Two Middle Names

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2006, 09:35 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never been really fond of two middle names for a baby, until now. I love the name Kylie Paige, and am set on it, however I really want to use my grandmother's name to honor her, she died almost two years ago and I miss her every day of my life, she was like a second mother to me. Her name was Louise, which for me is too old fashioned to use as her middle name, Kylie Louise So I decided on the birth certificate to put Kylie Paige Louise as her name, then just call her Kylie Paige. DH hates the name Louise but seemed okay about at least putting on the B.C. but actually calling her Kylie Paige.

What do you think of multiple middle names?

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

April 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Veteran
I don't like two middle names, but I think it's sweet you want to use Louise in memory of your sweet grandmother.

I'm not a big fan of Louise either but Kylie Louise would be fine.

Never cared for the name Paige, but would like it more for a middle name than a first name. Kylie is cute!!!

Good luck figuring out what you want to do!!
April 2nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I would definitely say go for it. I never was fond of it myself, until recently I've decided to do the same - also in honor of someone (my best friend who died in a car accident) Why not? I mean it's a wonderul way to honor someone..... I have my heart set on Serenity Grayce, and now it's going to be Serenity Grayce-Lynn..... If it means something to you then do it....

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

April 2nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
TanyaD
Quote:
I don't like two middle names, but I think it's sweet you want to use Louise in memory of your sweet grandmother.

I'm not a big fan of Louise either but Kylie Louise would be fine.

Never cared for the name Paige, but would like it more for a middle name than a first name. Kylie is cute!!!

Good luck figuring out what you want to do!![/b]
I agree with EVERYTHING you have said! LOL
April 2nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Tanookie82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a fan of the 2 middle name thing either. However Kylie Paige Louise flows nice and it is nice that you are honoring your dear grandmother.
April 2nd, 2006, 05:55 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Quote:
I would definitely say go for it. I never was fond of it myself, until recently I've decided to do the same - also in honor of someone (my best friend who died in a car accident) Why not? I mean it's a wonderul way to honor someone..... I have my heart set on Serenity Grayce, and now it's going to be Serenity Grayce-Lynn..... If it means something to you then do it....[/b]

I've been having a really hard time with this recently but I think you've helped. My father passed away in January of 2004 from Lou Gehrigs Disease. He wont ever get to hold his grandchildren and it means a great deal to me to include his name somehow if I have a son. I have no sisters or brothers and he was an only child too, so when I die, the last name dies with me. His first name was Robert (he went by rob) and i'm not crazy about how it sounds as a middle, but wouldn't use it as a middle. Maybe i'll hyphenate his middle name... that'd solve my issues

April 3rd, 2006, 12:22 AM
Stacia
I personally am not a fan of the two middle names but seeing you are doing it in your grandmothers memory I say go for it.

Two middle names was a tradition in my ex's family and it was never very easy for them. The younger kids when starting school had problems with learning to spell and write a third name and would also confuse people when asked their middle name.

Also, when getting older and filling out forms there is usually no space for the second initial or name. One of my ex's sisters found herself in legal difficulties when she dropped the second middle name but didn't do it legally.

I guess on the upside it's unique, not everyone has two middle names!
April 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
~Katie~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you should do what your heart tells you!! If we have a boy we are using 2 middle names to honor our grandpa's....I never was really fond of 2 middle names either until now.
April 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
choochoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would consider using two middle names for my children. It's all about how the name feels to you. Does it feel right to give her the name Louise? If so go for it. It's a lovely way to honour someone that was so special to you.

Sophie xx

NAK - If I'm posting, I'm nursing! Please excuse any typos!

April 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I've never been really fond of two middle names for a baby, until now. I love the name Kylie Paige, and am set on it, however I really want to use my grandmother's name to honor her, she died almost two years ago and I miss her every day of my life, she was like a second mother to me. Her name was Louise, which for me is too old fashioned to use as her middle name, Kylie Louise So I decided on the birth certificate to put Kylie Paige Louise as her name, then just call her Kylie Paige. DH hates the name Louise but seemed okay about at least putting on the B.C. but actually calling her Kylie Paige.

What do you think of multiple middle names?[/b]
I would not personally give multiple middle names. Just b/c one middle name is sufficient and adding another would forever cause problems filling out legal forms, etc. and cause lifelong confusion.

