Would you...

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2009, 05:57 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Would you use a name you don't really care for to honor family?

My grandmother passed away this week, and I was thinking about using her name for our next baby if it's a girl - her name was Martha Elizabeth. I don't really feel like Elizabeth would be honoring her appropriately, so it'd be Martha or nothing. I don't HATE the name, it's just not something that would be on my list at all otherwise.

Also, DH's dad and (deceased) grandfather are both Donald. I strongly dislike the name, and thankfully DH doesn't care about honoring family.. but if it was important to him, I'd give him the family name.

Would you use a name you didn't really like in order to honor a family members?
July 24th, 2009, 06:16 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
First of all, I'm SO very sorry for your loss (((hugs)))

To answer you, I absolutely wouldn't use a name I disliked to honor family I know- that sounds bad. But, I wouldn't. I just CAN'T use a name I dislike, I can't. I have to LOVE my child's name. IMO, for me, there would be *other* ways I could honor a loved one who passed away.

July 24th, 2009, 06:45 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I would honor my relatives in other ways... I'm not much into family names (although I wouldn't mind naming a boy Robert after DH). The biggest and best way to honor someone imo is to remeber them, speak highly of them, teach your children, etc. Dedicating money to a charity for them is a nice jesture, or making a special day of their birthday each year... like by cooking their favorite foods and telling soties. My great grandmother was very special to me, and I do these types of things to honor her, but wouldn't name a child after her. Ity isn't b/c her name is Louie (which I'm not fond of), but that that isn't who she was to me... she was my granny, nad that is who I think of her as.

July 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im sorry for your loss

to honor family with names we dont care for, we use their names as inspiration. Hubs and I really wanted to honor our grandparents. My grandma's name was Gloria and his Grandpa was Merwin

my daughter Tessa's middle name is Gwen as a result of merging the two names.

Another thing we have considered doing is using the same initials as the person we want to honor

July 24th, 2009, 06:51 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
Its a family thing on his side to use family names, and I'd prefer to just pick pretty names that I like for the middle. We'll be doing it in pairs, most likely, meaning we pick a set to honor. So if we were to pick paternal grandmothers the middle names would be Florence Rose, our fathers middle names, Christian Maxwell, etc. We're not just picking out the names we like and using them.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

July 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im sorry to hear about your loss

For me I would find it hard to use a name I really didnt care for and I think my husband feels the same way even if it honors someone in the family. Taht aside though if I really was pressed to use it I would probably put it in a middle name slot
July 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I'm so sorry Kes

I absolutely would but only as a middle name. While I don't hate the name Jean I don't love it either, but if we have a 2nd girl her middle name will be Jean to honor DH's grandma that died when his mother was a teenager. I happen to like the other names we will use to honor family (Jacob, Gregory, James) so I don't have that problem there. I would also use Helen, Louise, Nels and Christopher which are all family names that I don't love but they are people that mean a lot to me.
July 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
personally.. yes .. since i did with Hunter.. if you dont particularly like it but want to use it.. make Martha Elizabeth a middle name

my sons middle names are Wilhelmus Anthonius.. both after family and are not names i would use for first names bc for one they are way to long.. and just bc i dont LOVE it to be a first name that i have to hear myself call my child that everyday.. but i LOVE that its for his middle names.. and my grandfather *who is Wilhelmus* adores Hunter and i know it means a lot to him
July 24th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Also...if you don't LOVE the name Martha, maybe you could find a variation of it that you like more??
July 24th, 2009, 10:48 AM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
Ditto ^^^

i was going to mention the same thing but forgot to mention it!

DH's mom name is Karen.. and i dont love it at all.. but id like to use it or its variation.. although i dont know what that is for that name
July 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry for your loss.

But no I wouldn't use a name I didn't like to honor a family member.

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

July 24th, 2009, 12:43 PM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
im so sorry

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

July 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am in the process of changing my daughters middle name, but I was thinking about her middle name being a name I did not like that much, but it was my grandmas middle name (Its Beatrice.) I thought about changing her name to Lilyin Bea, but went ahead and changed it to her Marie, which was my grandmas first name. Even though its the same name as my niece, and the same reason, I went ahead and did it.

I wasnt crazy about Beatrice or Marie, but did it to honor my grandma
July 24th, 2009, 02:35 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Sorry

I would try to find a variation of the name that I liked. If I couldn't find one, then no, I wouldn't do it.
July 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
If I liked the family name, I would definitely consider using it as a MN! That is in fact, what we did with Alexandra's MN. DH and I were absolutely in love with Alexandra and decided to honor his mother (Michelle) by giving her Michelle as her MN. Now my SIL has decided to continue that trend by naming her daughter Madeline Michelle.

And DH's father's name is James... so our first son will have the MN James (I don't mind! Plus it's DH's middle name and it was kind of important to him so )

Sorry for your loss!! I like what some of the other ladies suggested... maybe find a variation of your grandmother's name and use that as a MN?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
July 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i wouldnt use a name i didnt like

we were trying to think of a mn for malachi that was for family since my other two have one but since we dont like any we didnt.
July 25th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I would use it as a middle name, but it's important for me to honor family. I love that I was named after someone (my dad) and I want to pass that onto my children.

July 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too am sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't use a relative's or friend's name as the child's first name. However, I'd have no problem honoring someone by using their name as the middle. I'm not a huge fan of the middle name Marie since it's a filler, but my grandma, mom and I all share it so I felt oblegated to give it to Jordin for the middle. My grandma kept questioning me if I was going to pass it on.

July 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM
girlggc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would in the middle name slot. I don't really like the name Esther, but if I am blessed with a second DD (still trying to conceive #1, mind you) then she'll have the middle name Esther.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for the beautiful siggie!

July 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't use a name I didn't like just to honor a family member, but I would consider using a different, similar name that I did like if I really wanted to honor that person.. Such as Liam for William, Willow for Wilma, etc...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search