Has anyone had their baby and realized the name they had picked was all wrong?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2009, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone had a baby and realized that the name they picked out was all wrong for the baby? What did you do? I'm trying to decide if we should choose 2 names (boy and girl since it's a suprise) or say 4 or 6 that we like and choose the right one when we finally meet the baby...

Or do you know it enough in your belly to choose the right name?

Thank you Vicki for my siggy!
July 31st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
We knew it enough but we'd decided on Blaise's name long before we got pregnant. There was never an alternative name....it was perfect. Halfway through my pregnancy my brother & sil pitched a fit that we were using the middle name Jacob (our dad's name) since they had used it for their son. We contemplated changing his middle name for about a day and then decided against it. I'm SO glad I did....I think we would've regretted it had we changed it. I do know of ladies that named their baby and then questioned it...we have one on this board who changed her son's name a few names before deciding on the perfect name
July 31st, 2009, 02:38 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
We took three months to finalize Jacoby's name. (pronounced j-KO'-bee)

We had agreed on Jacoby, Justin, or Tristan during the pregnancy. I realllly wanted Josiah but my husband hated it. Well at the hospital, he agreed to Josiah if we could use Tristan as a middle name. We decided on that but every time anyone called the baby Josiah, I could just see that it bothered DH so I decided we should use one of the names we'd agreed on.

We called him Jacoby for a few weeks. Then called him Justin for a few weeks. And ended up going with Jacoby and sending in the birth certificate paperwork that way. FINALLY!

I would suggest coming to an agreement before the birth. That's definitely what I'd do if we ever ended up with a number 3 because it felt like Jacoby didn't really have an identity for a long time and it was hard to connect his name to him since it hadn't been that name since the very beginning.

If you do decide to go to the hospital with a few options, at least make a pact to decide on a name in the first few hours and stick with it

AND... if you decide on something and change your mind later, it can be fixed. Most states give you at least 30 days if not several months to correct the birth certificate.

Last edited by *~ Joni ~*; July 31st, 2009 at 02:41 PM.
July 31st, 2009, 03:41 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
We had two names picked out for Lauren when we got to the hospital, and decided on a name that wasn't even on the list.
July 31st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
We went to the hospital with a bunch of names and decided while I was in labor. When she was born, it was a perfect fit. I definitely would be open to changing the name we had chosen if the name didn't seem to fit after the baby was born.

July 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
DH and I picked Alexandra Michelle as our first baby girl's name 4 years before I even got pregnant. So I just feel she was just meant to be Alexandra. I couldn't imagine her having any other name. She was born to be Alexandra!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
July 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lucius' full name was chosen before I got pregnant. He's always been our little Lucius and we have always thought his name was perfect for him.

We have chosen full names for our future children as well.

July 31st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Wednesday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had two names picked out for Koen when I went into labour. DH was set on Koen, and I was leaning towards the other one. When he was about 6 months old, we heard a name and were instantly pissed that we hadn't thought of it before he was born (Odin). We even talked about legally changing his name, but thought that it would be too confusing.

July 31st, 2009, 07:33 PM
SummerBabies11's Avatar Mega Super Duper Mommy
I have a surprise coming Sunday... and we have two name sort of... just names we would probably settle for right now. I feel like I have to see the baby to feel like the name is going to be right. so I am literally taking lists and lists of names..

hopefully I make it to Sunday... im cramping too much!

July 31st, 2009, 09:15 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
Congrats!!! Having a baby is just the most exciting thing ever!!! Can't wait to see what you guys decide to name him/her!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
July 31st, 2009, 09:16 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
with Gaby it felt right.. but I think it was because it was the ONLY name that her father would agree on, so it was more like I gave in to that name to please him, or something..... Don't get me wrong, I think she suits the name, but kinda wish I had been able to use one of the names I had chosen for her (Aliya or Camdyn)....

With bubby #2 I think we'll probably choose a name - but have another couple of contenders incase the baby doesn't fit his/her name we chose originally

July 31st, 2009, 09:19 PM
*Hayley*
we knew Cohen would be his name before we went in for the u/s @ 20 weeks and I would never even think about changing it.

this time around we've decided on a name, Abram, around 20 weeks and I hope we don't feel like it doesn't suite him after he's here because we never came close to loving another boy name.

it's definitely not uncommon though for people to go in with a few names, or even with only one name and changing it after baby is born.

ps Wednesday, soooo glad you didn't go with Odin, he's much cuter as a Koen and Odin makes me thing of Odie from Garfield hehe
August 1st, 2009, 11:51 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
We had both of our children's names picked out before the 20 week sonogram. And, the names fit them just perfectly. I've never thought to change them.

For baby #3, we're going for a surprise. Since we won't even know the gender, we've thought why just pick out 2 names (one boy, one girl)? We just might go in with 2-3 names for each gender and choose after meeting the baby.
August 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
We didn't name our son until he was born. Had a list of our likes but we wanted and had to meet him before we could name him.

August 3rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
The only name I ever question/questioned was Natalia. I love it because I associate it with her but it wouldn't have been my choice if I was naming my children on my own.

With Alaina we had her name picked out about a month before she arrived. For the twins we brought a list of names because the genders were a surprise.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search