Opinions on these girl names...

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH and I have a little over 2 months to decide and we really can't agree on anything!! What do you think?

1. Lily - we had a agreed on Lily early in our pregnancy but do NOT want a common name. Everyone keeps telling us that Lily is VERY popular?

2. Gabrielle - we would call her "Elle", but my DH is scared that she will get the nickname "Gabby" which we don't like.

3. Reagan - no nickname, but sounds very "formal" to me? I prefer more cutsy, girly names.

My DH came up with a "new" name last week, but I think its a boy's name!! Emmanuelle - we could still call her "Elle".

What do you guys think is the best name? Or should we keep looking?

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
July 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Lily and Gabrielle are both popular but beautiful names none the less. People might call Gabrielle Gabby but you'd just have to correct them. Reagan is somewhat popular but not really girly imo. I agree that Emmanuelle is a boy name.

Noelle, Brielle and Arielle are all feminine names that you could use the name Elle with.
July 24th, 2009, 09:41 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I love Lily and Gabrielle, but I'd stay clear of either if you're looking for something different. With Gabrielle, you'll be hardset to stay away from Gabby and Lily is sooo popular (but equally gorgeous).

As for Emmanuelle:
Its not only a boys name. Beautiful women can carry it as well.
Emmanuelle Chriqui - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Emmy Rossum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Emmanuelle Seigner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

Last edited by LadyGamer; July 24th, 2009 at 09:44 AM.
July 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I think Lily is a cute name, but is rather popular. As per the SSA top 1000, Lily was number 24, Gabriella was 35, and Gabrielle was 75. Reagan was 141. Emmanuel is a boy's name, and Emmanuelle is a girls name - just like Gabriel and Gabrielle. The distinction is slight in both cases, but it's there.

I think you have a lovely list to choose from - I like all of them!

Here are some more -elle names I dug up, in case you're super intent on that nick name:
Elenore, Ellen, Helen, Elaina (kind of a stretch for Elle, but it could work), Abrielle, Annabelle, Isabelle, Arabelle, Ardelle, Aurelia, Chanelle, Shantel, Clarabelle, Danielle, Estelle, Joelle, Mirabel, Michelle, Nichelle, Odelle, Adele, Brielle
July 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
1. Lily --- I love the name! Many women on the boards here like the name. It is ranked high on the Social Security Administration website. It' #24. And, Lilly is #125. Lillian is #29 and Liliana is #150 (many of them will go by Lily, of course). On the SSA website, you can also look up how many babies are born each year with a particular name in your state. In 2008, there were about 400 Lilys and Lillians born. If that's too popular for you, you might look for something else. Other fun and/or beautiful flower names: Violet, Rose, Daisy, and Jasmine. Or, Lucy is similiar to Lily but not quite as popular. If you really love Lily, you might pick a variant - Lillian, Liliana, Lilyanna, or Lileth; so you feel like you gave her a more unique name, she has something else to be called by if she feels her name is too popular, and you still get to use the name you love with the nn Lily!
(A longer, formal name with Lily as a nn is in our Top 3 choices for a girl for Baby #3.)

2. Gabrielle - Yes, she might get called Gabby but if you're good about speaking up, you can correct people on it. And, most people will eventually respect your wishes. I have a friend with a child named Michael. He is always called Michael, never Mike or Mikey. However, by the time she becomes a teen she might love the name Gabby and insist on being called by that. Would you be okay with that? And, by 13-14 years from now, you just might like Gabby.

3. Reagan - if you prefer cutesy, girly names, I wouldn't go with Reagan

I'd keep looking for a name, but keep Lily and Gabrielle on the "back burner".
July 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe I am biased, but I love Lily, it just so happens to be my daughters name

To be honest, I haven't ran into too many Lily's with her. Maybe I don't notice how many there are because I have one of the most common names ever (Jennifer) but I dont find Lily to be that common.

