Do you ever get asked about any of your kids names?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Do you ever get asked about any of your kids names??

a LOT have people have asked me about Emersyn's name - mainly "how did you come up with that name?" - because it's not a very common name over here, at all... I have never come across an Emersyn/Emerson/Emersen. I am surprised that most of the feedback I've had on the name has been positive! I've had a lot of "oh that's nice!!!" and "it's not common, but not too out there"...

August 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We actually named our baby Emersyn that we lost in Feb. Before I saw your siggy, I had not know anyone that used it.

People usually tell me it is "nice", and "an old name" that they haven't heard in a while. Our 90 yr-old neighbor is named Wesley.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
August 3rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
Usually it's, "How do you pronounce that?" with Adrea and Ryne.

With Brin it's always, "Isn't that a girls name?"

August 3rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aylie - what a nice/unique name, where did we get it from, how do you say it

Layla - just that it's a pretty name. Though an Arabic woman told me all about some famous story in their culture about Layla and (I forget the guys name) that is very similar to Romeo and Juliet, it was interesting!

Rhett - Brett?? do we like Gone with the Wind?
August 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I get:

"Wow, that's Irish." - For Seamus' name.

"Oh, like the Fleetwood Mac song." - For Rhiannon's name.

"How's that pronounced?" - For both (I can understand peoples' confusion with Seamus, but I still don't get why Rhiannon is so hard, lol... to me it's pretty straight forward )

Most people don't care for our choice in names, haha. *shrugs*

August 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hunni
for us it's the spelling not the name....I did have a nurse at my DD's dr. office give me crap for the spelling how crule I was to do that to her, and it's child abuse..how now she will have to go through life explaning her name.
I have also got the how is that pronounced...
with DS hasn't really come up to much yet...but my response to any of them when I spell the names for stuff is "I give my kids normal names I just spell them funny" just to shut ppl up
August 3rd, 2010, 10:48 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
With Josiah, most people my age tell me how much the love the name (surprise, surprise, it's climbing the charts at lightening speed, much to my chagrin!). With older people, they usually ask me to repeat the name and then say that it is unusual but that they like it. The one thing that I did NOT anticipate with his name was how many people would pronounce it slightly wrong. It's Joe-SY-uh, not juh-ZY-uh. Ugh, that drives me nuts!

August 3rd, 2010, 11:16 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Not really, only sometimes people ask how to pronounce Alaina. And a lot of people always ask if Gigi is her real name.

August 4th, 2010, 12:13 AM
RuPaul-O-Saurus's Avatar Super Mommy
I get asked all. the. time!! People ask where we got the name from then almost always try to remember the cartoon it comes from -Scooby Doo- thinking that's how we came up with the name (even though that isn't where we got it from) We're much more into Greek Mythology than retro cartoons. Then I get asked how we spell it -Daphne- the way it's supposed to be spelled! Lastly people ALWAYS pronounce it wrong! It annoys me to no end. It is pronounced DAFF-NEE not DAFF-UH-NEE! (Even MIL pronounces it wrong!) I even had an older lady ask me 3 times in a row if her name was 'Daffy like the duck'?!?! I kept saying no, it's Daphne! Normally younger people think it's a pretty name and really like it, it's mostly been older people who don't care for it.

Kelly, you are amazing and I love you! Thank you for the awesomely cute siggy!
August 4th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep, we get asked. Lots of people tell us they love the names and that they are very feminine. People seem to do well with reading Arya's name, but slaughter Eiley's. I knew how to pronounce both the first time I read them, so I am surprised how many people have trouble with them. I often have to explain that Arya is from Ariel and Eiley is from Eileen.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

August 4th, 2010, 05:54 AM
kristi714's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Layla has always gotten comments on being a "pretty" name

As for one of her middle names Brinley, that tends to get more reaction from older folks such as "Where did you come up with that?" or "how unique" and my age people usually like the name.

August 4th, 2010, 07:08 AM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
I always get the Unique comment.

Jordana always gets "Oh wow, that's pretty. I've never heard that before." At least 5 times strangers have come up to me in public after hearing me call Jordana by name and have said that their sister/cousin/friend is pregnant and that they're gonna suggest that name.

We've met 2 IRL is all

When people see it written they sometimes want to pronounce it
jor-DON-ah or jor-DAY-na but once I correct them they like my pronunciation better:
jor-DAN-ah

With Jacoby's name, at first people wanted to pronounce it JACOB-ee but that Red Sox baseball player is making it more well-known so now we get, "Oh j-KO-be, like the ball player. Cute!" and "Oh if there's anything to names, he's gonna be athletic!"

We thought Jacoby's name would be as unique as Jordana's name when we picked it but we've already met several babies named Jacoby, though some with alternate spellings.
August 4th, 2010, 07:24 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Liam I get "Leo???" or "William?" I usually have to repeat myself. Most people think its nice though I got a ton of negative comments when I was pregnant with him. I've only run into 2 other Liam's so far so its not terribly popular around here.

With Lochlann I get a lot of surprised looks. I've yet to meet another one. Most say its different or unique but also that its a "cool" name and where did we find it. We call him Lochy or Loch most of the time though. Most people pronounce it right though I've had a couple people say "Loch-lin" instead of "LOCK-lin".

Lila just gets "Oh thats so pretty!" Some people pronounce it Lee-la though and it drives me nuts!

Most of our comments stem from the "L" theme though. It was not intentional and if we have a fourth it will be broken.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 4th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I get the ocassional "Where did you come up with that" but mostly an odd look with
"That's different".
August 4th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I still get comments on Xavier's name. I always hear "where do you come up with that??" or "omg how do you spell it?". It's not a different different name. But to older people, it's like a different language.
August 4th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
Garrett- "My cousin's neighbor's dad's name is Garrett" (Someone always knows someone that knows a Garrett) Most people say it is a great classic name, but if they hear us call him Rett we get the Gone With the Wind comment too.

Greyson- "Gracie?" "Oh I thought it was a boy??" "" "Did you make that up?" Thats what the old people say. Younger people all love the name and when we call him Grey everyone, even old people, like it.

We hear twin comments more than name comments.. thankfully... I think?

August 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
I do on Kaiya and Anja. People always comment on how beautiful they are. SOmetimes they'll ask where we got them or what nationality they are.
August 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
With Alexandra we get "oh my goodness... what a BEAUTIFUL name!" a lot. We've never had anything negative said to us about her name.

On the other hand... when people ask what we're naming our new baby... they either love or hate Aurora. We've gotten comments like "wow that is such a beautiful unique name", or "oh just like the Disney princess!" () or "oh wow... that's really different... she's going to have a hard time saying her name"

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
August 8th, 2010, 06:59 AM
amanda_jane15's Avatar Super Mommy
We get lots of comments on both of our kids.
Ezra Kai- what a unique name? where did you get it?
Elize Moriah- what a pretty name! How do you spell it? Elize was her great great grandmother's name, same spelling and everything.

Now we don't plan on using a "E" name for baby #3 and I am a little concerned about that. I dont want baby to feel left out! Anyway our new baby names are Boaz "Bo" and Ruby Grace (The other great great grandmothers name)

Thank you Sharon for my siggy!
August 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Julka
I usually get a lot of eyebrows raised, kind of in surprise, like - "oh, I didn't expect you to say that." But never anything negative. Well, once I had a lady tell me I should've named Natasha - Natalie, but that's about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search