or new, and no matter what anyone else thinks, including my mother~ but she just kind of puzzled me there, lol.

ALSO: it's important to me that my baby does NOT have a name that is particularly common for a girl (boys are trickier... may use my step-dad's middle name with my dad's first) of her generation. i chose my daughter, melissa's name, in 2006, knowing that it had passed it's prime. not too many 3-year-old Missys, these days. Though I did run into a young lady in the grocery store a couple months ago, who I overheard calling her toddler "Melissa". hehe. I had to talk to her~ she said the child was named after her sister, which sounds about right.

so, ANYway... does anyone know of any youngsters named Sylvia?
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
My sister's ex-MIL and SIL are both named Sylvia (the younger after the older obviously), but they're the only ones I know.
July 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
I know two women in their 60s and a woman in her 40s (the daughter of one of the older women) but no kids with that name
July 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
dont know any youngin's named Sylvia.. but i know quite a few Sylvias who are my age + a older.. every single one of them is Mexican

i dont like the name at all TBH lol (sorry!).. it just comes off to me as a mexican.. but like i siad, ive never known any other with this name who isnt mexican
July 9th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I only have known older women with the name Sylvia.

July 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my sister's name is Sylvia, I like it. its not as old fashioned as other names!

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

July 9th, 2009, 09:26 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
I only have known older women with the name Sylvia.
July 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
The popularity of names typically go in 4-generation cycles. So, our great-grandparents names sound cool to us (and are popular again right now), but to our parents those names sound "old" just like names that are popular during our grandparents generation sound "old" to us. So, do not be surprised if your mom does not like some of the names you like if they have been popular in the late-1800's/early-1900's.

For example, Dh and I love Lily but both of my parents have told us, it's an "old lady's" name (because Lillian - nn Lily, was popular in their grandparents generation). They don't seem to understand that it's quite popular among 0-5 year olds right now.

I think Sylvia is a nice alternative to the similiar but more popular Sophia. If Sophia, Lillian, Emma, Hannah, Sadie, Lucy, etc... can make such a comeback, why not Sylvia?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search