Would you..

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Would you ever use a name of an ex, or a name that you discussed using with an ex? What about your DH's exes?

I personally don't care. If I love the name, and DH loves it, I'd use it. His ex is Christa, which was one of my favorite names, but he said no for a long time. By the time he caved, I'd gotten used to the no and didn't want to use it anymore. I have an Ex named Justin - it ended badly - but I still love the name and would use it if I didn't love other names more now.

What are your thoughts?
August 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Londa's Avatar At the Crossroads
We met when we were 17 & 18 so not too many ex's to mention.

I don't think I would want to though. What if I ran into the ex later? I surely wouldn't want them to think I named my child after them.

August 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
double post

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

Last edited by MamaTo2Ls; August 14th, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
August 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd have to go with a NO. I don't like the names of my exes anyway to use for a child, but if I did, I wouldn't use it. Baby names discussed with an ex I don't think is a huge deal, but I probably still wouldn't do it.

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

August 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
No, I wouldn't. If there is that connection in my mind, I wouldn't feel right about using it. I know I tend to be rather conservative in my opinions, so I try and keep that in mind with things.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

August 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
DH and I were both young and hadn't talked kids with any other bf/gf's but if we had, I probably wouldn't use that same name. I also wouldn't use the name of either of our ex's.
August 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
Nope.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

August 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Define EX's, LOL! The guys that I was in serious relationships with-NO WAY! The ones that I just dated-yeah probably. I dated a Jacob for a couple of months and Dh and I have considered using that name. Same w/ Dh, No Sarah, but I would have considered an Abby.

Names that were discussed w/ ex's- Nope, I ended up scratching them off my list.
August 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
No way! I'd be livid if DH suggested an ex's name.
August 14th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
No.. but if I had discussed my favorite name with a past boyfriend I would think it's okay. But if it was his favorite name, I think it would be a little weird.

August 15th, 2009, 05:50 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH and I were 17 and 16 when we started dating so don't have many exes. But no, I probably wouldn't use our exes names, mostly because they're NMSAA!
August 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
It kind of depends.

I've always wanted to use the name Rhiannon for a girl... even with my ex. Now, my ex's name is Rion (pronounced like Ryan), so we liked the idea of Rhiannon both because it has spiritual meaning to me, and because it was similar to his name. When we broke up, it was pretty amicable and we remained friends. I obviously still plan to use the name.

Now, my husband's ex-fiance is named Kathleen (Kat)... and that has turned me off to the names Caitlin and Catriona. Catriona (Irish form of Katherine) because of the possible Cat nickname and Caitlin because it's the original form of Kathleen. :-/ Also because Caitlin is just way too popular. I refuse to use either name, lol.

August 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Nope... Nope nope nope

August 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
irishxrose
No. Well, DF has always planned on naming a daughter Victoria, and when he was with his first love, they planned on using it since he wanted it. Well, they broke up, he has no feelings for her at all, and he's been with me for over five years... and I love the name Victoria, and since Jason has always wanted to use that name, I'm perfectly okay with it and we fully plan on naming a daughter Victoria if we have one. No biggie on that - ex didn't choose it, Jason and I did.

Now, her name or one of my ex's names? HELL NO. I love the name Katherine but I won't ever use it because his ex is named that and she caused a whole bunch of issues early on in our relationship, so I refuse to name a child of mine that. Same goes for my exes, DF doesn't want to use any of those names and I am perfectly fine with that.
August 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
kmac's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i think either way i wouldnt. even with names you discussed with someone else i dont think it would be okay. for example, i know brad wanted to use the name nicholas when his ex was preggo with their son and she nixed it. he suggested it when i was pregnant with emerson if we were having a boy and i nixed it, even though i think its an okay name. i just feel like its not for the right kid. even my "leftover" names we arent considering for this baby because i feel like each kid deserves a fresh list of names, rather than left overs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search