Serious twilight issue

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Super Mommy
Ok my DH and I have one shot at having a kid so unless its magically twins we only get a boy or a girl. We're both totally ok with this but here are my problems because we decided on our names only to figure out that Twilighters are so going name their kids the same names...for a boy it would be Edward Adan (my FIL's name and my DH's name) for a girl it will be Isabella Florence (Isabella because I love Belle from Beauty and the Beast and that's the closest name I can get to it that's close to our style and Florence is cause my dad's name was Florencio) so with an Edward or Isabella should we just find new names or just hope all the twilight lovers pick different names for their kids. I loved the story don't get me wrong I just don't want to answer the same question *oh like the book* Or am I just overthinking this all?
March 23rd, 2010, 11:13 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking since they are both pretty common names I don't think many people would jump to the Twilight conclusion, especially if you only have one child. If you did have boy/girl twins with those names it might be a little more likely for people to make the Twilight connection, but I personally wouldn't notice or think about it. Of course I'm not a Twilight fan.

March 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Super Mommy
That's exactly what my sister said (she's my surrogate) but I told her I'm hoping for fraternal twins cause i'm evil like that and she's not a twilight fan either so she didn't think of it, but my SIL did which is why I started thinking on it...Maybe I just obsess on silly things.
March 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I don't think that the issue would be that Twilighters are going to use those names, just that people may associate the name with Twilight. That being said, I don't think there's any issue with using Edward or Isabella alone...they are common enough that I don't think most people would link them with Twilight. If you had twins and used both then you might have that issue
March 23rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks, I know how important getting the right name can be and now I feel so much more comfortable with just letting it be. You guys are great and there's some awesomely unique names I've seen floating on this board
March 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I wouldn't use both the names with twins, but one or the other would be perfectly acceptable in my book!

March 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I think Isabella is a common enough name on its own, that people wouldn't automatically go "oh - Twilight huh!".. and Edward, to me it's an old fashioned name, so people would potentially be thinking more along the lines of it being used as a tribute to a grandfather etc...

Most impt thing in my mind is that if you like the names - you should use them!

March 23rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that unless you use both at the same time it shouldt be an issue- they are both pretty recognizable names aside from Twilight.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
March 23rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's mainly why she picked those names- she picked names that were popular at the turn of the century, meaning they are at least 100 years old and they are used often. Edward is so common that I don't think you'd get very many Twilight comments at all, if really any at all. It's just THAT common you know?

Isabella has been in the top 10 for about 6 years now, without Twilight being the big thing to boost it. It's just popular on it's own

Used together though would be quite a connection for many people straight to Twilight. Practice saying out loud "these are my children, Bella and Edward" and see how it feels

And as one of the biggest fans you'll find out there on Twilight, neither I nor many people I know that are fans are using those names for kids. More often in the running are Jacob, Cullen and Alice, with a tie of Jasper and Emmett. But Edward and Bella not so much, and really of those mentioned above, I've maybe heard it 3 times total?

March 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Veteran
I think for the time being the association will be there.

A close friend of mine has a son named Harry, he was born a year before the harry Potter books really hit off, so for the first few years of his life it was "OH! LIKE IN HARRY POTTER!"

But i can safely say that now, no one seems to make the connection anymore.

March 24th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
I don't think that Edward is too common nowadays. But Isabella is very common even before Twilight came out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search