Gah! (vent)

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I'm tired of the SSA crushing my hopes! Okay so in all fairness, it's my own holdup with refusing to use a name in the top 500 but come on. Every time I hear a name that I think is uncommon and I think, there's NO way that can be in the top 100.....it always is. DH and I were just sitting here and I read the name Bennett. I immediately love it and to my pleasant surprise, DH likes it too. Yeah...#361. *sigh*
July 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
That stinks If it makes you feel better, I don't know anyone with that name!! Maybe you can bump your number down to 300- nothing under 300?

July 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM
It helped me to look at that Name Nerds popularity list....they combine all the same spellings in on the SSA list to provide a more accurate popularity list. Basically, names in the 300's mean that there were only 800-900 children given that name in the US. When I think of it that way, it's not that many at all!
July 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey Tenille, I'm going to start hanging out here since we are NTNP but thinking of TTC soon and have absolutely no baby names in mind... anyway I LOVE Bennett. If you like it I think you should keep it on your short list!

MEG, mama to Blake (11/18/08) and Hudson (08/11/10)

July 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww, Bennett is really cute!

I like names that aren't overly popular too, although you'd never guess from my boys names lol. When I had Hayden and named him that it wasn't popular at all. Actually, it's still not very popular where I'm originally from, but it seems like lately every 3rd child is being named Hayden.

And Nicholas, well that's always been overused. SO named him though, so it's all his fault lol

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

July 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I totally understand what you're saying about not wanting to choose a popular name, but I don't think I would base it on not being in the top 500.

A name that is #620 this year could be #495 the next. Isla wasn't even in the top 1000 but then went to #623!

With that said, Bennett has been growing on me lately. It's really cute!

July 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM
dansgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also love Bennett, and think if you really love a name you shouldn't go by what "#" it is on the list! It could happen anyway where you pick a name that isn't popular and then by the time your LO is one or so, it will have jumped up, defeating your purpose! Good luck with deciding!
July 19th, 2009, 04:39 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Tenille,

Just the ranking on the SSA list doesnít give us a clear picture of the popularity of a name. We also have to take into account how many babies are born with that name, per one million births to really understand itís popularity.

For example, Emma is the most popular girlís name in the US for 2008 and Isabella is #2. So, one could say, ďIsabella is almost as popular as Emma.Ē However, once you look at the usage per million babies, you might get a different picture. Letís say, there are 500,000 Emmas born a year, 100,000 Isabellas, and 99,000 Emilys. Emma is still #1, Isabella #2, and Emily #3 but looking at the numbers, you couldnít say Isabella is almost as popular as Emma as she is 5 times as popular as Isabella. However, Emily is almost as popular as Isabella. In short, the SSA list is an ordinal (ranking) scale not an interval scale. So, just because a name is listed on the top 500 doesnít mean itís used that often.

There are about 4 million babies born in the US a year. There are 190 Bennetts per million babies (per NameVoyager). So, thatís 760 Bennetts born a year in the US. Now, to give us an estimate of how many Bennetts are born in your state, we could divide it by the 50 states (although popularity of names vary somewhat from state to state). Give or take a few, there are about 15 Bennetts born a year in Florida. Now, take a guess at how many cities are in Florida. Iíd guesstimate there is one Bennett born in your city every 1-2 years.

Now, looking at it that way, is that still too popular? Iím not trying to talk you into Bennett or anything (although I love the name). I just hate to see people give up on a name they like/love only because itís # such and such on a list that really doesnít show us the popularity of a name in usage but only in ranking.

Janna
July 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
I agree with Janna. It doesn't give a clear picture. Take my son's name for example. I know two famous Jacobys: the lead singer of Papa Roach and a Red Sox baseball player. I've seen one other Jacoby here on JM but in real life, I've never met one. Most people that I introduce my son to have never heard the name. You'd never expect Jacoby to be in the top 500, but it's # 423.

Side note: My Jordana, however, doesn't even make the top 1,000
July 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks ladies...you're absolutely correct. Janna my DH was breaking it down the same way. It really is something that I just need to get over.
July 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
awwww trying to stay out of the top 100 is a good bet youll get a pretty unique name

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search