How popular is your childs name in your community?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest three went back to school today *sniff sniff*. And I'm happy to say they don't have to share their names w/ anyone else in their class!!

I was surprised because I always hear that Emma will have 3 or more Emmas in school w/ her, but there wasn't. No other Emma/Emmalyns in HER preschool class but I do know there are some in other grades. It doesn't bother me though

Alyssa has always been the only one in her grade.

Coleman IS the only one in the school, BUT I'm shocked by all the variations of Cole/Colt that go there.
Tons of Colton, Koltyn, Coltens, couple of Coulters, and today I saw a Koleson and a Coledyn . All in K and Pre-K, LOL!

I'm curious how everyone else's childrens names rank in your real life communities! Are they really popular? Does it bother you?

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; August 13th, 2009 at 08:07 AM.
August 13th, 2009, 08:33 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
My kids haven't started school, but I don't know any baby Luke's or Lauren's, though both names are ranked fairly high on the SSA website.

I looked into it once, and realized that "most popular" really doesn't mean much. There are A LOT of babies born in the US every year. I think I looked at Florida, and there were 80,000+ babies born the same year Luke was who used the top 100 names (maybe it was the top 1000...). Either way, like 500 of them were Lukes.. in the entire state.

Take into the account the sheer amount of various schools in any one community range.. It's actually fairly unlikely they'd have to share their name.

Names have come a long way since the 80s, when we grew up with 15 Jessica's and 12 Jennifer's in every class.
August 13th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son Tristan, has never had a Tristan in his class, but there has been 1-2 in his grade. He has also had another Tristan on his baseball team more than 1 year. I was a little upset when I first started finding all the Tristans but not anymore. Some of the most popular names in his grade are Ben/Benny/Benjamin and Alexis/Alexa etc. My name is Jennifer and there was always a TON of Jennifer's in all my grades and classes. In first grade we had 2 classrooms and there were 14 Jennifers.

>
August 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Blaise isn't in school yet however as far as I'm aware, his names pretty uncommon in our community. The 2 Blaise's I've ever heard of are my age or older.
August 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was at the doctor the other day and there was a 20 something year old girl named Jordan. I don't know how popular it is around here since she's not in school yet. But as for my name it's pretty popular. I know of 5 of them right off the top of my head. Some spell it differently but it's still the same.

August 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am 100% sure there aren't any Kairi's anywhere near me... probably not even in province.
August 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is only 1 other Mattea in our town, as far as I (and the other Mattea's mom) know. She spells it Matteah though.

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
August 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There's usally another Kaeli (Kay-lee) or two, but never spelled the same.
Sometimes there's a Cassie or Cassidy, but never a Kasslyn.
There have been some boys named Jaedyn - different spellings though.
Every once in a while I find another Natalie, but she's not in school yet.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
August 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I haven't met another Gabriella yet. Although my daughter is only a year!! lol.

August 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM
irishxrose
Joshua's name is ranked 3rd in the entire United States, so I knew he'd be sharing it with at least one classmate if not more when we named him. In the year that he was born, there were 71,000 babies born in my state. Of those, 310 were named Joshua. Considering we live in the largest city in the entire state, and where most of the population lives... yeah, it's inevitable that he will share a name with one or more of his classmates. I'm okay with that though; if he doesn't like it he can always use his middle name. I'm sure Benji won't be seen too often.
August 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My oldest has a name that isn't common at all anymore - Scott (#322 for 2008 social sec list). He starts Monday so I am not sure if there are any other Scott's in his class, but there probably won't be. It can be really confusing when your child shares a name with others in the class. My middle child is Wyatt. We don't know any other Wyatt's but I'm sure there will be some in school as it's #62 for 2008. IT was number 82 when we picked it, but it's gotten more popular since then. At least I used it before it got too popular instead of jumping on the bandwagon lol. There are not any Phoebe's in the entire elementary school. I asked the librarian. So that's good. Hopefully she'll be the only one!
August 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM
MamaPickles's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaPickles Send a message via Yahoo to MamaPickles
There is 1 other Eden I know of in the next town over, but she's about 8 years older than my dd. I've never met anyone IRL with Isla's name. I've only met two other little girls IRL with the name Eden and one lived in FL, not KY and the other lived in a different town and was about 3 ...that was 3 years before my dd was born.

I think it will bother me if we ever get in a class where there is another, as it's something that I really strive to avoid for them, but it won't be the end of the world.

C + T since 10.16.2004

August 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Charlie is too young to be in school yet, so I don't know how common the name is for kids his age, but personally I have only met one Charlie in my life and he was about 17 years older (a student I taught).

I've also never met any other Mollies, except for my aunt whom I was named after.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
August 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Wednesday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son isn't in school yet, but his name has become way more popular here lately. When I was pregnant, I was certain that he would be the only one in his class with his name. In the time that he was born, I have met two other Cohen/Coen's and know of 5 other kids all under the age of two. My city is only 100,000 so he is bound to start bumping into them when he reaches high school (if not sooner). I'm trying to not to care about it, but I still do. I was one of 3 Amanda's in my class growing up, and I hated it.

August 13th, 2009, 07:17 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
My daughter's name is the "ultra-popular" Isabella. In the last 3+ years, we've heard of two others (they were being called by their moms in the store). One was 5-ish years older than my DD and the other was 10-ish years older than my DD. All my family and friends have told me my Isabella is the only one they know except for my sister. Her friend in New York has a niece named Isabella. Izzie will not start preschool until next year but given the number of Isabellas that were born in the state of Kansas the year she was born, it's statistically very unlikely she will have another Isabella in her class. So, no, I don't think it's too popular in our area.

My son is only a year old but I've never met or heard of another Max. There were 50 Maxes born in our whole state last year. So again, I don't think there will be another in his grade, let alone in his class.

KesKes was right in that popular names are not how they were back in the 80's and before. There aren't going to be 5 Emilys, 5 Jacobs, and 5 Isabellas in every class like there were Jennifers, Jessicas, and Michaels in the 80's. There is a much wider range of names being used nowadays.
August 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
No Audreys anywhere around here. It's a small town and my MIL knows everyone.
August 14th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Not too sure yet, at the moment she just attends preschool, and there aren't any other Gabrielle's in her class, but i think that once she's at primary (elementary) school, we'll probably find another one or two in her class or age group

August 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
No clue. I only knew one Zane, he's 2 years older than me!

August 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Mine are 2 and under but I'm sure Jordana and Jacoby will always be the only ones in their class. Well... maybe not Jacoby if we move to Boston, but we don't plan to

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search