Would you...

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Would you allow your child to have a middle name that you don't really care for if it meant that your SO allowed you to have your favorite first name that he doesn't really care for? What if it's a middle name you hate? Would it make it worth it to have your perfect first name?
July 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a huge fan of Laylah's second mn Tonimae. It's growing on me now. It's always been an ok name for me. DH and I chose it to honor family on both sides. I don't regret it for a second. We don't have any "deal" though for next time. I wouldn't mind it though. LOL!

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

July 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would if I didn't absolutely hate the name he picked. In fact I wasn't crazy over Neil's MN, David, when DH first picked it. I let him use it because Neil was important to me and I knew David was important to him. It has grown on me since then though.

July 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM
M&RsMom's Avatar Mama to silly boys
Send a message via AIM to M&RsMom
It depends if it sounded ok with the first name. My oldest DS is Miles Paul....Paul is my DHs and FILs name so it was a family and not my first choice.

July 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I wouldn't use a name DH didn't care for no matter how much I loved it - it's his child too. But picking Ariadne Nicole was our compromise. I loved Ariadne, and he liked it enough.. he loved Nicole, and I liked it enough. Neither one of us disliked the other one's choice, though. Nicole is a nice name, just not really my thing.

Though I will add that if a name was important to DH (not just that he really liked it, but it had meaning), and I didn't like it.. I'd probably use it anyways. If he had insisted that Luke's middle name be Donald, I would have given it to him, even though I hate the name. (DH's middle name is Donald, and his father and grandfather are both Donald as well.)

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; July 15th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
July 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM
*Hayley*
i think we'd have to find some balance where we just liked both names instead of one of us hating one of the names.
July 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
MamaPickles's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaPickles Send a message via Yahoo to MamaPickles
I'm on the fence on this one. I can't say I'd want to use a fn if my dh really didn't like it and I can't say I'd want to use a mn that I hated it. On the other hand, I could see myself using a mn that was honoring someone that I didn't really care for. For example I don't care for the name Doris at ALL, but it's dh's grandmother's first name. So if dh really wanted to use it...I probably would...as a mn.

C + T since 10.16.2004

July 15th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I'd definitely consider doing a deal like that with my husband!! But when I really think about it, I don't think I'd want to use a name that he hated. I'd rather find a name that we both can like.

July 16th, 2009, 01:00 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I'd rather find a fn and mn we both like and can live with. But, if a particular first name was really important to me then I would probably let him use just about any mn within reason. If it was completely horrible, I'd consider other options for a fn so I wouldn't have to use the mn of his choice. Even if it's to honor a family member, I would try to find a variation of that name to use.
July 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Hmmm I think I would, in certain circumstances - like if my SO wanted to use a family name that was really NMS, as a m/n.... BUT all in all, I'd sooner find a first & middle name that we both liked

Last edited by Gaby&Emmy'sMama; July 16th, 2009 at 02:02 AM.
July 16th, 2009, 03:04 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I would if I was in LOVE with my first name choice. I think I have a couple in mind that I'd have to fight for pretty hard with DH, so I'd pretty much consider any mn he would want if it meant being able to use the name I love.

July 16th, 2009, 03:15 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Yes if it went well

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
July 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
Nope, I couldn't do it. When we named Alexis, it was REALLY important to me that we BOTH loved her name 100%.. first AND middle. I wouldn't settle for something I didnt like, nor would I want DH to.. even if I liked a name he didn't.

I really wanted to use Hannah.. it's one of my all time fave names and always has been. But, DH dislikes it. I would never, ever, ever consider using that then.. it just wouldn't feel right to me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search