However, I think it is wonderful that you want to honor your grandmother by using her name. That is a nice gesture and if you feel good about it, then you should do it.

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I do think that it seems kind of like you are saying that you want to honor your grandma but not enough for your child to actually use the name, since you don't like the name Louise.

I don't think you should have to call your child Louise if you hate it, but my point is that why even put in on the birth certificate if it will never be used? It seems like an "empty gesture" to do it that way. I apologize if that makes you feel bad but I'm just giving my opinion and would tell myself the same thing.
April 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I would be more likely to use NO middle name, than two.
I considered it for a while, in the event that we had a girl... I've always known I'd use May for a middle name (after my grandma too, actually), but couldn't decide between two first names. But that was months ago, and we've moved on.
If it's something you want to do, there's nothing wrong with it at all! Go for it!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

April 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kiera has two middle names in honor of her grandmother. I like that it's not the norm also.

April 5th, 2006, 06:16 AM
MandieJo's Avatar Member
i like 2 middle names i think it adds uniqueness and individuality to someone personaly but its all up to the name giveres lol.
April 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My third daughter has two middle names, and she's my first to do so. I REALLY like it. I was two months along when my mom told me I'd have another girl, and we were to name her Reagan Marie. When Mom passed away when I was 26 weeks along, my husband decided her name would be Reagan Teresa Marie after my Mom. I love LOVE LOVE it. It's fabulous, and it suits her. That being said, it's up to you.

I always needed some time to get used to my kids' names...hers felt so right.
April 5th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I say go for it! My little girl has two middle names in honor of my grandma and dh's brother. All my kids have "family" middle names and we just couldnt decide w/ella so she got two. Both dh and I have middle names after family and we both love how their is a meaning in our name, I wanted that for my kids too. I wouldnt want 2 super trendy names.
April 5th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to callmecrazy
My Hannah has 2 middle names. When we did it, it seemed like such a great idea. We couldn't decide on the middle name, so we picked 2 of them. Then, everyone and their dog had to ask why we picked 2 names...Why 2? How confusing! She'll never remember them! She is going to hate you for that! Those are just some of the phrases we heard. I started disliking the idea, but now, I'm fine with it. It does carry a sort of uniqueness. She's 3.5 months old now and she is Hannah. We don't use the middle names, just the first one.

I say go for it. It is something that will be with her forever. And honoring grandma is great!

April 7th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I like 2 middle names. My niece has 3!! Olivia-Rose Polly Elizabeth LOL and her Sister is Jemima Juliette Claire. It's not uncommon here for children to have 2+ middle names. I haven't done it with any of my kids, just because their names suited them with 1 but I wouldn't rule it out.

I personally like the name Louise. I know quite a few babies who have been named that It is a very common middle name here too
April 7th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I personally think that 2 names for no reason....there is really no point to it. And I know it's a weird comparison but I say if you are going to do something like permanatly mark your body with a tattoo I say don't be stupid and actually make it something that means something to you! Something you will NEVER regret like an "in loving memory of...." or I myself got one of a caterpillar because it was one thing I looked up to through out my childhood for reasons.

Now what I'm saying is that you giving your child two middle names is going to mean something and you won't or at least shouldn't regret it! I think your grandma would be very proud of you and when your child grows up andyou explain to her why you did it she would be proud to have the name. So if it REALLY means something to you there is no reason why you shouldn't.

Alot of people go through life without telling anyone their middle names so it can't be too much of a problem! Your daughter doesn't NEED to be able to tell people her middle names. As long as she can say her first and second name she is fine and then later on you can explain the middle names just to avoid the confusion!

Have fun and goodluck with your decision.

</div>
April 7th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Beccaboo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Beccaboo
I think it is a personal preference... and I would do it if I found the right name(s)! I have 3 sisters (1 deceased) and 2 brothers and one of my sisters has 2 middle names, but the rest of them just have 1, I however wasn't even lucky enough to get 1 let alone 2!!!! lol!!!

Me - Becky-Lynn (My first name!)
Brother - Skylar John (just 1)
Brother - MacKenzie Alexander (just 1)
Sister - Dawna-Marie Ashliegh (just 1)
Sister - Sarah Anne (just 1 - deceased)
Sister - Sydney Rose Taylor (She got 2)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search