Lily was a family namesake for me, so that may also be a reason I didn't really care that it is supposed to be common.
July 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love the name Lily.

July 25th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Lily is very popular (so is Lillian), so if you want unpopular I'd avoid it. Gabrielle and Gabriella are both pretty popular as well. Reagan is pretty trendy and not girly (in my opinion).

I think Emmanuelle is nice, or maybe Emmanuella (I went to school with an Emmanuella)?

from behindthename.com:
EMMANUELLE
Usage: French
French feminine form of EMMANUEL

July 25th, 2009, 08:38 AM
girlggc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with you in that I prefer girly names. Lily and Gabrielle are both very popular. Reagan is too boyish IMO. Emmanuelle is also a boy name IMO. I suggest you hunt for a new name. I'll give you a few suggestions. Sabrina, Cassandra, Julia, and Leah are names that my DH and I both like. Annabelle and Madeleine are names that I love but my DH won't go for.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for the beautiful siggie!

July 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. Lily- very pretty name.
2. Gabrielle- I like it. Well, I prefer Gabriella. It was ranked high on my list for when I was choosing a name for my daughter. Everyone I know shot it down saying she'd be called Gabby. Plus my niece is named Isabella so the ending's too close.
3. Reagan- Don't really like it.
4. Emmanuelle- it's pretty, but what ruins it for me is there was a soft core erotic show with that name as the title

July 25th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the input ladies! Very helpful and will definately keep in the back of mind when choosing. I think if she looks like a Lily when we see her - we'll go with Lily!

Alicia - You're right re: Emmanuelle!!! I think it was out in the 70's and early 80's or something. I told my DH (laughing about it the entire time) but he didn't think it was very funny. Oh well.. have a sense of humor, will ya!?!?

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
July 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lily is a very cute name, but there are too many of them running around. There are 2 in my son's class and when I've volunteered it takes away from each child's 'uniquenes' to have that many with the same name in my opinion.

I like Gabrielle better but it's too popular for my taste.

Reagan I do like.

Emmanuelle is not my style at all, to me is sounds really masculine, even in its feminine form.

What about:
Penelope
Daphne
Kerrigan
Delaney
Laurel
Lorelei
Daisy
Campbell
Harper
Eden
Evangeline
Josephine (Josie)
Delphina
Adelaide
Ruby
Adeline
Rory
Piper
Aubrey
Zoe
Shelby
Ainsley
Lola
Jewel
Tori or Victoria nn Tori
Kendall
Delilah
Emerson
Adella nn Ella
Nina
Naomi
Helena
Dagny
Corrigan
Sienna
Aspen
Autumn
Sierra
Astrid
Cecilia nn Cecily
Shiloh
Kaya
Cheyenne
Athena
Kenzie
Kiana
Felicity
Marlow
Claudia
Jenson
Tamsin
Tatum

Wow, got carried away sorry!
July 25th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
1. Lily - we had a agreed on Lily early in our pregnancy but do NOT want a common name. Everyone keeps telling us that Lily is VERY popular?
Very popular.... and nms

2. Gabrielle - we would call her "Elle", but my DH is scared that she will get the nickname "Gabby" which we don't like.
well I love this one, because I have a Gabrielle! Her n/n is Gaby, BUT that is because what I've been using since the word go - I think if you emphasise that her n/n is Elle, people would call her that

3. Reagan - no nickname, but sounds very "formal" to me? I prefer more cutsy, girly names.
nms

My DH came up with a "new" name last week, but I think its a boy's name!! Emmanuelle - we could still call her "Elle".
definately think of it as a boys name

July 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I love both Gabrielle and Lily! I also like Reagan if you're looking for a more unisex name. Emmanuelle is NMSAA. It sounds like a boys name to me. It just depends on what's important to you with popularity. If it's going to really bother you if you run into other Gabrielle's or Lily's then I would steer clear of using names like that, but if you won't care, then just pick a name that you love! Popular names just mean that they're well liked.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search