Opinions for our girl

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
Justin (DH) and I still have yet to settle on a name. I've had my lists of names, and he's had his. The general outcome is that I shoot down almost everything he comes up with, and he shoots down almost everything I come up with.

I came up with a lot of names that I liked that one could expect to find in an english speaking country. He seems to officially hate any and all 'normal' names. Even the more rare or unique names I came up with like Paige, Autumn, Dakota, Rylea, etc. all get big-fat-NO's from him.

What does he come up with? Aeris, Tifa, and Yuffie. T_T
(FYI - these are the names of the 3 main female characters in Final Fantasy 7)

I swear that 99% of the names he's come up with are names of either video game, or anime characters.

When I shoot them down for that reason his responce is "At least I don't want to name her Leia" (Star Wars).
(I had mentioned to him that one woman on here was moaning about how her husband kept recommending Kenobi for their boy's name (big Star Wars fan).

I told him, as far as I'm concerned, there is no difference between wanting to name her Leia, and wanting to name her Aeris.

He insists that he wants to name her something involving video games or japan because it's a big part of our lives. You know... working in the games industry...
But that doesn't change the fact that I do NOT want to name my daughter after a final fantasy character.

So what's our compromise?
Well, we've managed to settle on several names that we both 'like', at least a little.

They're all Japanese, but at least they're real Names, and not just some name nabbed from a game.

I guess I'm looking for opinions.
One of my biggest concerns is pronunciation. Growing up with 'Athey' for a name, I'm very familiar with having to correct EVERYONE when they attempt to pronounce my name. It seems everyone assumes it's pronounced like "Kathy" but minus the K. (It's not - the A is long)

I'd like those not familiar with the Japanese language to tell me what your first impression is of how you might pronounce the name, just from looking at the spelling.

I also want people's opinions on which ones they actually like best.

These are the names we can agree on:

Sakura
- Means Cherry Blossoms. Pretty popular name in Japan, and I do really like the meaning. I'm aware of the many anime & video game characters with this name, but that's just cuz it's a pretty common name in Japan.

Yuki
-Means 'snow'. My worry here is that she'd be called "yucky". It's a name I really like, but the pronunciation/teasing thing worries me a lot.

Eiko
- I like this name as a name, but am also aware that it is also the name of a character from FF9... but whatever.

Hanabi
- Means fireworks (literally it's flower of fire, which I LOVE) I got Justin to agree that if she's born on the 4th of July, we'll name her this no matter what- heh. But otherwise, it's not one of his favs.

Naomi
- I do like this name, but Justin insists that if we name her Naomi, her middle name has to be Dream. For those unaware, the Dreamcast's original code-name was the 'Naomi', so he thinks it'd be cool to name her Naomi Dream. I don't mind the hidden meaning as much as I mind the fact that it sounds like a hippy-name.

So I want opinions.
I also like Kaya, but haven't gotten much interest from Justin on that one.

April 18th, 2006, 10:44 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I think its a unique and meaningful idea to name your baby after something important in your lives.. But Yuffie? I'm sorry but I did laugh when I read that..

Sakura -- I have heard of this before on a show I don't remember very well.. I really like it though, I think its pretty.

Yuki -- The correct pronounciation is "You-Key" isn't it? I've heard it vefore, again on a t.v show and I think its cute, NMS though.

Eiko -- Not really sure how to say this one.. NMS

Hanabi -- I really love the meaning, but not really liking the name.

Naomi -- I think Naomi is cute. And Dream is a really pretty name. I don't think many people (who aren't familiar with video games) will make the connection.. I know I wouldn't

Kaya -- Super pretty, I love this name.

Good-luck
April 19th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Eka09M
Sakura-- Suh-kur-ah? Honestly, at first I was like Shakira? Like the singer.

Yuki-- I know it looks like yucky, but I would say U-key?

Eiko-- no clue, maybe I-ko?

Hanabi-- at first when I would look at it all I would see is "Hana-B" but I would probably say "Han-abi" instead of "Hana-bi" does that make sense?

Naomi-- this name is popular in the US on older women I believe... Nay-O-me

Kaya is very cute!!!
April 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
MamaBx3
Kaya and Naomi are my faves.
April 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
LOL I used to babysit a little girl named Aeris and she WAS named after Final Fantasy or whatever that game it!!

Sakura - This is the name of our fav. Japanese rest., I dont like it for a childs name at all!

Yuki - Dont like this at all

Eiko - No way

Hanabi - This is OK
-
Naomi - This is really cute!

Kaya - This is also really cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search