If you had the same last name as someone famous....

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you had the same last name as a famous or semi-famous person or character how opposed would you be to using the same first name even if you really loved the name?

For example, if your last name was....
Sparrow, would you name your child Jack (Capt. Jack Sparrow)
Simpson, would you use Jessica, Maggie, Lisa, Bart
Pitt, Bradley
Berry, Halle

Ok I'm having trouble thinking of examples, but you get what I'm trying to say, right?

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

September 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
our last name is Monroe, it completely kills Marilyn for us. Though, DH does have a cousin named Marilyn Monroe- she was named before Marilyn climbed into the spotlight

September 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Super Mommy
I would probably try to find a different name that I loved just as much. Especially if it was a cartoon.. lol

Thanks to cavewoman for my beautiful siggy!

September 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Londa's Avatar At the Crossroads
I would avoid using the same exact name as a celeb no matter how much I liked the name.

September 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I would avoid it.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

September 9th, 2009, 08:39 AM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too would avoid it, or perhaps try to find a variation. I've feared finding a man who's last name is Finch, because of my love for Atticus!
But, maybe another Atticus Finch (what a great name!) wouldn't be too bad?
September 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I would more than likely not use the same name...but if it weren't someone super famous and was a more subtle reference (maybe a not so popular book character/author) then I might do it.
expecting #2 December 2016
September 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
It would really depend on the famous name and whether or not it would still be famous/popular for my child's generation. A lot of the time the kid's name makes the reference regardless of last name.

Our last name isn't Skywalker, but we still gets Star Wars references every day. If you name your daughter Hallie, people are going to think of Hallie Berry anyways.

I wouldn't throw out my favorite name ever because it was the name of someone famous, but I also wouldn't throw it out if it was the name of someone I didn't like, and I know most people would. I might try to find one I liked just as much, but I wouldn't settle for one I liked less.
September 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always avoided it, but it was soooo frustrating sometimes!!!

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

September 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would avoid using the name. I know several people named Michael Jackson and even if the famous person is in a good spot light you don't know what stupid things they would do later. I just wouldn't want that laid on a child.

>
September 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM
M&RsMom's Avatar Mama to silly boys
Send a message via AIM to M&RsMom
I'd avoid it as well, thankfully we have an uncommon last name

September 9th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There are famous people with my last name and I avoided it like the plague.
September 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I wouldn't use the same name because I would be after EVERYONE would ask if I named my child after them.

September 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
There are two famous people with our last name and I LOVE their first names. Both first names also happen to be Dh's grandparent's names. So, we're considering using the names (or a variation of it) as a middle name, but I would NOT use the names as first names. I wouldn't want all the stupid questions or for my child to have to put up with that either.
September 9th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
If they were really well known, I would avoid using it.. but if not, then I would use it.

September 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
I would avoid it

September 10th, 2009, 05:39 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really depends on the celebrity/character. Our last name is Richeson which is close to Richardson (but not quite) and for example I would consider using the name Natasha because it's a beautiful name. But if it was someone sort of infamous or so famous that they could never live up to the name I probably would avoid it. I know that's not exactly the same thing, though. Fortunately I can't think of any famous Richesons.

September 10th, 2009, 06:49 AM
mrscheriezach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
It would really depend on the famous name and whether or not it would still be famous/popular for my child's generation. A lot of the time the kid's name makes the reference regardless of last name.

Our last name isn't Skywalker, but we still gets Star Wars references every day. If you name your daughter Hallie, people are going to think of Hallie Berry anyways.

I wouldn't throw out my favorite name ever because it was the name of someone famous, but I also wouldn't throw it out if it was the name of someone I didn't like, and I know most people would. I might try to find one I liked just as much, but I wouldn't settle for one I liked less.
i think thats a good point, a lot of good names get thrown out cause parents are afraid of asscociation, but sometimes it wouldnt be relevant in the kid's generation.

for me it would depend on the celebrity itself.

*thank you cherry berry for my signature*

September 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would deffinitely avoid it ... especially if it was someone very famous and the name was recognizable....i.e. if my last name were pitt, i would never name my child bradley (bad example...but you get it )
September 11th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It would depend on the last name and the celebrity, for example, if I were to marry a Richardson I would totally use the name Natasha if my DH was okay with the name. Yes it is the name of a celebrity, but I've heard nothing but good about her so even if someone in her Generation got that my kid has the same name as the actress, it wouldn't be a bad connotation.

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search