Didn't see it coming?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
MamaPickles's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaPickles Send a message via Yahoo to MamaPickles
What little annoyances or problems didn't you foresee with your child(ren)'s name? Pronunciation issues you didn't expect? Maybe gender confusion you didn't see?

Do share!

C + T since 10.16.2004

August 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
1st dd - Eden Macey : We didn't expect so many people asking how to spell her name - despite telling people that it's 'like the garden of Eden'. I also didn't expect to get questions about her gender (when over the phone) or people thinking we said aiden when we say it.

2nd dd - Isla Caroline: We totally expected the pronunciation issues, but being in a heavily hispanic populated small town, we assumed we'd get eees-lah...the Spanish pronunciation. Instead, we're getting an unexpected KY is-lah. LOL. I guess we should have expected that. I of course expected the spelling question.

C + T since 10.16.2004

August 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Um mainly the confusion with people spelling her n/n properly - it's Gaby, but everyone spells it Gabby...

OHHHHHHHHHH & heaps of people call her Gabriella.. which is just .. weird, because it's very clear her name is Gabrielle!

August 3rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Wednesday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Ds is Koen and we have a million people look at us confused saying "Colan?". That sucks.

August 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
*Hayley*
a lot of people think we are saying Owen. i don't bother correcting them if they're strangers. a lot of foreigners say Co-hen and pronounce the H, even though we don't.
August 3rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
GAY-bree-ella instead of Gab-REE-ella

August 4th, 2009, 05:45 AM
M&RsMom's Avatar Mama to silly boys
Send a message via AIM to M&RsMom
If people ask Miles his name and he answers they sometimes hear "Kyle" but I think that's just cuz he has a kid voice kwim?

Rhys- I expected it since people are more familiar with the phonetic spelling Reese/Reece. He's been called "Rice" and "Riss" when they've seen it written and I always have to spell it since people assume it's the other way. I don't mind though because when I tell people it's the traditional spelling most people like it better.

August 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Hey Tiffany---glad you're back! How's Miss Isla doing? Is she home from the NICU?

We don't get a whole lot of mispronunciation with Blaise...we've had the occassional Blazey. We get mispelled (Blaze). Oh and his pediatrician calls him "Blay" but that's because of his accent
August 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Londa's Avatar At the Crossroads
Drewell (Drew) People pronounce his full name as Drool sometimes. It irks me to no end. It's dru EL! Also gender confusion with full and nickname. I guess there are quite a few female Drews / Drus out there now.

Donovan -- Nothing really. An occasional misspell here and there but that is all

August 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had any problems with Jordin's name. Of course they'll start off spelling it Jordin, but that's alright. The I is in her name instead of an A cause there are 6 dan's in the family.

I grew up with having my name butchered. Doesn't really phase me anymore. When I graduated the speaker pronounced my entire name wrong even though I wrote it out phonetically on the card they provided us with.

August 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
The only thing we get with Luke is that people assume his name is Lucas. "I'm Kes, and this is Luke." "Aww, hi Lucas!" Wouldn't I have said "This is Lucas" if that were his name....?

Oh and I hate nick names. I don't care if other people use them for their own kids, but I dislike them and think very few names warrant a nick name. So I picked names for my kids that don't HAVE nick names, right? My MIL calls him Lukey. Not Lucky.. Luke-ee. No name is safe from his nicknaming wrath.

As far as Lauren goes.. I pronounce is LAWR-en, and apparently most people say Lore-in. So when I introduce her as Lawr-en, It goes like this:
"oh, how do you spell that."
"L-a-u-r-e-n."
"Oh, like Lauren (lore-in)."
They think it's two different names.. I don't get it.
August 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tristan, there are so many different spellings that people never know which one to use. And most people here Christian or try to say it like Tristian. When I had him in the hospital the nurses kept thinking his name was Justin.

>
August 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Alaina- people try to spell it Elena or Elaina sometimes.. thats about it though.
Natalia and Georgia- no real isses except one of the nurses at our pediatricians office always calls Nah-tal-ee-a instead of Nah-tal-ya.

August 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Emmalyn- we spelled it this way because we thought this was the easiest way to ensure correct pronounciation and spelling. I was thinking since Madelyn is a popular spelling around here people would automactically assume her name was spelled similar. Well 2 wks after she was born the hospital called to get ins. info on Ee-Mal-lyn. And EVERYONE spells it Emmalynn (even my mom).

I learned then not to worry too much about how other people will react to names because someone is always going to goof it up, LOL!

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

August 4th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kairi being called "Carrie". I NEVER saw it coming. I can clearly read the "Kai" at the beginning. Apparently people see the word "air" in there and assume it has to be said. I dunno. My bad. I hope she doesn't have too many problems. It doesn't happen a lot or anything, but now and then...
August 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Londa's Avatar At the Crossroads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Kairi View Post
Kairi being called "Carrie". I NEVER saw it coming. I can clearly read the "Kai" at the beginning. Apparently people see the word "air" in there and assume it has to be said. I dunno. My bad. I hope she doesn't have too many problems. It doesn't happen a lot or anything, but now and then...
Just curious..how do you pronounce her name. Is it KY ree or ky REE or something else? I would have never thought Carrie BTW

August 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSunset View Post
Just curious..how do you pronounce her name. Is it KY ree or ky REE or something else? I would have never thought Carrie BTW
I'm not always the best at typing these things out, but I think both ways you wrote work.
I really liked the name Kai when I was pregnant, but found that more often than not it was used for a male name. So when I came across the name Kairi, which is just Kai, with an REE sound at the end of it, I fell in love. This way, she can decide to call herself Kai later in life if she likes, or stick with Kairi. If she hates it altogether, she can use her more common MN which is Grace.

Random fact - there are 3 other women with children named Kairi here on JM.
August 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aylie (prn. eye-lee) usually gets called eh-lee, then we correct, then they ask how do you spell that

Layla - none that I can think of

Rhett - usually first gets called Brett, we correct, then they ask how do you spell that.
August 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJ1209 View Post
Hey Tiffany---glad you're back! How's Miss Isla doing? Is she home from the NICU?

Hijacking this thread to respond...

We're doing good...hope to get to bring her home tomorrow!!!!

C + T since 10.16.2004

August 6th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
AUBREY, I hate the name Aubrey. I had to deal with this growing up, too. I was always called Melody. No, not Melody, Mel-Uh-Knee!. Now my poor daughter has to endure it, too.

It always goes like this:
"Awwe, what's her name?"
"Audrey."
"Oh, Aubrey, that's so pretty."
"No! Not Aubrey, Audrey."
""
"Awww-dddrrrreeey. You know, like Hepburn? "
""

Argh! I'm so sick of Aubrey!!!

Okay, rant over, I swear.

Last edited by Melanie.; August 6th, 2009 at 03:29 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search