It's funny to me how everyone on here hates the -Aiden names

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
And then everyone IRL loves them! Every time I tell people that my sister's baby girl is named Jaedyn they're always raving about it... "Oh I LOVE that!", ect..

It's weird. Most of the people that like it are younger and they don't have any kids of their own, but I don't know if that makes any difference or not.

I feel like they're all thinking my daughter's name is so stuffy and old fashioned because Jaedyn is so hip and trendy, even spelled "different".

Last edited by Miracle; November 4th, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
November 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I don't think ALL the girls on here hate the Aiden names. But being on a forum means we're constantly exposed to names. Even JM in general between the social subject boards, PRs, DDCs.. we encounter A LOT of names in one day. Most people don't, and don't get tired of certain names as easily. Jaedyn may not seem like old news to someone who doesn't encounter it on a daily basis.

For what it's worth, I love Aiden. I'm not a fan of the others as much. Not because they're trendy or over-popular, but because I just don't like that.

For what it's worth, I don't think Gabriella is stuffy or old-fashioned. Isabella is at least sort of similar, and is very popular right now. It might be a little too feminine and frilly to be on my short list, but I do enjoy the name. And your Ella is just so gosh darn cute.. how could you NOT love her name? Her eyes are spectacular.
November 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Obviously I don't hate the -aiden names since I have a Hayden But could never use any other ones since I already have one, which is actually fine since I don't really like any other ones. I do like Aiden however for a girl.

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

November 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually love Aidan. It's probably my favorite name. But I'm not crazy about any of the other -aden names. I think they take away from my beloved Aidan.
For me IRL, everyone was completely against me using the name Aidan. I received a negative response everytime I mentioned it.

Gabriella is a beautiful feminine name. There is nothing old-fashioned and stuffy about it in my opinion.
November 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
A lot of the reason why -aiden names get a lot of love in real life, but not so much love (if any) on online name boards is because the people online are usually the ones more up to speed on name trends and what's super popular/overused. The average everyday person probably isn't all that aware that the -aiden trend is THE most popular trend for naming and has been for the past 5+ years.

That being said, I really like the name Aidan and always have (every since seeing Aidan Quinn in "The Legends of the Fall"... he's a fox). It used to be on my list. Though with it's fast rise and super popularity, it no longer is. I still like it though.

November 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
A lot of the reason why -aiden names get a lot of love in real life, but not so much love (if any) on online name boards is because the people online are usually the ones more up to speed on name trends and what's super popular/overused. The average everyday person probably isn't all that aware that the -aiden trend is THE most popular trend for naming and has been for the past 5+ years.

That being said, I really like the name Aidan and always have (every since seeing Aidan Quinn in "The Legends of the Fall"... he's a fox). It used to be on my list. Though with it's fast rise and super popularity, it no longer is. I still like it though.
That makes so much sense to me! Thanks for that clarity!

November 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Super Mommy
I know a kid in real life named Aidan and he's so stinkin cute!

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
November 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM
lil.mama.bear's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lil.mama.bear
I do not hate Aidan names at all. Actually Braydon is at the top of our boys list. I do think they are pretty popular but that really isn't that big of a deal. To tell you the truth I have only met one Aidan and one Hayden and I have never met any others. So it must not be real popular in my area.

By the way I think Jaedyn is a cute name.

Beautiful fairy siggy by Claire1979 and dog siggy by Tasha_mae

November 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Super Mommy
I don't hate -Aiden names. I've always liked Aiden and I have Braden on my list. I agree with Niamh, that the girls on here are just up to date with the trends. It's such a popular trend..

Thanks to cavewoman for my beautiful siggy!

November 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM
MREzMommy122807's Avatar Veteran
I love Aiden
EDD: 6/30/2010

November 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Veteran
Niamh worded it perfectly. That being said, Brayden was at the top of my list when I was pregnant with my daughter for a boy. Hayden was at the top for a girl.

November 5th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
my son is named Brayden. I never knew it was so popluar until after I had him and came on JM.

Also my daughters name is Adelynn and I see that name all over the place now. Mainly new mommies
November 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I guess a lot of the women who hated the -Aiden names aren't posting here anymore.

November 5th, 2009, 11:34 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
It's weird. Most of the people that like it are younger and they don't have any kids of their own, but I don't know if that makes any difference or not.
I could see why younger people would be more attracted to trendy names.

