Name stealing

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What is your definition of this? I'm just curious.
August 4th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Regular
When you have a child and someone who you know and are some what friends with has a child some months later and then names their child the same thing and! spells it the same way as well.! It happened to my sister LOL.
August 4th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Put simply, knowing someone intends on using a name and then using it yourself. I don't consider it name stealing if it's a family name (ie- your brother uses James as a middle name and you choose to do so as well).
August 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To me, name stealing is having spoken intentions of using a name and then having someone who you clearly spoke to about "your" names use that same name for their child. It's sort of like calling "dibs" on a name. However, if you haven't told that person/anyone the names you wish to use/plan on using then it's not really name stealing - perhaps they just share a similar taste and you either choose to get over it or use it anyway.

I struggle with this myself, I have a set of names that I feel are "mine" and really pray none of my friends or family use them, but at the same time I DO NOT tell them the names I like because I don't want their opinion and I do not wish to inspire them!

Last edited by ImagineOctober; August 4th, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
August 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Veteran
Knowing someone IRL and using their child's name or name they plan to give to a child in utero. On JM we all live far enough apart this shouldn't be an issue. Unless, well, you live blocks apart.

<TTC #1 since 2007> <Thank you AshyPoo03 for this siggy!>
Lap #1 for cyst 12/9/10-- Lap #2 2/11/11,
Open laporotomy to remove Stage III endo 5/24/11
HSG: 8/9/11

August 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
I know for me I wouldn't care at all if someone "stole" my name. My SIL is due 4 weeks after me...if she named her baby the same name as my baby I honestly wouldn't care. It just doesn't phase me things like that. It was never "my" name..it was just a name I liked. But that's just me. I'm odd

August 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
missmich
I laugh when I hear stories of name stealing! Maybe it's mean of me,but don't share your baby name with people who are pregnant and live close to you or are friends with you.

I won't even share my baby name choices here on JM or on my facebook. Instead I have some fun by coming up with super crazy names! Like Basmati to go with Jasmine,the daughter of my FOB. Both are rice! Or how about Perrito? It means puppy in Spanish and I was supposed to be getting a puppy,now I can't b/c I'm getting a baby instead.
August 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My friend was preg same time as me, and she said "I like this Old-fashion name." I said "please don't say Molly" and she said "that's it, do you hate it?" I said "No that's my baby name" It was funny. She had her little Molly 1st. Then i decided I liked Brooke. My Aunt named her daughter Brooklyn. H#ll, there went another name. I gave up and just let my DH name her. He did a good job. Her name is Kayla. It fits her cute and spunky attitude. I am glad he didn't chose a really old name for her, or a chopped up/made up cutsie name.
It is a hard choice......Do you say the name to lay claim to it, or do you keep your mouth shut and hope no close familyor friends think of it. It is a hard one. I guess at the end of the day, whoever has the baby first gets fist dibs on the name.
August 7th, 2010, 01:36 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its using a name that you know someone else has already said they were going to use for their child. Its the intent as someone else posted.
August 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also think it depends on the "uniqueness" of the name. I honestly wouldn't consider that someone naming their kid Samuel would be stealing it from me, even if I'd mentioned it before, because it's common, and always has been.
If I use Natasha, however, and someone I know hears I like it and uses it, I will be ANGRY!

I also like William, I have a friend whose little William will be 2 when my baby is born. I think it's common enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

August 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
If I wanted to use a name that one of my best friends had ALREADY used on a child, I would ask them to be honest with me if it would offend them if I used the name too. I would never use a name that a super close friend had told me they were planning to use on an as-yet unborn baby, ESPECIALLY if they were pregnant with said baby! I would never do a first name that was the same as any of my children's cousins, although middle names are fair game IMO. I would consider it stealing if one of my best friends or family members used a baby name that I had told them I planned to use, without running it by me first. If they asked my "permission", I would most likely be okay with a friend using my chosen name, but I wouldn't want another family member to use my chosen name.

August 7th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
a very close friend of mine who was pregnant at the same time as me announced she was going to name her daughter Juliana after we had discussed ME using the name several times- even down to the spelling. The name had been very meaningful to my husband and I but her theiving left us feeling bitter.

I know she announced this to everyone to prevent us from using the name (we always wait to see the baby to announce the name) as we were due at the same time and she always went over due while I always went early. Using the name anyways would have been a big tangled mess since she and DH are childhood friends and have a LOT of friends in common.

With her next pregnancy (and I was pregnant again too!) she announced out of the blue that if it was a boy she was going to name him MY boy name first AND middle name. I told her to shove it. Lucky for her she had a girl

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search