To L or not to L!

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm still torn on this issue.

I can fine another L name for baby number 3, but beyond that I wonder - I don't like THAT many L names enough to use them.

So if I only have one more, then an L works. But ultimately I want six. Six matching L names just seems excessive to me. Which is why I'm hesitant to continue the L theme.. should I stop at two while I'm ahead? Otherwise I'm gonna end up with Luke, Lauren, Leighton, Lance, and Emmett.

Thoughts? Should baby number 3 be an L if it's not the last baby?
July 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Personally I like to either do all with the same letter or none but I would think if you guys are for sure having 4 children or something than I would pick another letter that you like and do two of them. lol. So Luke, Lauren, Emmett, and Eliana....etc...

But that's just me! I know some people name two children with one letter and then the next with another and then stop. When it really comes down to it, it doesn't really matter. But for me, it does.

July 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
SummerBabies11's Avatar Mega Super Duper Mommy
no! don't stick with L if you don't want them all named L.

Good luck miss sixer!

July 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Londa's Avatar At the Crossroads
If you really want 6, I would say it's time to move on to the next letter. After 3 L's you are going to feel the 'need' to continue.

July 20th, 2009, 12:57 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
Personally I like to either do all with the same letter or none but I would think if you guys are for sure having 4 children or something than I would pick another letter that you like and do two of them. lol. So Luke, Lauren, Emmett, and Eliana....etc...
This is what I was thinking. So for a while Luke, Luke, and Emmett won't match, but baby number four would be Elias and then they'd match again.
July 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Was thinking.. does the LETTER need to match, or does the SOUND work?

Emmett and Alyssa
Emmett and Allison..
July 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Babylove27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the Ls, but six may be alot. I thinking keeping the L's is cool, and switching letters. Keeping the Sound matching works as well.

July 20th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe you could have some names that start with another Letter but a nickname could start with L

ie:
Luke
Lauren
Elizabeth (Lizzie)
Elanor (Lennie/Lenor)etc.

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
July 20th, 2009, 02:42 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsmith1996 View Post
Maybe you could have some names that start with another Letter but a nickname could start with L

ie:
Luke
Lauren
Elizabeth (Lizzie)
Elanor (Lennie/Lenor)etc.
I strongly dislike most nicknames. =/ I did consider Olivia. It doesn't start with an L, but that's where the emphasis is. o-LIV-i-a. Say Luke, Lauren, Olivia fast enough and it totally works!

I think I'm leaning away from Ls for now though.. six is way too many.. I don't even think I come up with four L names that I really love. Not to mention I don't want to use an L name I just "kind of like" over an E name that I love. The two Ls were an accident - Lauren was supposed to be an A. But again, I wasn't going to NOT name her Lauren, which so plainly (to us) was supposed to be her name, just because it was another L.

Now I'm just babbling.
July 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Another thing I was thinking... maybe if you don't do any more of the same letters it would be okay, too.. Luke, Lauren, Emmett, Alyssa. That doesn't look weird to me.

And ANOTHER thing I was thinking (lol) is that don't worry about it too much... just use a name that you love! It would suck not to use the name that you love just because you're too worried about it "going" with your other kids names... it doesn't really matter in the long run. Maybe a few name lovers like us will notice but most people won't. Kwim? Sure, if you can use the names you love while giving your kids names that go really well together, then great! But if not, oh well.

July 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
Another thing I was thinking... maybe if you don't do any more of the same letters it would be okay, too.. Luke, Lauren, Emmett, Alyssa. That doesn't look weird to me.

And ANOTHER thing I was thinking (lol) is that don't worry about it too much... just use a name that you love! It would suck not to use the name that you love just because you're too worried about it "going" with your other kids names... it doesn't really matter in the long run. Maybe a few name lovers like us will notice but most people won't. Kwim? Sure, if you can use the names you love while giving your kids names that go really well together, then great! But if not, oh well.
See, I'm torn. I really want my kids' names to match, but at the same time I don't want to limited in my choices because of matching. I'd probably do your first suggestion, and just go with different letters all the way down.

I think I'm okay with three that match, or more than don't.. but the next two or three need to make it obvious that the first two weren't supposed to match.

I have no idea if that makes sense, lol
July 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
If you definitely know you're having 4 or more, I'd probably switch it up. If there's a chance number 3 could be the last, I'd stick to it.
July 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I'm with PinkSunset. If you were for sure only having 3 maybe 4 kids, I'd keep with the L's but if you are likely going to have more, I'd go ahead and switch it up now. I know it will be hard to do (I don't know if I could do it ) but in the long run you won't be bound to such few name choices. I'm trying to get over this concept myself b/c there are a lot of B names I like for boys but I know without a doubt that our girl will start with an A. I make myself feel better by telling myself that a) it's okay b/c two are boys and ones a girl...and I can do another A if I have another girl. Yeah...I put way too much thought into this.
July 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Don't worry, Tenille. I put a lot of thought into my kid's names too! When I was looking into names for Lauren, I had Ariadne picked out. I like it, and it's also an interesting matching:

Kasssandra and Ariadne are both from Greek Mythology
Andrew and Luke are both Biblical

We were ALL going to match! And then are plenty of Biblical boy names I love, and Hermione, Melissa, Persephone are all names I love too! It would have been so perfect! But Lauren was NOT an Ariadne.
July 20th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Did you switch from Ariadne to Lauren after she was born?
July 20th, 2009, 03:56 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Yeah. We had Ariadne Alexandria tentatively picked out. We wanted to make sure she wasn't an Alex.. Alexandria Nicole was out second choice, followed by Selena Alexandria. As you can see, we liked Alexandria.

But when they showed us Lauren, even though she was all puffyy and swollen and horrible looking (not like horrible ugly but horrible as in "it looks like she got in a really bad fist fight").. I immediately thought "that's Lauren." I didn't tell Andy what I wanted to call her, but instead asked him what he thought. He didn't even think before he said, "Lauren."

Given that Lauren wasn't on our list, had barely been mentioned in passing, and the fact that we both independently decided that Lauren is her name.. we went with it.
July 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you should go with whatever you love. Obviously, you could pick a different letter name next time, and the baby could have something different in mnd. LOL.

Lucas and Laylah were not planned to be "L" siblings either. It just happened.

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

July 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I immediately thought "that's Lauren." I didn't tell Andy what I wanted to call her, but instead asked him what he thought. He didn't even think before he said, "Lauren."

Given that Lauren wasn't on our list, had barely been mentioned in passing, and the fact that we both independently decided that Lauren is her name.. we went with it.
Aw She was meant to be Lauren.
July 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Regular
I have the same issue as you. All my kids have C middle names. I can't find another boy middle name that I love enough to use but for a girl I have one already. I think as long as two children share and the other 3 can. Luke, Lauren, Leighton, Emmett and Eliana would sound fine or even any name that doesn't start with E or L.

I wouldn't settle for a name that I didn't love just because i feel like i have to stick with a theme. There is no real naming rules when you name your children.
July 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
here are all the 'L' names from babynames.com... LOL you could find a new one or two you like

Search Baby Names - Search Results | BabyNames.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search