And, I think when people are young and/or before expecting a child, they might have a list of "fantasy names". But then, when you're expecting a baby and realize how a name could affect your child's life, you automatically take the decision more seriously. And, all of a sudden, those fantasy names don't sound as good.

I'm one of the women who do not care for the -aiden names. It's not that it's a popular trend right now. That does not bother me so much. The reasons I do not like -aiden names are:
  • I just do not like the sound of them - Hayden, Jayden, Kayden, Aiden, etc...
  • Most of them are unisex and I do not like unisex names on boys.
  • I do not typically like names that have several popular ways to spell them.
If I had to pick one, I would probably go with Brayden. And, I used to like Grayson but decided it sounded too much like Grace in everyday conversations, so I took a liking to Graydon. The latter is probably the only one I'd ever seriously considering using.
November 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh View Post

I ditto this completely. Also, I don't think it's that most of us hate the 'Aiden' names....just many wouldn't use them due to the popularity. I also like Aiden & Hayden
November 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
There are many -aiden names I like: Caden and Hayden for a girl. I dislike Aidan as it was my exs fave name

November 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I like the -aiden names... We've decided on Kaidyn for a boy

August 2nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Thank you. Hayden is a beautiful name. That is why so many people like it I guess.

Last edited by norloon; August 7th, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
August 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I like some of them. I named my first son Aiden, in 2006 when I wasn't aware that it was like THE boy name. lol I like Hayden, for a girl or a boy. The others I don't really care for though. Jaden is okay, but kinda NMS.

Who cares who likes a name, all that matters is that the parents like it. IDGAF who likes my kids names, and I don't offer my opinions about names IRL unless I am asked about it, because it's not my place to be like "Oh Lord, that's a horrible name!" to someone.
August 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by norloon View Post
I have a Hayden and didn't realize how the names would all rhyme. I just thought of them as different names I guess. I am so stupid. I just didn't see it for some reason. Now I feel just terrible about it. It was probably the worst mistake of my entire life, and there is no going back now. I guess we just have to make the best of it. I guess there will develop a culture around all these Aidens, Jaydens, Haydens that they will all be just like, "whatever call me whatever you want" like some other names I guess, or they will just get used to having their names confused and yelled out all over the place because there are so many of them. Bottom line is it is too late to change Hayden's name now. I guess if it ever really bothers him he can just go by a nickname or a different name. If he wants to legally change it at some point we will help him. I did love the name and chose it because it sounded so cuddly and sweet to me and at the same time like a name he could really grow into as a handsome-sounding name for when he grew up, and is an older name with adults that are named that/ a lot of history. There was this woman who said the cruellest things to me about Hayden's name being "trendy" and all this and was just so mean about it, and I really had to keep myself from crying. That was years ago now. It is honestly one of the worst mistakes of my life and I don't see how I will ever forgive myself. That day when I realized about the rhyming names it was so awful. For years now, every time I think about it in this way it is like it stabs me in the heart because he is such a special little guy and I robbed him of the chance to have a special name because I am such an idiot and was biased in my research because my husband loved the name so much. Upside is I asked Hayden the other day "What is the best name in the world" and he said, "Hayden!" and did a little dance. Hopefully this will continue and then he will be all set. All I hope for now is that it remains just my problem and does not become his. I love him so much and can't believe I did this to him. It makes me feel so awful, sometimes I just don't know how I am going to get through this. It is like I forget about it for awhile and then it just bears down on me again full force. I know this sounds so petty and insignificant, ridiculous even, and I suppose it is. But to me it has grown now into a full-fledged nightmare that I will never be able to escape. Somehow, I just have to force myself to think of it differently, stop obesessing, and turn it around somehow or I may have real problems and have to get serious help because of this. I know how I must sound, but please don't say anything mean to me.

Are you serious? If naming your son Hayden is the worst mistake of your life then you are really very lucky! You named him Hayden because you loved the name, you loved how it sounded, you loved the images that it brought to your mind. You husband loved it as well. Sounds like a really great reason to name him Hayden to me. It IS a special name, because it is HIS name...HE is Hayden, his Mommy and Daddy decided to name him that, which makes it special. You act like you stabbed him in the eye thinking that it was the cure for pink eye or something and now he's blind and it's all your fault for stupidly believing something you read online about eye stabbing being the cure for pink eye. I mean, really. It's okay, it's not going to end his world, nor will it end yours. You're beating yourself up about NOTHING.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search