-lee and -son names

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Do you think that the names ending in -lee should be left for the girls and the names ending in -son should be for the boys? Does it bother you when you hear a male with a "lee" name and a female with a "son" name?
August 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Makes no difference to me! I like Addison & Emerson for girls (although I prefer them spelt with a Y rather than an O)

August 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Veteran
I don't care about -lee. But when a name ends in -son, it is so masculine and makes the name mean "Son of ___." Why would anyone want their daughter being named something like that? Yuck

Thank you claire1979 for my beautiful siggy!
August 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I don't think "son" really matters. The male pronoun is used for the collective group, even when there are females involved. "Addison" means CHILD of Adam, not necessarily SON of Adam. Just like the surname Anderson is giving to females, even though they aren't sons of Andrew. The -son names being unisex doesn't phase me at all.

I can't think of any male names than end in lee..

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; August 8th, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
August 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I'd much prefer a female name ending in -son like Madison than a male name ending in -Lee like Hadley.

August 8th, 2009, 11:02 PM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I strongly dislike ANY -son ending name on a girl. To me, the names pretty much sum themselves up: AddiSON, MadiSON, EmerSON, AnderSON, HenderSON, JackSON...
I can't even really think of any names that end in Lee.
August 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
I'd much prefer a female name ending in -son like Madison than a male name ending in -Lee like Hadley.

And, I've come to like Addison and Emerson on a girl although I would not use them myself.
August 9th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Common male names ending in the "lee" sound
Riley
Bradley
Harley
Finley
Stanley
Marley
Bentley

I don't mind ley on the end of a traditional male name (BRADley, STANley, BILLy) but I think the more trendy ones sound feminine.
August 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought you meant like spellings of those names ending in -lee. Like Bradlee, Rilee, Finlee and so on! I don't mind -lee sounding names on males (as long as they aren't spelled with the -lee)! I really like Bradley.
August 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Mrs. Langley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, my daughters name is AlliSON and she is anything but masculine.

August 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
I don't think "son" really matters. The male pronoun is used for the collective group, even when there are females involved. "Addison" means CHILD of Adam, not necessarily SON of Adam. Just like the surname Anderson is giving to females, even though they aren't sons of Andrew. The -son names being unisex doesn't phase me at all.
Er, Addison does mean son of Adam, not child of Adam. Girls weren't given the surname "Addison" because their's father's first name was Adam, they got it because their father's last name was Addison, and most children, whether male or female, get their father's last name.

I don't like any patronymic surnames on girls, whether they end in -son or start with Mc or have any other thing in them meaning "son of."
Quote:
Well, my daughters name is AlliSON and she is anything but masculine
Allison/Alison isn't a surname, it's an old diminutive of Alice, so I don't see anything masculine about it. It's the only name ending in -son I like for a girl.

My grandfather's name is Lee, so I don't think all Lee names are bad names for boys.
August 10th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think besides the name Lee all spellings with "lee" ending are very feminine. There are plenty of "ley" boy names that aren't feminine. I think it is just the double "e" spelling. As for "son" names. I generally don't have a problem with them being on boys or girls. I like Addison, Madison and Alison for girls but also think Jackson, Emerson are for boys.

>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search